GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfect Dark sequel: Before 2004 would be a mistake"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/01/02 at 09:41
Regular
To release a Perfect Dark game before mid-late 2003 would be a mistake.

To hear that it may slip into 2004 is certainly not bad news in my opinion.

Now you might think I'm some kind of crazy fool, but read on, and you might just agree with me.

Look at Rare's N64 titles. They started with a sequel, Killer Instinct Gold, which was poorly recieved on the platform, despite the success of the earlier games on the SNES.

How many more sequels did Rare go on to produce?

Donkey Kong 64, could be said to be a sequel to the Donkey Kong Country games, but it had eveolved to such a degree, many do not recognise it as so.

The only other Rare sequel was Banjo Tooie, sequel to Bajo Kazooie which also appeared on the N64. Though even these two games had around 4 years between the release dates.

Rare don't like to do typical sequels. We could have seen Perfect Dark 2 at the Gamecube launch if all we were getting was a prettier version of the first game, with different levels, a new story, a better framerate.

This might have satisfied many of the fans, but really, would the game have evolved at all? It would just be a typical sequel, nothing special. Rare don't want that.

Look at Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. A fine racing game, especially in single player mode. It could be said that Donkey Kong Racing is a sequel to this. From what I've seen of Donkey Kong Racing, it's nothing like Diddy KR. Instead of vehicles you race animals, and there's also something of a training aspect to it too. It's also been suggested that each race will have you able to pick from multiple routes, and use different animals for different sections of it. That's different, but that's Rare for you!

Perfect Dark Zero, (if that's what it will be) won't be like Perfect Dark on the N64.

We've already had rumours of a 3rd person mode (not the one I made up).

For some reason FPS fans love nothing better than the idea of network play. Huge deathmatches with the opportunity to take on players the world over. A Perfect Darktitle that featured this would be incredibly popular. By 2003/4 people will be used to going on-line with their consoles, and broadband will have gotten that little bit further, and more affordable. If Rare wait until the market is ready for an FPS with online features on a Nintendo console, tehn they can spend enough time making sure that it's just right, rather than releasing a shoddy PD2 now, and a slightly upgraded 'online' version a year later.

Nintendo aren't stupid. Neither are Rare. We don't need this game yet. If we wait, we might just get a game worth going online for.
Fri 18/01/02 at 23:58
Regular
2004... I'll probably be in university by then, unless I take a year out.

(I might go begging Rareware for university sponsership, they're in the same county as me, although I can't put my finger on where.).

As for online Vs Splitscreen, I'd choose Splitscreen but I'd MUCH rather have BOTH.

Yes, along with 2 brothers, I be able to will gang up on and repeatedly annihilate Grix! :-D

Spliscreen + online play combined rules!
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
2004 ay?

Just in time for me to finish uni, and then go join Rare to work on Perfect Dark 3!!!

:)
Thu 17/01/02 at 17:37
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I'd love to play games online or over a network. It adds a greater dimension to gameplay. Single player and multiplayer are fine but I like things big that run smoothly.

If I was given the choice between a 4 player deathmatch of Goldeneye and a 20 player one I'd know what I'd choose. The more the better in my opinion.

And with multiplayer me not having any friends ;-) I hardly get the chance to play the multiplayer feature of games. Internet gamings great because you can just pick up the game log on to a random server and play with some other bored people - there is hardly a time where you can't find anyone to play with. The problem with online gaming for consoles is connections. Really to get the best of an online game we need broadband and that requires better availability and cheaper prices. Until then I can't really see online games on consoles :/
Thu 17/01/02 at 11:24
Regular
"..."
*confused by all the abbreviations*
Thu 17/01/02 at 11:21
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
2004? That seems so far away, Like a dream...
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:54
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Ant, you must learn not to insult Perfect Dark... GasMask will get angry again...
;-)
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:52
Regular
Besides, MGS2 (the most anticipated game on a solid platform which had LOADS of owners) was outsold by Smash Brothers Melee (a fairly anticipated title on a platform that has been out a couple of months and not yet settled fully).

Read page 486 on Digitiser.
I know the lad who wrote it was a biased Nintendo boy who used certain facts to prove his point in a very "Turbonutterish" way, but it made me smile none-the-less! :-)
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:43
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Ant wrote:
> But, PD2 will not have the plot, the emotion, or the characters that MGS2 will.

What? You are saying that the charecters were not good? They dont have emotion? I cannot stand people like you! *Slap* No plot? WHAT? Saving the world from aliens? Gah :o) If thats not a plot then.. Grr *Slap*

> That's why MGS was such a massive hit.

Stop right there. I have heard enough of your drivvle for today Ant. Massive hit? Maybe it was. But MGS2 is supposed to be absolute crap! 80% HAHAHA! Do you see PD getting 80%?! NO! More like 95%+

Ok Ant? :oP
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:24
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
> a better framerate.

That probably would've been good enough for me! :-)

Seriously now though, I completely agree.
Let Rare pour in the new ideas, wait for Nintendo to sort out broadband, maximise the power of the Gamecube and do everything in their power to eradicate slowdown.

I'd rather PSOne graphics than a hint of slowdown. :-)

Grix wrote:
At first I thought: "Good God! That's years away!"
Then I remember it's not the year 2000 anymore.
So I calmed down.
2004 is a good date.

Lol. Similar thought past through me, although I was only as far back as early 2001! :-D

Ant wrote:
>Ah what the hell, MGS2 will be better. {:)

PD's a shooter, MGS is a sneaker.
I'd like to have them both, only even if MGS2 was released on the Gamecube. 50 quid for 15 hours and no multiplayer?
Compare that to the 135 hours N64 Perfect Dark gave me! :-)

Turbonutter wrote:
Apparently The TimeSplitters 2 devvies (the name's just on the tip of my tounge...) won't release TS2 until it's better than Perfect Dark. I'll be surprised if it is, but I'm still quite excited about it and happy to wait.

Well surely it can't be THAT hard to beat an N64 game with the PS2's power!
What are they going to do when Perfect Dark 0 comes out on the Gamecube?!? :-D

Perfect Dark is a long way off but it'll be worth the wait.
It's not as if we won't have anything to play in the mean time.

I promise you all, the 2 years between buying the console and Perfect Dark being released will go by much, much faster than the few months between now and the Gamecube launch!
Still, after the initial sales burst in America, the second batch far from sold out. I think that Nintendo will be more eager to beat the Xbox in the race over the Atlantic.

A few weeks after 5th February that report said...
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:14
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
bah! And the PD plot was better...

I mean, it had aliens! And ... aliens! C'mon... the aliens win EVERY time!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.