GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfect Dark sequel: Before 2004 would be a mistake"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/01/02 at 09:41
Regular
To release a Perfect Dark game before mid-late 2003 would be a mistake.

To hear that it may slip into 2004 is certainly not bad news in my opinion.

Now you might think I'm some kind of crazy fool, but read on, and you might just agree with me.

Look at Rare's N64 titles. They started with a sequel, Killer Instinct Gold, which was poorly recieved on the platform, despite the success of the earlier games on the SNES.

How many more sequels did Rare go on to produce?

Donkey Kong 64, could be said to be a sequel to the Donkey Kong Country games, but it had eveolved to such a degree, many do not recognise it as so.

The only other Rare sequel was Banjo Tooie, sequel to Bajo Kazooie which also appeared on the N64. Though even these two games had around 4 years between the release dates.

Rare don't like to do typical sequels. We could have seen Perfect Dark 2 at the Gamecube launch if all we were getting was a prettier version of the first game, with different levels, a new story, a better framerate.

This might have satisfied many of the fans, but really, would the game have evolved at all? It would just be a typical sequel, nothing special. Rare don't want that.

Look at Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. A fine racing game, especially in single player mode. It could be said that Donkey Kong Racing is a sequel to this. From what I've seen of Donkey Kong Racing, it's nothing like Diddy KR. Instead of vehicles you race animals, and there's also something of a training aspect to it too. It's also been suggested that each race will have you able to pick from multiple routes, and use different animals for different sections of it. That's different, but that's Rare for you!

Perfect Dark Zero, (if that's what it will be) won't be like Perfect Dark on the N64.

We've already had rumours of a 3rd person mode (not the one I made up).

For some reason FPS fans love nothing better than the idea of network play. Huge deathmatches with the opportunity to take on players the world over. A Perfect Darktitle that featured this would be incredibly popular. By 2003/4 people will be used to going on-line with their consoles, and broadband will have gotten that little bit further, and more affordable. If Rare wait until the market is ready for an FPS with online features on a Nintendo console, tehn they can spend enough time making sure that it's just right, rather than releasing a shoddy PD2 now, and a slightly upgraded 'online' version a year later.

Nintendo aren't stupid. Neither are Rare. We don't need this game yet. If we wait, we might just get a game worth going online for.
Wed 16/01/02 at 09:41
Regular
"not dead"
To release a Perfect Dark game before mid-late 2003 would be a mistake.

To hear that it may slip into 2004 is certainly not bad news in my opinion.

Now you might think I'm some kind of crazy fool, but read on, and you might just agree with me.

Look at Rare's N64 titles. They started with a sequel, Killer Instinct Gold, which was poorly recieved on the platform, despite the success of the earlier games on the SNES.

How many more sequels did Rare go on to produce?

Donkey Kong 64, could be said to be a sequel to the Donkey Kong Country games, but it had eveolved to such a degree, many do not recognise it as so.

The only other Rare sequel was Banjo Tooie, sequel to Bajo Kazooie which also appeared on the N64. Though even these two games had around 4 years between the release dates.

Rare don't like to do typical sequels. We could have seen Perfect Dark 2 at the Gamecube launch if all we were getting was a prettier version of the first game, with different levels, a new story, a better framerate.

This might have satisfied many of the fans, but really, would the game have evolved at all? It would just be a typical sequel, nothing special. Rare don't want that.

Look at Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. A fine racing game, especially in single player mode. It could be said that Donkey Kong Racing is a sequel to this. From what I've seen of Donkey Kong Racing, it's nothing like Diddy KR. Instead of vehicles you race animals, and there's also something of a training aspect to it too. It's also been suggested that each race will have you able to pick from multiple routes, and use different animals for different sections of it. That's different, but that's Rare for you!

Perfect Dark Zero, (if that's what it will be) won't be like Perfect Dark on the N64.

We've already had rumours of a 3rd person mode (not the one I made up).

For some reason FPS fans love nothing better than the idea of network play. Huge deathmatches with the opportunity to take on players the world over. A Perfect Darktitle that featured this would be incredibly popular. By 2003/4 people will be used to going on-line with their consoles, and broadband will have gotten that little bit further, and more affordable. If Rare wait until the market is ready for an FPS with online features on a Nintendo console, tehn they can spend enough time making sure that it's just right, rather than releasing a shoddy PD2 now, and a slightly upgraded 'online' version a year later.

