GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aww Re-install (Win98) help please.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
I’m not too sure about what to do.

My box is busted. Well, Windows 98 needs a re-install. Now. I have a few options.

1) Format (Dunno how/what/where to do) use the boot disk (Which crashed on me last time..) and re-install that way. But I don’t have a Win98 disk, I have 2 “Master Cd’s” which Packard Bell kindly gave me (grr..) So, I don’t think this option is good, although if you know how, prove me wrong.

2) Use smart restore. I have never used this, and want to know how it works, what it does and if anyone has used it before. I want to know if this will fix my box, or will it just like “Help” it a bit. But not actually doing anything.

Right, I know my box needs a re-install because..

Anything that I download from the internet, like WinAmp won’t work. Not even a Quake 2 demo would work. Hmm, something’s wrong.

Norton has totally crashed and burned on me. I tried re-installing it from the “Master Cd” but no good. It crashes when I run, then the whole system locks up, and I have to re-boot.

Disk Defrag and other important System tools are becoming broken. Etc.

Now, when I re-installed last time, I lost all my internet connections and stuff. I’m on BT, so if I put the whole BT folder on a floppy will it still work? Last time I had loads of trouble, I had to pay for like 2 connections and everything, a nightmare. So, I already have my account and the number to dial so even if it didn’t work (The floppy on BT thing) could I just set up a new connection using the details that I recorded?

Thanks in Advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please helpy helpy a poor bloke!

Cheers :o)
Wed 23/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I’m not too sure about what to do.

My box is busted. Well, Windows 98 needs a re-install. Now. I have a few options.

1) Format (Dunno how/what/where to do) use the boot disk (Which crashed on me last time..) and re-install that way. But I don’t have a Win98 disk, I have 2 “Master Cd’s” which Packard Bell kindly gave me (grr..) So, I don’t think this option is good, although if you know how, prove me wrong.

2) Use smart restore. I have never used this, and want to know how it works, what it does and if anyone has used it before. I want to know if this will fix my box, or will it just like “Help” it a bit. But not actually doing anything.

Right, I know my box needs a re-install because..

Anything that I download from the internet, like WinAmp won’t work. Not even a Quake 2 demo would work. Hmm, something’s wrong.

Norton has totally crashed and burned on me. I tried re-installing it from the “Master Cd” but no good. It crashes when I run, then the whole system locks up, and I have to re-boot.

Disk Defrag and other important System tools are becoming broken. Etc.

Now, when I re-installed last time, I lost all my internet connections and stuff. I’m on BT, so if I put the whole BT folder on a floppy will it still work? Last time I had loads of trouble, I had to pay for like 2 connections and everything, a nightmare. So, I already have my account and the number to dial so even if it didn’t work (The floppy on BT thing) could I just set up a new connection using the details that I recorded?

Thanks in Advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please helpy helpy a poor bloke!

Cheers :o)
Wed 23/01/02 at 19:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Just take down your ISP details (number, user:pass, etc..) and re-input them when/if you re-install.

Using the Packard Bell disks (smart restore, emergency disk etc...) is extremely simple. All you have to do is either put the disk in the floppy or run the program. It's 100% impossible to go wrong.
Wed 23/01/02 at 19:46
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I will slap you Rob :o)

Cheers anyway.
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:10
Regular
Looks like ur comps busted......
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:29
Regular
"How Handy."
Wow, I see the light, that highly technical answer from Dr. Sniper, the PC genius must be really helpful to you gazzy..
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
James, you really have a talent for stating the obvious.
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:34
Turbonutter wrote:
> It's 100% impossible to go wrong.

Yeah, and Debian is 100% easy to install.

That is, in both cases, if you vaguely know what you're doing.. I wouldn't trust my grandfather to do either.
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The way I see it - if it destroys your data, it's working!
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:39
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
*Frightened*

Mm ah well. Its broke. And thanks Sniper :o)
Thu 24/01/02 at 20:39
Just aquire my mobile number off someone.. then phone me when it f/cks over.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.