GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC vs Consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 19:39
Regular
who else finds the narrow-minded people who only ever consider consoles to overpower the PC very idiotic?

ive asked around at my school and alsmot everyone who plays the console thinks that consoles are WAAAAY better than PC's - at least 'for gaming' they said. WAKE UP PPL. the specs of most top half PC's today dwarf the tiny consoles that keep spewing out of mindwarped companies. no matter how hard they try, xbox online, ps2 hooking up to modem, PC's will ALWAYS be one step ahead, be it technology, power or even looks. everything about the PC is that much better than any console out to date. THE plans for gamecube 2 or PS3 that may arrive in the future, are already out of date, for PC's are growing in power at an astonishing rate. only a few monthas ago, i saw 2.4 ghz PCs being the top spec out to date, and not only that but a few years ago, 500mhz was top of the range, and while PS2s and xbox's have showed an improvement over their previous type, the PCs will always be growing and will NEVER be out of date, constantly improving and never falling behind any petty console. EVEN MICROSOFT submitted to making a console, which is quite foolish, as they should have concentrated on improving their own OS and other small details that would ultimately make PC users lives that little more smooth.

i find it a shame that so many people have been brainwashed by the fancy ads that overrate the console entirely. but generally, PC's are usually owned by the more intelligent of society (hehe unless ure an exception, like me :) ) while consoles that simply switch on and take hours to load or do anything for that matter, belong to the young people of narrow minds.

this is merely my opinion, but im sure that other pc users out there are sick of seeing more and more people buying machines that may instantly be out of date and thrown to the back of the shelf to make way for a new improved model.

what do yall think?
Sat 08/02/03 at 12:05
Regular
"A man with a stick"
There are sequels everywhere, and yes plenty for the console market as well. There are much more PC games out this year that I want then there where last year, so there will be plenty to choose from.
Sun 09/02/03 at 12:14
Regular
i gotta agree that UT2K3 shocked me - in a bad way. theres just something about it, i find its basically a show of graphics, which it is nothing more, but when you start looking at the technology and not the game, it seems pointless to even play it.

take red faction for example, its nowhere near the technology or the engine capabilities of UT2K3, but i find its much more playable.
UT2K3 really is not as good as the first for a couple o' reasons-

1> gameplay seems to be slower
2> its adopted a less arcadey style to it than the first.
3> it sounds crazy but when i looked at it from technological points of view i liked it, but when i actually played the game itself, i didnt like it.
4> not a lot of PC's can run it very well, like mine.

another point - Sn][per, if you think PC's are good only for RTS then you are very wrong.
i personally think that even though there are many RTS's out there, thats not the beauty of PC. The pc is a multi functioning system with quite a bit of versatility. my own PC takes the role of:

>music player
>games player (an theres lots of em)
>net viewer
>work desk
>method of chat
>anger management centre - blue screen :D

all in all -> Entertainment Centre

Console roles:

>music player
>games player

all in all -> Plastic box :D

u might think im one of those arrogant ppl that 'simply must have the latest and greatest technology and nothing less' :D , but my own PC is hardly top of the range, but it can do all those above with gr8 ease, but only a few years ago, while in middle school & even half a year in the beginning of high school i used to spend my time on my PSone, which gave me plenty of things to do, but it wouldnt last long term, when my dad bought me my first PC, a humble pentium 1 166mhz with 4mb graphics, i started to realise there was something out there that could give me a bit more than just games- a PC, and it all started there. what the last piece of spam had to do with the whole friggin topic i dont know but it made my post look bigger :D
Sun 09/02/03 at 12:19
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Flight sims.
>
> Consoles simply don't have enough controls to perform them
> effectively.

And Flight games without the whole sim bit too. Consoles just can't handle all the necessary options and so the games are either over-simplified or they add in huge menu lists and it ruins the entire atmosphere.

Of course that huge 40 button mech controller thing they made could be adapted excellently for some flight sims.

Probably.
Sun 09/02/03 at 21:40
"For the horde!!!!"
i thing games on the pc are better at aborbing me than consoles, i prefer Morrowind a lot more than FF10
Sun 09/02/03 at 22:14
Regular
Morrowind is both a console game and PC game so using that as an example to promote PC gaming isn't very wise.

To me Console gaming is an out right winner over PC gaming purely and simply because of the genres I enjoy and because I got sick of looking to see if my PC had the requirements for the latest games. The way I see it consoles:

1. Are almost hassle free.
2. Contain less wires.
3. Games run without specification worries.
4. I enjoy console controllers more.
5. I can pick up and play a console without spending time booting etc.
6. I am a big fan of fighting/driving games and so far consoles are
generations ahead in both these genres.
7. Console games have always ran smoother for me.
8. Consoles are initially a lot cheaper.
9. I can't afford the updates.

I enjoyed PC gaming so much at one point that I had to stop because I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep updates going and I would end up missing out on more powerful games. This was at the time of the Max Payne release for the PC when I found that my Graphics Card wasn't compatible and everytime I started the game it went to an error screen. Thankfully the Xbox wasn't too far away from launch and the way I saw it was the Xbox is the nearest substitution for PC gaming. The final straw was the slow down on Operation Flashpoint as my prcessor wasn't fastest enough to run the game, from here on I would only use my PC for Deus EX and school work.

Operation Flashpoint, Halo, Deus EX 2, Doom 3, Morrowind, Max Payne etc are out/coming out on the Xbox which means hassle free gaming without losing out. I played Max Payne on both the PC and Xbox and I felt that the Xbox version was graphically stronger and because all Xbox games are encoded in Dolby Digital I could hook it up to my 5.1 system and enjoy the highest quality of sound. The other day I was looking at the specifications for C&C Generals and I couldn't believe how dated my PC was/is compared to what the game requires to run. Strategy games will always run better on the PC however with the advances in console controllers I enjoy playing FPS games on my Xbox and GameCube.

RPG always used to run better on PC's but with the likes of Skies of Arcadia, Morrowind on the Xbox, Final Fantasy etc consoles now have their fair share of RPG that can compete with any on the PC market. If I had a powerful PC which could run the latest games then there would be no question about returning to PC games, however I do feel that the Xbox is equally as good and in terms of games released the calendar doesn't differ enough to make me go out and spend £1000 on a new PC. The future of PC gaming will appear on the Xbox and Xbox 2 and for Nintendo games I will purchase a Nintendo console. The way I see PC gaming lies within my little (or big ;) black box sitting under my TV and the future of platform games lies within my little (very little) GameCube sat right next to it.

Anyone agree with that my points are valid?
Mon 10/02/03 at 19:43
Regular
It depends wgat games you want.
With PC if its on it it may not be compatible on yours and so wastes time.
Mon 10/02/03 at 20:48
"Darkness, always"
If you know what you're doing, *any* game is compatible with a decent PC.

This is why we have emulators.
Tue 11/02/03 at 14:05
Regular
"A man with a stick"
and the trouble with conversions? They conversions of the games I want.
Sat 15/02/03 at 09:17
Regular
"Yum, Pedigree Chum"
I think that consoles will overtake P.C eventualy but until then I will always use my P.C because its reliable even though you cant get some of the cool games on consoles but they come out eventualy. I REST MY CASE
Sat 15/02/03 at 12:54
Regular
"A man with a stick"
cipro wrote:
> and the trouble with conversions? They conversions of the games I
> want.

Wow, what the hell? Dang spelling mistakes, I didn't notice that before, anyway:

And the trouble with Conversions? They're conversions of games I don't really want.

That's bnetter.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.