GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eternal Darkness (Well, until dawn...)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Eternal Darkness'.
Mon 03/02/03 at 08:40
Regular
After deciding against sleep last night, I spent a little while on an internet chess thing. Call it homework for the forum match :^)
Being completely new, I had the low starting rating. When I beat someone who clearly considered himself pretty good, as his ego-massaging rating supported (I was a bit lucky - I was playing overly offensively, just cos it's more interesting (yep, chess, interesting. Odd one.), and it didn't go horribly wrong), he tried to accuse me of cheating. Exactly how it's possible to cheat when the computer restricts everything you do is beyond me, I'm pretty sure he was just a very sore loser.
The I played a couple more people who were quite offensive (nasty personality, not chess style) too.
I don't like these strange chat forum nerds
;^)

I think they place too much of their self-esteem in being better at chess than the last random stranger they met...

Anyway, leaving the chess field (?) I picked up Eternal Darkness. It's been around for a couple of weeks, but with Tonty Hawk's 4 and exams, it hadn't got a look in. Not a single play. Hadn't even registered the pin (and no, you're not having it :^P ).
After Resi disappointed me I wasn't expecting all that much from ED.

I couldn't have been more wrong.
That game rules.

The controls, especially attack controls, felt a bit awkward at first, still do when it takes more than one or two hits to kill an enemy, but it must have been balanced into the game difficulty I think.
Other than that, the gameplay is supurb. Can't fault it. Maybe the puzzles could get a little 'zelda' - ie, you spend a week trying to figure one thing out, then you see the solution, and it was all so obvious... - but it hasn't yet.

But the insanity effects... Damn. That. Game. Is. Good.

Entering rooms and finding myself somewhere I didn't expect, I'm still not sure if one of those was insanity or actually me getting lost...
The knocking on the doors also got inside my head, as did the statue head for that matter.

Still, without spoiling anything, the bit in the bathroom was *the Daddy* of gaming moments. I spent the next five minutes wincing whenever I pressed B :^)

Clocked up 2 1/2 hours so far, and completed 3 chapters. I have the next one waiting for when it goes dark tomorrow night :^)
Tue 11/02/03 at 15:40
Regular
Realised that I was stuck someplace else, and just being big and lame.

With the summon trapper thing, after you return to your character (with the start button), can you resume control of the trapper? Or do you have to make a new one?

Best bit of the game so far - my summoned trapper following my character through one of those booby-trapped corridors - I avoided the pannels on the floor that trigger the traps. The computer just had my trapper following me around, it walked over a pannel to set one off and got crushed.
Simple things... :^)

Best insanity effect:
Either the windows-style blue screen - had me suckered the first time - or sitting in the dark, with a bunch of insects crawling over the screen.
Ĥ^,

That game rules.
Mon 10/02/03 at 22:48
Regular
Completed Eternal Darkness and what can I say really, absoloutly fantastic game. Loved every minute of it, I gotta say it spank Resident Evil witha big enchanted spanking bat.

Resi was superb but ED was even better.

I can easily see myself playing through the game another 2 times on the diferent paths, mainly too the other bosses but also t use the weapons again. They're all so sweet...well maybe not the crossbow and flintlock pistol but the rest are so realistic and fun to use.

It's such a stress relieving game, enchanting your weapon then going sick on a bunch of Zombies chooping limbs off is just so much fun. The finishing moves all look brilliant, especially with the firemans axe.

The storyline was great, I'm a massive Horror movie fan and all the Edgar Allen Poe references and well researched back story just made it for me.

Brilliant game, i can understand that it won't be for everyone but then again, originality isn't something that tends to go down well with the majority of the game playing public.

Another thing is teh sanity effects, there's just so many of the bloody things. Some are a bit annoying admiteddly, but some really do screwwith ya head. A paticular favourite of mine was a very subtle effect where a fly walks across the screen, I told myself that it was just a sanity effect yet I still had to get up and hit the TV screen just to make sure.

I just hope they don't try and make a sequel, the only way it would work is if it was set in the future but that would just spoil it.
Mon 10/02/03 at 22:29
Regular
This game so far has had the nasty habbit of staying in its case and not in my GameCube console. At first I was dubious about the game but I quickly got into it and began to thouroughly enjoy it. However since getting to the Dr. Roivas chapter I haven't played it since. For those who have a Dolby Pro Logic 2 system will know how disturbing this game is in full surround sound. At one point I felt that I was going insane as all the screaming effects were coming from every direction and I don't like turning the volume down because I have it set for a good Dolby Digital level for my Xbox games and DVD's. I will get back to it once half term starts next week but during the week I can't bring myself around to sitting down and playing through the game.

I can't see myself going back through the game multiple times as I feel that the combat doesn't offer enough to make the game different a second on third time through taking the different routes. I can't really comment until I complete the game as to whether or not the game is worth playing a second or possibly third time through. For me I feel that Resident Evil is a stronger game but that is coming from a Die Hard Resident Evil fan on my 3rd time playing through the GameCube remake and aiming to collect all the hidden items and secrets. Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil are almost COMPLETLEY different games and the only thing that ties them together is the survival horror idea. In terms of scares I have found that Eternal Darkness is actually more disturbing and generally it makes me more nervy, however in terms of gameplay I enjoy Resident Evil more and the style of the game fits the type of game I enjoy perfectly.

Both great games and I may change my mind yet about which I favour. For now though I will stick with my decision about Resident Evil being the more enjoyable game.
Mon 10/02/03 at 22:03
"The Will of D."
I only ever used guns for getting rid of those annoying trappers, well if I don't want to get trapped by them anyway.
For the summoning a moster thingy I never used them in a battle especially one Horror agains another or a horde of Zombies.

My fav melle weapon has to be the Mace, it's the most powerful of the lot to knock the enemies down.
Sun 09/02/03 at 23:19
Regular
yeah

I like standing on the stairs and firing the elephant gun, and watching the recoil send Edward flying back down the staris :D
Sun 09/02/03 at 23:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I agree.

I only ever used an enchanted elephant gun on the guardians on Edwards chapter. Apart from that and Michaels quality rifle (and the glock for Trappers) I used melee weapons. On chapters like that reporter one in Amiens, the guns are useless.
Sun 09/02/03 at 23:07
Regular
I killed myself with the grenades :(

I neve ruse guns in ED, the melee weapons are so much better.

With the exception of the elephant gun :D Especcialy when you enchant it.
Sun 09/02/03 at 22:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Use the assault rifle Tilatwhirl!

Set on 3/fully automatic round bursts, you can take down anything in about 3 seconds!

The grenades are pretty handy too.....
Sun 09/02/03 at 21:51
"For the horde!!!!"
there is an offer at the moment offering 3 games with a GC one of them is ED
Sun 09/02/03 at 21:46
Regular
This game rocks so much, it's easily one of my favourite games on Cube now and I have to say it's better than Resident Evil. I absoloutly loved Resident Evil but ED is just so original and brilliant and stuff.

I like using the Elephant gun on the 9th chapter and shooting the Servants limbs off, mwhahahaahahahahaha.

I'm on the Fire fighter level now, love using the fire axe on Zombies, mucho limbage choppage. Haven't used the machine gun, rifle thing yet I'm saving it for the right moment.

Superb, if you don't own it already then run out and buy it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.