GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Non-Olympic Olympic Sports"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/01/12 at 22:17
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
So, we're here. 2012! Home of what promises to be a fairly shoddy and memorable Olympic Games as it crosses over to London. I'm sure everyone who wanted tickets has probably got them (for different events than they wanted, sure, but can't be picky really).

So I want to ask around here what the people's opinion is on an issue that has literally got everyone in my office who's got nothing better to do (or plenty better to do and no motivation to do it) talking.

Non-Olympic Olympic sports.

That'd be stuff like football, tennis, dressage, shooting, equestrian...you know the sort. Either the ones where winning the Olympic Games is not the pinnacle of their sport (Football, Tennis) or those who take the proverbial with the word 'sport' (Dressage).

So would you rather the Olympics concentrate on the 'typical' track and field sports, or embrace more of the 'unusual' Olympic sports?

I have to say I'm torn. Whilst I'd be sad to see the Beach Volleyball cut from the Olympics, it's got to be said that the concentration should be more on the sports that rarely get the spotlight at times other than the Olympics.
Sat 07/01/12 at 19:03
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nin wrote:
There's nothing wrong with synchronised swimming.

So what's right with it? Hardly a 'sport' ... OK swimming is a sport, but 'treading water' isn't!
Imagine ... Saturday Sports Synchro

Leeds Belles 1 - 2 Sunderland Stunners (Leeds star swimmer, Linda Lustgrave, sent out of the pool for deliberate upset to treading water) ;¬)
Sat 07/01/12 at 18:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
There's nothing wrong with synchronised swimming.
Sat 07/01/12 at 18:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Alfonse wrote:
Please lay off synchronized swimming. This movie genuinely changed my life

Can't see why? :¬D
Sat 07/01/12 at 16:17
Regular
Please lay off synchronized swimming. This movie genuinely changed my life
Sat 07/01/12 at 15:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Grandprix wrote:
Also, synchronized swimming is a 'sport' that should die a painful death.

With that I will agree, GP
Sat 07/01/12 at 15:04
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Warhunt wrote:
It's just become such a big thing to have darts included. The 'sport' itself is lorded by men who are fat and drink about 8 pints during playing.

Just like to point out that darts players are not allowed to drink alcohol on stage and haven't been allowed for a long time. That belief has been around since the Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch but it isn't true.

Also, synchronized swimming is a 'sport' that should die a painful death.
Sat 07/01/12 at 11:22
Regular
"Monochromatic"
HighflyerVII wrote:
So, we're here. 2012! Home of what promises to be a fairly shoddy and memorable Olympic Games as it crosses over to London.

Optimistic much?

Non-Olympic Olympic sports.

That'd be stuff like football, tennis, dressage, shooting, equestrian...you know the sort. Either the ones where winning the Olympic Games is not the pinnacle of their sport (Football, Tennis) or those who take the proverbial with the word 'sport' (Dressage).

So would you rather the Olympics concentrate on the 'typical' track and field sports, or embrace more of the 'unusual' Olympic sports?

If you take the games out of the olympics there's nothing to differentiate them between the world athletics champions, and no-one really cares about that. By including all the popular sports and making it into a bigger occasion, the minority sports get attention they would otherwise never get. The more the better in my opinion, providing they're actually athletic (ie not darts). Having said that, shooting is hardly a physical activity.
Fri 06/01/12 at 22:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A return to the ethos and decorum of the Original Olympic Games events plus Dominoes.

As the original festival was, in part, meant to celebrate the achievements of the human body ... all athletes will also compete nude :¬)

Now that would be interesting ...but would the weather?
Fri 06/01/12 at 20:30
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Action replays on those Wimbledon-style high FPS cameras? Definitely!
Fri 06/01/12 at 20:10
Regular
Olympic Chess.... with action replays, thats what we all want.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.