GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC vs Consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 19:39
Regular
who else finds the narrow-minded people who only ever consider consoles to overpower the PC very idiotic?

ive asked around at my school and alsmot everyone who plays the console thinks that consoles are WAAAAY better than PC's - at least 'for gaming' they said. WAKE UP PPL. the specs of most top half PC's today dwarf the tiny consoles that keep spewing out of mindwarped companies. no matter how hard they try, xbox online, ps2 hooking up to modem, PC's will ALWAYS be one step ahead, be it technology, power or even looks. everything about the PC is that much better than any console out to date. THE plans for gamecube 2 or PS3 that may arrive in the future, are already out of date, for PC's are growing in power at an astonishing rate. only a few monthas ago, i saw 2.4 ghz PCs being the top spec out to date, and not only that but a few years ago, 500mhz was top of the range, and while PS2s and xbox's have showed an improvement over their previous type, the PCs will always be growing and will NEVER be out of date, constantly improving and never falling behind any petty console. EVEN MICROSOFT submitted to making a console, which is quite foolish, as they should have concentrated on improving their own OS and other small details that would ultimately make PC users lives that little more smooth.

i find it a shame that so many people have been brainwashed by the fancy ads that overrate the console entirely. but generally, PC's are usually owned by the more intelligent of society (hehe unless ure an exception, like me :) ) while consoles that simply switch on and take hours to load or do anything for that matter, belong to the young people of narrow minds.

this is merely my opinion, but im sure that other pc users out there are sick of seeing more and more people buying machines that may instantly be out of date and thrown to the back of the shelf to make way for a new improved model.

what do yall think?
Fri 04/04/03 at 15:30
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Apart from Medal of Honour, all the games you mentioned have poorer graphics than the 3 games I mentioned, in my opiion.
Fri 04/04/03 at 15:18
Regular
"A man with a stick"
GTA3, GTA: Vice City and The Getaway look good, but pale in comparisson to Mafia. Then you've got Vietcong, warcraft 3, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, Morrowind, No One Lives Forever 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Oblivion Lost, Battlefiled 1942, Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, Command and Conquer: Generals and on and on ect..

All those games, and many more that I could mention but wont because I dont have the time or patients, look equal or as good as any console game I've played, and I should know, I have two consoles along with my beast of a PC.
Fri 04/04/03 at 15:02
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I disagree with people who say PC games are more powerful than consoles games. You may start rolling of system specs to impress and say "hey, the PS2's power is like the mole on my left buttock cheek in comparison to my PC", but PC games rarely use that power.

If you put aside the Unreal and Quake games, have you ever seen a game on the PC that has better graphics than Tekken Tournament, Dead or Alive 2 or Time Splitters? These are pritty old PS2 games I know but they are better than the average PC game that gets churned out today.

I rest my case.
Fri 04/04/03 at 14:51
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I haven't needed to upgrade myself in a fair few weeks, and when I do it doesn't cost as much as some console owners would like to believe.
Fri 04/04/03 at 07:44
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Indeed. I think PC budget games are great- I got a whole load of classics for £4.99 each! Anyway, PCs are better than consoles in one respect- they can be upgraded. I know someone who has been constantly upgrading his PC since the early 90s. According to him, cheaper than getting a new one. But he has got 2 or 3 others...
Thu 03/04/03 at 11:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Oh yerah, and as for the playstation platinum range, what if I told you that for the same amount of money it is to buy a platinum game (£20) I could get six budget PC games! now then, if I wanted to get six playstation budget games it'd cost me £120 so you work out which is cheaper.
Thu 03/04/03 at 11:24
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Plasmaball wrote:
> And whoever stated that pc games are
> cheaper are wrong.

That's funny, because I bought Metroid Prime last week which cost over £35, and I also got Delta Force: Black Hawk Down for the PC which cost me £23. IF thats not cheaper then got knows what is, I just think you need to shop around more and avoid getting ripped off.
Wed 02/04/03 at 23:44
Regular
Maby you people are missing the point of it all. You are all flying your flag under one choice and ignoring the other. Truth be told, for pure gaming purposes, consoles are better, but if you need to do ANYTHING else than pc is the way to go. Dont you people out there see the most improtant difrences?

So to lay it out, once and for all, here's the arguement.

1. Ultimatly customisable. You can stick all the bits on the ps2 as you like but wont have a foot to stand on against a pc.

2. Excsessive power. The PC has more go in it than a can o beans and considering the DC had a 50MHz processer nuff said.

3. Aint just games. When we all grow up a bit and smell the coffee PC will still be their to help us type our cv's.

4. Ease of use. Consoles rule the roost here. You go in, buy it and thats it, all you need to play. Can you stick in a game and load it in 15 secs? can you hell.

5. My wallet burns. Once again Consoles get one in. I read you people talking on here about spending 700-1000 clams or more. And how much is a GC? whats that? £100? Ill be.

6. Games and i want em. Well im sorry but pc has it again. Its true. Add together all the xbox,GC,PS2 and GBA games relased in one month, and PC triples this figure. And whoever stated that pc games are cheaper are wrong. New releases are just as expensive and the cheaper ones are older. Console games do this too but they call it platinum or classics or something.

7. Controls. Well now this is a tie breaker. Its the game that counts. Sure the flight sim and the first person shooter are better on the PC0 because of the mouse and keyboard but have you tried tomb raider and resident evil on pc? total poo. So it all depends on the game.

8. Eye candy. Ah well youd think that the pc would win hands down? well think carefully and read what i have to say... A consoles maximum power is fixed at a set value. Games get better as they utalise more of that power. PCs may be more capable, but everyones maximum power is diffrent, and the game has to be able to give off a cruddy image to cope on slower machines. This unfortunatly means that the time spent on developing this is time not spent maximising graphics. So in reality, unless you spend £2000 on your PC, get a console.

So you see? the diffrences are all there and each wins in their own field. i think whoever started this tread just wanted an arguement because there can never be a true winner.
Thu 27/03/03 at 20:12
Regular
Memorandum wrote:
> Um....I find that self-built PCs are much faster and more stable than
> shop-bought ones....

mostly true, but you have to know EXACTLY what you need, whereas you know that the system is fully compatible if you buy it whole. i got my base unit for about 300 quid from a computer fayre in coventry, and my dad got his for 275 at a fayre in a college near us i think - both were (being about 2 years ago) held by the same ppl. if anyone has heard of it then go, they have REAL cheap stuff there, including massive sound systems and loads of games, and whole PC's for that matter. Topstuff, really! :D
Thu 27/03/03 at 20:07
Regular
Der Nazi wrote:
> I find keyboards better- more controls to programme.

true, you cant play a flight sim with a joypad can ya?

another thing, i had an enlightening experience earlier today - i played GT2 on a PS2 and i was shocked. it was crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

man, if only they released it on pc, it'd be way better. i know there's the GT3 collection, but it just aint the same.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.