GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox finally does somthing to impress!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 13:08
Regular
I haven't really been taken by the Xbox to this point, played most of the release games and with the exception of Halo, nothing really stood out! however all that change this morning.
A PR guy from Activision came around today with a preview copy of Reckless, and i must say it's easily the best looking game i've ever seem on a console - period.
Grpahically this is the first time i've ever really thought that the XBox was a generation above the PS2 - i know it's not really but looking at Reckless it was an impossible think otherwise.
And to be fair as i said the code i played was only preview - there was still a bit more optimisation to do as you did get the occational bit of slowdown - nothing to worry about even at this stage but when this game is released its going to kick butt.
The scary thing is the Reckless is a 1st generation Xbox game and it looks head and shoulders above all the 2nd generation PS2 games around at the moment. Just imagine the quality of XBox games in 6 months!

I'm still not buying an Xbox in march as i think it's to expensive, but i have to admit that i think the PS2 is really going to have a tough time keeping up with Microsofts machine this year!

Still getting a GameCube tho!

Anyone else seen Reckless first hand? What you think?
Fri 25/01/02 at 14:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
slaveunit wrote:
> Tyla went into comet and asked how many preorders they had taken for the x-box,
> and of an allocation of 500, they have taken 20 orders.

Well, seeing as Comet are the MOST expensive retailers ever, I'm not suprised. Same happened with their PS2 sales.

Sonic
Fri 25/01/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Tyla went into comet and asked how many preorders they had taken for the x-box, and of an allocation of 500, they have taken 20 orders.
Fri 25/01/02 at 12:47
"High polygon count"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> Despite the iffy line up PS2 sold stagerringly well and
> finding a console for xmas 2000 was nigh on impossible.

Finding one after Xmas 2001 is pretty tough, too.

Even with the games available for Xbox and Gamecube in the US at Xmas, PS2 still outsold both of the other platforms combined, which would seem to back up what Sonic says about the market shares.

It looks even better when you consider that usually, most people flock to new platforms at launch, and to me it would seem to indicate that - whatever the market shares turn out to be in the long run - PS2 will be around for some time yet.

Of course, next Xmas could well be quite different, and in the meantime I would like to see Sony splashing the cash to ensure that they stay at the front of the field.
Fri 25/01/02 at 12:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Natbuc wrote:
> so not sonic the hedgehog then?

Nah... but because NiGHTS! and Sonic were both made by Yugi Naka, I picked the game that people have heard of

Sonic
Fri 25/01/02 at 10:25
Regular
"  "
so not sonic the hedgehog then?
Fri 25/01/02 at 10:23
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Natbuc wrote:
> so whats ur fave game sonicrav?

Of all time:

NiGHTS (Saturn): more original than Jet Set radio or Rez put together... the most original game ever in my opinion.

Mario Kart (SNES): Pure gameplay- I want a 4 player console version now!

Street Fighter 2 turbo (Arcade)/Soul Calibur (DC): I'm just a huge beat em up fan!

Sonic
Fri 25/01/02 at 10:11
Regular
"  "
so whats ur fave game sonicrav?
Thu 24/01/02 at 21:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The_King wrote:
> No i'm not american!
I work as a freelance games journo for most of the major
> magzine publishers (future, Dennis, Paragon, Emap plus Network of the World's TV
> show)

Great. What type of topics do you write, and what style do you use. Ever done anything for Edge out of interest.

I myself used to also be into games journalism, being top writer for many web sites including Total Video Games. Unfortunately, other activities have forced me to quit!

Sonic
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
"Whatever!"
Im well impressed with Wreckless!! Also DoA3, Oddworld, Halo and Project Gotham but still not entirely convinced!! Thats why Im getting a GC instead!!
Thu 24/01/02 at 18:29
"You love us!"
No i'm not american!
I work as a freelance games journo for most of the major magzine publishers (future, Dennis, Paragon, Emap plus Network of the World's TV show) so i tend to get games and consoles for review/preview/news through the post most days. Also for my day job i work for a games/retail magazine - so again i get to see plenty of stuff early - this is how i saw wreckless.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.