GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Non-Olympic Olympic Sports"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/01/12 at 22:17
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
So, we're here. 2012! Home of what promises to be a fairly shoddy and memorable Olympic Games as it crosses over to London. I'm sure everyone who wanted tickets has probably got them (for different events than they wanted, sure, but can't be picky really).

So I want to ask around here what the people's opinion is on an issue that has literally got everyone in my office who's got nothing better to do (or plenty better to do and no motivation to do it) talking.

Non-Olympic Olympic sports.

That'd be stuff like football, tennis, dressage, shooting, equestrian...you know the sort. Either the ones where winning the Olympic Games is not the pinnacle of their sport (Football, Tennis) or those who take the proverbial with the word 'sport' (Dressage).

So would you rather the Olympics concentrate on the 'typical' track and field sports, or embrace more of the 'unusual' Olympic sports?

I have to say I'm torn. Whilst I'd be sad to see the Beach Volleyball cut from the Olympics, it's got to be said that the concentration should be more on the sports that rarely get the spotlight at times other than the Olympics.
Sun 15/01/12 at 17:19
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
If i'm back home, I may well catch the cycling - should be pretty good seeing it go up Box Hill. This is what the test event looked like.

Otherwise I'm happy to watch it on TV. If only Carrow Road, a few minutes' walk from my flat, was being used for a few football games...
Tue 10/01/12 at 16:12
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm seeing the field hockey. My sister knows I like ice hockey, and was like "I've got us tickets to see the field hockey because you like ice hockey". Can't really see the connection as they're entirely different sports. F1 and football have more in common than ice hockey and field hockey. Still can't complain, probably the only opportunity I'll get to go the olympic games, especially on hometurf.
Tue 10/01/12 at 16:10
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
- Must be able to easily pesent as a competitive event with clear winners and losers (might knock synchronised swimming out).

Do away with diving, all gymnastics, boxing & anything else that requires judges then. This prejudice against synch is ridiculous.
Tue 10/01/12 at 15:39
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
And I'm sure there are players that don't. Whether it is a sport or not, I don't know. It is a tough game to be good at the way the pros play the game.
Tue 10/01/12 at 15:17
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
The players were downing pints during the intervals! But still, it's not really the point. If anything the 'sport' benefits because of that.

It's just.. not. a. sport.
Tue 10/01/12 at 15:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Warhunt wrote:
Grandprix wrote:
[i]Just like to point out that darts players are not allowed to drink alcohol on stage and haven't been allowed for a long time. That belief has been around since the Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch but it isn't true.

Have you actually been to a match though? The 'sportsmen' are just drinking elsewhere or in between. It's the worst kept secret and rule ever surely?

The old 'ten bellies' didn't get the nickname 'cos he can fit 10 pints of Irn Bru in before a match did he?[/i]

I have been to a darts match. What they do off the stage is none of my concern. It's what happens on the stage that is in full public view. What they drink onstage is water and has been like that since 1989. Darts players aren't the only 'sportsmen' that drink alcohol. I understand your point of view but what darts players do after a game is no different to footballers etc.
Tue 10/01/12 at 10:20
"possibly impossible"
I guess you need to define rules for what you want to see so, for example;

- Must involve some skill that the general person would not be able to compete with (a championship sport)

- Physical exertion of some kind. (Archery does require physical strength, as anyone who has held a proper bow will attest to)

- Must be able to easily present as a competitive event with clear winners and losers (might knock synchronised swimming out).

Any others?
Tue 10/01/12 at 08:36
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Grandprix wrote:
Just like to point out that darts players are not allowed to drink alcohol on stage and haven't been allowed for a long time. That belief has been around since the Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch but it isn't true.

Have you actually been to a match though? The 'sportsmen' are just drinking elsewhere or in between. It's the worst kept secret and rule ever surely?

The old 'ten bellies' didn't get the nickname 'cos he can fit 10 pints of Irn Bru in before a match did he?
Sat 07/01/12 at 22:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nin wrote:
It's ostensibly no different from the gymnastic floor routines or diving and requires far more effort and training. Can't say I care to watch it but I've got respect for the amount of effort it takes.

So have I Nin ... but it's hardly an Olympian sport now is it?

Probably more suited to BBC1's 2012 New Year serial winner "Swimming with Arm Bands (in groups)" ... at least the 'gymnastic floor routines' follow the original Olympian ideal ... celebrating the achievement of the human body!

Swimming around and making 'pretty patterns' that can only be seen by overhead cameras, hardly fits the Olympian dream :¬)
Sat 07/01/12 at 20:41
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Dragonlance wrote:
Nin wrote:
[i]There's nothing wrong with synchronised swimming.

So what's right with it? Hardly a 'sport' ... OK swimming is a sport, but 'treading water' isn't!
Imagine ... Saturday Sports Synchro[/i]

It's ostensibly no different from the gymnastic floor routines or diving and requires far more effort and training. Can't say I care to watch it but I've got respect for the amount of effort it takes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.