GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC vs Consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 19:39
Regular
who else finds the narrow-minded people who only ever consider consoles to overpower the PC very idiotic?

ive asked around at my school and alsmot everyone who plays the console thinks that consoles are WAAAAY better than PC's - at least 'for gaming' they said. WAKE UP PPL. the specs of most top half PC's today dwarf the tiny consoles that keep spewing out of mindwarped companies. no matter how hard they try, xbox online, ps2 hooking up to modem, PC's will ALWAYS be one step ahead, be it technology, power or even looks. everything about the PC is that much better than any console out to date. THE plans for gamecube 2 or PS3 that may arrive in the future, are already out of date, for PC's are growing in power at an astonishing rate. only a few monthas ago, i saw 2.4 ghz PCs being the top spec out to date, and not only that but a few years ago, 500mhz was top of the range, and while PS2s and xbox's have showed an improvement over their previous type, the PCs will always be growing and will NEVER be out of date, constantly improving and never falling behind any petty console. EVEN MICROSOFT submitted to making a console, which is quite foolish, as they should have concentrated on improving their own OS and other small details that would ultimately make PC users lives that little more smooth.

i find it a shame that so many people have been brainwashed by the fancy ads that overrate the console entirely. but generally, PC's are usually owned by the more intelligent of society (hehe unless ure an exception, like me :) ) while consoles that simply switch on and take hours to load or do anything for that matter, belong to the young people of narrow minds.

this is merely my opinion, but im sure that other pc users out there are sick of seeing more and more people buying machines that may instantly be out of date and thrown to the back of the shelf to make way for a new improved model.

what do yall think?
Tue 11/03/03 at 15:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Specs:

Pentium 4, 2.8ghz processor
16x DVD drive
CD-ReWriter 48x12x48
60GB Hard Drive
512MB memory
6 Channel audio (Which i replaced with an EAX powered audigy 2 sound card)
Graphics chip SIS 651 (which I replaced with a bog standard GeForce 4)
3.5" floppy disc drive
56K modem (again, I replaced it with my broadband modem)
4x USB 2.0 ports

It's a base unit as well, so it replaced everything of my old computer except the scaner, printer and monitor, so I guess that saved me a few quid.

I got it from PC world which is odd because I don't like shopping there for anything PC related, but I went on their site to have a look anyway, and low and behold there was my future PC. It's actually better shopping at PC world online than it is in the hight street.

Check out www.pcworld.co.uk if you're interested in the same deal I got, the computer I bought may not be up now, but they have a wide selection of other PCs to choose from at near enough the same price.
Tue 11/03/03 at 16:44
Regular
Eclipse-computers.com do pretty good kits and systems. i saw 256mb DDR RAM for about 20 to 30 quid - cant remember. dad got his XP2200+ motherboard from there - and a 1.8ghz athlon for about 130 quid. now i'd call that good.

im goin there meself soon to get me a motherboard kit that CAN run ut2k3 - seeing as i do use my pc for games mainly.
Tue 11/03/03 at 16:45
Regular
because my PC that i have in front of me has 900mhz with 380mb RAM(dont know what data rate) and a geforce 2 MX, and it does run UT2k3 at 800x600 at medium settings with an average of 20 FPS (plus software sound turned on) but thats hardly enough for me.
Sat 15/03/03 at 21:01
Regular
"Oops..."
Pc's are generally better than consoles in my opinion, because:

1)Their Games are cheaper

2)Their game developers are much more devoted than their console counterparts, just look at all the crap PS2 developers throw up.

3)PC's are much faster, have better specs and can be used for a wide range of purposes, like the internet, and for using word etc...

However, I don't like PC's for these reasons:

1)If you have a home built machine (like me), some games are prone to crashing, and my explorer program keeps crashing.

2)For a console, you don't have to worry about whether the game will run on your set-up.

3)Consoles are better for split screen gaming, with 4 friends in the same room, but although I have never tried gaming online on a console, I think the PC is better for online multi because of the wealth of mods and add-ons you can download from the net.

So, as you can see, I think the PC wins it by a fairly big margin.
Sat 15/03/03 at 22:00
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Um....I find that self-built PCs are much faster and more stable than shop-bought ones....
Thu 20/03/03 at 20:30
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Memorandum wrote:
> Um....I find that self-built PCs are much faster and more stable than
> shop-bought ones....

True- most shop ones are made for 'serious' things like word processing and office use- very annoying if you want to have about 60 games on something made for typing out stuff.
Sun 23/03/03 at 17:37
Regular
I recently (about two days ago) installed an Athlon XP 2100+ with 512mb RAM, all on a new KT400 motherboard and now i can (apart from finally being able to run XP) truely appreciate PC's. The next upgrade in line is a better Graphics card to boost the FPS in the more demanding games like mechwarrior 4 : Mercenaries, and UT2K3 - that looks better than a line-up of ferrari's.

The motherboard disc has an overclocking program, and i can boost my CPU up to 3ghz - but it would probably melt my system, lol!
Sun 23/03/03 at 17:39
Regular
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> I recently (about two days ago) installed an Athlon XP 2100+ with
> 512mb RAM, all on a new KT400 motherboard and now i can (apart from
> finally being able to run XP)

bit of a typo there - let me rephrase that....

(including finally being able to run XP)

there..... :)
Mon 24/03/03 at 00:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The Scribbler wrote:
> 2)For a console, you don't have to worry about whether the game will
> run on your set-up.

I've never had to worry whether my PC will run a game (at least not since the early ninties) ... I just assumed it would... and it always does?
Mon 24/03/03 at 13:05
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Consoles and PCs have not much Between them when it comes down to games, Overall they're all down to one aspect, Fun ^^ However, When it comes down too cost, Consoles do win hands down. Of Course :)

But Consoles do target at a few genres that would do better on a consoles then they would on PC, e.g, Beat-em-ups with PCs Never mix with PCs, Have to amdit, Then its some cases of ganmes on Consoles that fail greatly on them, unlike PCs wich have the tools of a Mouse and Keyboard and Generally suit the PC. I say Both of them have there advantages and disavantages...

For me, Both of them win :) I love PC Online Gaming :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.