GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfect Dark sequel: Before 2004 would be a mistake"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/01/02 at 09:41
Regular
To release a Perfect Dark game before mid-late 2003 would be a mistake.

To hear that it may slip into 2004 is certainly not bad news in my opinion.

Now you might think I'm some kind of crazy fool, but read on, and you might just agree with me.

Look at Rare's N64 titles. They started with a sequel, Killer Instinct Gold, which was poorly recieved on the platform, despite the success of the earlier games on the SNES.

How many more sequels did Rare go on to produce?

Donkey Kong 64, could be said to be a sequel to the Donkey Kong Country games, but it had eveolved to such a degree, many do not recognise it as so.

The only other Rare sequel was Banjo Tooie, sequel to Bajo Kazooie which also appeared on the N64. Though even these two games had around 4 years between the release dates.

Rare don't like to do typical sequels. We could have seen Perfect Dark 2 at the Gamecube launch if all we were getting was a prettier version of the first game, with different levels, a new story, a better framerate.

This might have satisfied many of the fans, but really, would the game have evolved at all? It would just be a typical sequel, nothing special. Rare don't want that.

Look at Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. A fine racing game, especially in single player mode. It could be said that Donkey Kong Racing is a sequel to this. From what I've seen of Donkey Kong Racing, it's nothing like Diddy KR. Instead of vehicles you race animals, and there's also something of a training aspect to it too. It's also been suggested that each race will have you able to pick from multiple routes, and use different animals for different sections of it. That's different, but that's Rare for you!

Perfect Dark Zero, (if that's what it will be) won't be like Perfect Dark on the N64.

We've already had rumours of a 3rd person mode (not the one I made up).

For some reason FPS fans love nothing better than the idea of network play. Huge deathmatches with the opportunity to take on players the world over. A Perfect Darktitle that featured this would be incredibly popular. By 2003/4 people will be used to going on-line with their consoles, and broadband will have gotten that little bit further, and more affordable. If Rare wait until the market is ready for an FPS with online features on a Nintendo console, tehn they can spend enough time making sure that it's just right, rather than releasing a shoddy PD2 now, and a slightly upgraded 'online' version a year later.

Nintendo aren't stupid. Neither are Rare. We don't need this game yet. If we wait, we might just get a game worth going online for.
Sat 19/01/02 at 15:48
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
*Jo finds out Jonathon is an evil spy for the bad aliens...*
*Jo points gun at Jonathons head*

Jonathon-"WAIT! Jo, don't do it!"
Jo-"Give me one good reason why not!"
Jonathon-"Because... because... Jo... I'm not really your brother... I am your father"
Jo-(Taken aback)"Wha... What?!? No... it can't be!"

*Jonathon punches Jo while she is confused, knocking her to the floor, and runs to the edge of the skyscraper, jumping off. As he falls he turns and fires his grappling hook gun, and swings through a window in the opposite skyscraper, to the dismay of the office worker in there...*

------------------------------------------------------------

This vital storyline piece was stolen from Rare's HQ at the cost of four commandos lives, and one of my arms... (it got caught in the emergency blast doors as we made our escape)... oh, and someone lost a leg in the mine field.
Sat 19/01/02 at 15:32
Regular
I know it's near Twycross in Leicetershire...
I know it's in Manor Park...
I know that it's fairly near Coventry...

But I haven't managed to put my finger on it in the map!! :-D

I'll look a bit harder next time. :-)
Perhaps Manor Park is Nintendo owned property that doesn't appear on maps and is barred from public knowledge and access. :-D
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:55
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> 2004... I'll probably be in university by then, unless I take a year out.

(I
> might go begging Rareware for university sponsership, they're in the same county
> as me, although I can't put my finger on where.).

Rare are situated at Twyncross.

Mojo whoever PD is awsome i must agree Chicago the level you are stuck on isn't the best but by the end of it you would be left gobsmacked, one of the best games around.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:50
Regular
Johnathan is Joannas Brother, that is Rare's intension it was said on scribes but weather this will remain in futures games is unknown, RARE hinted at both him being playable and him dying.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:49
Regular
The reason for the slip is that RARE expected the game to move quickly but its moving at snails pace with many blockages as what to do...

So they have had to delay it.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:36
Regular
Prawn Star wrote:
> By 2004 there will be a PS3, if the X-Box sells well, and MGS3. Oh and did you
> know Jonathon is Joanas brother? He was called Jonathon Dark once in the
> game...

Lol.

Dark is a code name! :-D

As to Mojojo, you gave up just like that?
Just because you didn't complete the level on your first or second go?

That attitude really sucks.
Go back and play it and get your money's worth!
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:23
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Strafex wrote:
> 2004... I'll probably be in university by then, unless I take a year out.

(I
> might go begging Rareware for university sponsership, they're in the same county
> as me, although I can't put my finger on where.).

LOL! Have fun trying to get sponsership! Rare did tell me to send them my CV once I've finished uni and lookin' for full time employment! :D

:)
Sat 19/01/02 at 10:36
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
the thing is the GC will kick alot of a*s when its finally released in europe.

If its released a few days after the Xbox what do you tihnk people will do?

Pay £300 on a crappy black box from microsoft?

Or spend half that on a tiny stylish cube from nintendo?
Sat 19/01/02 at 09:23
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
By 2004 there will be a PS3, if the X-Box sells well, and MGS3. Oh and did you know Jonathon is Joanas brother? He was called Jonathon Dark once in the game...
Sat 19/01/02 at 03:17
Regular
"That's right!"
Hopefully they can improve on the original

I got Perfect Dark, had to wait months until I found an expansion pack, then I got stuck on one of the first levels where you have to blow up a car or something. Haven't played it since. What a waste of £50, not to mention £30 for the expansion pack (don't have any other games which need it)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.