Nintendo aren't stupid. Neither are Rare. We don't need this game yet. If we wait, we might just get a game worth going online for.
Wed 16/01/02 at 13:03
Regular
I couldn't agree more.
Wed 16/01/02 at 15:04
Regular
At first I thought: "Good God! That's years away!"

Then I remember it's not the year 2000 anymore.

So I calmed down.

2004 is a good date.
Wed 16/01/02 at 17:26
Regular
"699 days!"
If Nintendo's promise is correct, and the GameCube is really very easy to develop for, then it should take two years more to come out with a top notch game, should it? There was a demo at Spaceworld 2000 of JD, so it looks pretty likely that they have been working on it for a while now. I don't really think it should take four years to develop a game. I thought those days were over.
Wed 16/01/02 at 17:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
2004? Pah. I laugh at a mere few years to wait... Just think how much money I'll have to save to afford all the time I'll spend online with PD2!!!

*counts pennies in his piggy bank*
Wed 16/01/02 at 18:16
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> At first I thought: "Good God! That's years away!"

Then I remember
> it's not the year 2000 anymore.

So I calmed down.

>2004 is a good date.

Heh, I felt that way too.

I'm really tempted to go into a PDark 2 vs MGS2 argument here, but...

Ah what the hell, MGS2 will be better. {:)
Wed 16/01/02 at 18:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Apparently The TimeSplitters 2 devvies (the name's just on the tip of my tounge...) won't release TS2 until it's better than Perfect Dark. I'll be surprised if it is, but I'm still quite excited about it and happy to wait.
Wed 16/01/02 at 18:56
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Thats actually very clever. But, I think we may have to have a "New" FPS just to keep us sane waiting for Perfect Dark sequal. Agent Under Fire? Good reviews. So maybe that? But, thats a very good point about broadband and stuff. PD online. How cool.

Mm, this is making me excited :o)
Wed 16/01/02 at 20:19
With FPS' if you think about it the only way of improving them and making them any better is if you add more levels better framerates, a few new modes, and basically just upgrading and updating, and hoping it sells just as much or more than its previous game.

But in 2 years Nintendo and Rare better cough up something to match or better than Agent under Fire, MGS2 and the like or it won't be worth the buy.

Its like Unreal 2. There has been quite a bit of notice on the upcoming game but there are questions about whether it would be worth the buy with Return to Castle Wolfenstein ands new Half-Life games etc., unless the game can turn millions of heads and hand out a new and better experince in FPS genre games than any other so far.

At the minute I have a PS2 and plan on getting a GC, which I think quite a few people do. So at the minute I am playing things like Agent under fire etc. and after reading things on places like IGN.com so far what Rare and Nintendo plus Ign have said and planned about it, there doesn't seem to be much new that the game could give?

So would it really be worth bringing it out a little later and making the game a stormer. Or a little earlier to compete with other games out at the minute?

For me I think 2004 or MAYBE a little later sounds fine!
Wed 16/01/02 at 20:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Ant wrote:

Ah what the
> hell, MGS2 will be better. {:)

I haven't had a good argument for ages...
;-)

What?!? MGS2 will be better than PD2?!? I fart in your general direction, oh uneducated one!

MGS2 will be in no way even competing with PD2. MGS2 is a third person stealth em up game with some shooting, while PD2 will be a 1st person shooter (even if the rumours about a 3rd person mode are true, it'll be predominantly 1st person) so the two games will have little in commom. PD2 has an edge with outstanding multiplay, and a legion of gamers who will buy the game for multiplay alone, especially if it is online. The single player will also be extremely strong, and extremely hard too, and I've no doubt that the single player will be harder to complete (on the Perfect Agent setting anyway) than MGS2 will, so PD2 will have greater 1p longeivity too. PD2 also has weapons with dual functions, intelligent mission objectives, a good learning curve, no doubt earning cheats, and probably a load more extras thrown in as well as something from Rares strange, British sense of humour.

PD2 wins, no competition, even if I did say the two were different genres, and so pretty incomparable...

;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.