GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aww Re-install (Win98) help please.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
I’m not too sure about what to do.

My box is busted. Well, Windows 98 needs a re-install. Now. I have a few options.

1) Format (Dunno how/what/where to do) use the boot disk (Which crashed on me last time..) and re-install that way. But I don’t have a Win98 disk, I have 2 “Master Cd’s” which Packard Bell kindly gave me (grr..) So, I don’t think this option is good, although if you know how, prove me wrong.

2) Use smart restore. I have never used this, and want to know how it works, what it does and if anyone has used it before. I want to know if this will fix my box, or will it just like “Help” it a bit. But not actually doing anything.

Right, I know my box needs a re-install because..

Anything that I download from the internet, like WinAmp won’t work. Not even a Quake 2 demo would work. Hmm, something’s wrong.

Norton has totally crashed and burned on me. I tried re-installing it from the “Master Cd” but no good. It crashes when I run, then the whole system locks up, and I have to re-boot.

Disk Defrag and other important System tools are becoming broken. Etc.

Now, when I re-installed last time, I lost all my internet connections and stuff. I’m on BT, so if I put the whole BT folder on a floppy will it still work? Last time I had loads of trouble, I had to pay for like 2 connections and everything, a nightmare. So, I already have my account and the number to dial so even if it didn’t work (The floppy on BT thing) could I just set up a new connection using the details that I recorded?

Thanks in Advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please helpy helpy a poor bloke!

Cheers :o)
Sun 27/01/02 at 16:03
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I chickened out :o)

*Waits for Bro to come over in 2 weeks...*
Sun 27/01/02 at 11:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, yes, but if the rescue disk doesn't work you no longer have a computer. Ah well, good luck.
Sat 26/01/02 at 15:52
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Can I just format? And re-install using the boot disk.. Ah hell im gonna do it anyway.
Sat 26/01/02 at 13:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you have to type commands it's definitely a DOS floppy.
Sat 26/01/02 at 13:43
Regular
Just call the bloomin help line, just ask them what to type and then as soon as youve started the restore tell them you can do the rest (it is nearly impossible to muck up and if you do just blame them anyway)
Sat 26/01/02 at 13:07
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Its not the DOS floppy, its the floppy that smart resore made for me. Which I know works, but I just have to type the right commands..

(Which I have been trying to find out for days..)
Sat 26/01/02 at 12:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Don't mess about with your DOS floppy, it won't help you.
Sat 26/01/02 at 11:46
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Meh.

This is now getting on my nerves.

But I know this standerd floppy works because I used it last time, but there are soo many options. Its hard.
Sat 26/01/02 at 11:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Not so. The technical support at PB really is a monkey (sorry jess) sitting in front of a simulated computer screen with a troubleshooting database. Some of them know less about computing than Garre does. If the database can't help, then your call gets "escalated" to someone who actually has technical expertise (after a minimum duration of 5 minutes). One more thing, they have a "habit" of guiding you through the 40 minutes installation.

Still, at least you're sort of insured against messing it up.
Sat 26/01/02 at 11:06
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Yeah, then you can pay £1/min for technical incompetance!

you should probably read the post before you criticise (national rate). Actually PB's technical support is surprisingly useful they seem to know there own systems (or at least the bloke I spoke to did)

Its probabl safer to take their advice thanake something out of ours. Then you can complain about their incompetence to them if something goes wrong

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.