GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox finally does somthing to impress!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 13:08
Regular
I haven't really been taken by the Xbox to this point, played most of the release games and with the exception of Halo, nothing really stood out! however all that change this morning.
A PR guy from Activision came around today with a preview copy of Reckless, and i must say it's easily the best looking game i've ever seem on a console - period.
Grpahically this is the first time i've ever really thought that the XBox was a generation above the PS2 - i know it's not really but looking at Reckless it was an impossible think otherwise.
And to be fair as i said the code i played was only preview - there was still a bit more optimisation to do as you did get the occational bit of slowdown - nothing to worry about even at this stage but when this game is released its going to kick butt.
The scary thing is the Reckless is a 1st generation Xbox game and it looks head and shoulders above all the 2nd generation PS2 games around at the moment. Just imagine the quality of XBox games in 6 months!

I'm still not buying an Xbox in march as i think it's to expensive, but i have to admit that i think the PS2 is really going to have a tough time keeping up with Microsofts machine this year!

Still getting a GameCube tho!

Anyone else seen Reckless first hand? What you think?
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:08
"You love us!"
I haven't really been taken by the Xbox to this point, played most of the release games and with the exception of Halo, nothing really stood out! however all that change this morning.
A PR guy from Activision came around today with a preview copy of Reckless, and i must say it's easily the best looking game i've ever seem on a console - period.
Grpahically this is the first time i've ever really thought that the XBox was a generation above the PS2 - i know it's not really but looking at Reckless it was an impossible think otherwise.
And to be fair as i said the code i played was only preview - there was still a bit more optimisation to do as you did get the occational bit of slowdown - nothing to worry about even at this stage but when this game is released its going to kick butt.
The scary thing is the Reckless is a 1st generation Xbox game and it looks head and shoulders above all the 2nd generation PS2 games around at the moment. Just imagine the quality of XBox games in 6 months!

I'm still not buying an Xbox in march as i think it's to expensive, but i have to admit that i think the PS2 is really going to have a tough time keeping up with Microsofts machine this year!

Still getting a GameCube tho!

Anyone else seen Reckless first hand? What you think?
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:19
Regular
Isnt it Wreckless?

Still, it looks good though.

Might just persuade me to get an X-box.
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
The_King wrote:
I'm still not
> buying an Xbox in march as i think it's to expensive, but i have to admit that i
> think the PS2 is really going to have a tough time keeping up with Microsofts
> machine this year!

Y'know, the PS2 is still very much in the same price bracket as the XBox.

Here's the breakdown;

XBox - £299
No Multi-Tap Required
No Memory Card Required
Games @ £44.99

PlayStation 2 - £199
Memory Card - £30
Multi-Tap - £30
Games @ £44.99

Whilst the PS2 is still margingly cheaper, it's not that greater difference. Obviously, for some people it will be the deciding factor, but as it's said, you pay your money, you takes your choice...

But, then of course there's the rife rumour that Sony are to drop the PS2's price to a nice tag of £170, but you didn't hear that from me...;)
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:38
"High polygon count"
Most PS2 games are only £39.99 RRP though - not that it makes much difference.

I haven't seen Wreckless first hand - only screenshots; but it *was* the first game that got my attention. Only problem I had was the amount of lense-flare in the night-time images - it was ridiculously high.
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:45
There is no contest in terms of price - PS2 hardware and software is significantly cheaper.

I've never paid £44.99 for a PS2 game. Not even £39.99 for that matter.

Also - if you don't really need a memory card for Xbox they're certainly taking the mick with it. £49.99 rrp?!!
The Xbox FAQ's state "why do I NEED a memory card?"

So do you indeed only need one to use on other Xbox's (a rare thing I'd say) or do you actually need one for normal saves? £49.99 certainly does not sound good if you NEED it on top of a game and the console. That's £400 before you've even started.....
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
It's used for transferring data, that's it. Game saves are saved to the consoles hard-drive.
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:54
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think people somewhat miss the point...

In terms of price, the Xbox is the SAME as the PS2's launch price, and comes with multitap, modem and HDD built in. To get these with a PS2 would push the price over the priec of an Xbox!

But getting back to the topic... you say that nothing stands out at launch. Well, look at the PS2 launch- possibly the most poor launch titles of all time. The only games that stood out was TTT, which wasn't even a true sequal, and games like RR5 were no better than the PSX games of the time.

Now, I think everyone agrees that the Xbox has an amazing launch by comparison- Halo is said to be a Goldeneye beater, while Project Gotham is easily comparable to the best racers.

Now, I'mn not going to rant on about just how strong the Xbox launch is, but basically my point is this: Had the Xbox and the PS2 launched side-by side with the same launch games as they had, and with NEITHER Sony nor MS having established brand names, then I think everyone would agree that the Xbox stood miles about the competition.

Of course, some smart guy is gonna say "well, the xbox is newer, so it is more powerful"... but this doesn';t affect the qulaity of games on the console- just the qulaity of the graphics, which accounts for nothing.

Anyway, suffice it to say that the PS2s current software generation is coming along really well, and the xbox has got off to a great start. Both consoles are excellent, and any true gamer would admit they'd like both of them. Whether you could afford both is another matter!

Sonic
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:59
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Oh yeah, completely forgot about the Hard-Drive and Modem. Bad me.

Ah well, bring on the games. Me wants Metal Gear 2 and Halo :)
Wed 23/01/02 at 15:04
The PS2 launch line up wasn't that great, but I'd disagree about TTT being the only game that stood out. What about SSX and Timesplitters? I thought TTT was nice to look at, but didn't really offer that much gameplay over Tekken 3.

And we can go down the route of 'What if PS2 was launched at the same time as the Xbox?', but it wasn't. The Xbox is an awesome piece of kit (though the controllers look bloody awful), and it'll be interesting to see how it goes in it's first year.
Wed 23/01/02 at 15:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
MR.COATES wrote:
Also - if you don't really need a memory card
> for Xbox they're certainly taking the mick with it. £49.99 rrp?!!

I've seen the memory card for £49.99 on the offical X-Box site. SR have it down for £28.99, so hope that sticks as I havent pre-ordered any of the games. SR have said that I should get a list of things I can get with the X-Box throught the post. I dont know whether to phone them up and get everything arranged now or wait untill the send me the info.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.