GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Deus Ex..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deus Ex'.
Thu 06/02/03 at 19:22
Regular
Thats right, remember it??

Its the game that was released to criticl acclaim and gathered numerous "Game of the year" tags from various magazines and websites. Now with Deus Ex 2 on the way, and promising to be "even more ground breaking than the first" I decided to buy this game, after a lot of deliberation (and seeing it in a shop for £5) , expecting to be in for a very cheap treat, oh how I was disappointed.

The game starts well, the training mission is helpful and the first real mision is also great, with all the sneaking about but after that....the game deteriorates, it just isn't enjoyable, tedious even. This may just be me, but its not...My friend also hates the game and he likes any first person shooter that you can move in (ie. all of them).

As the hype now begins for Deus Ex 2 and the anticipation to it being even better than the "world beating" original I must ask the question:

Did anyone actually like Deus Ex?? I didn't, and none of my friends did, yet it was an extremely well recieved game, maybe it was the RPG undertones, I don't know, but what I do know is that I am not on the Deus Ex 2 bandwagon and will be refraining from buying it.

Anyone else agree??
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:45
Regular
No. Deus EX is the best FPS of all time. I'm not being a fanboy - it's a fact. You probably can't handle the sheer scope and brilliance of it.

Idiots.
Fri 07/02/03 at 22:10
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Yeah, you idiot!

Deus, is good, but not the best.
Mav, you sound like a fanboy towards Deus Ex.
Fri 07/02/03 at 20:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
And you would be an idiot for saying that.
Fri 07/02/03 at 20:24
Regular
Deus Ex rules - best FPS ever. You're an idiot for thinking otherwise.
Fri 07/02/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
... on PS2, sorry.
Fri 07/02/03 at 18:30
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I do think that FPS are, normally, better on PC, i just think that this one is slightly better.
Fri 07/02/03 at 16:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
I agree, PC's are the King of FPS'. Tactical Ops, UT 2003 and Deus Ex (at least in my opinion) are all classics, and the latter is much better on PC than PS2.

Jedi Knight II is also a fantastic game, if a little stupid online.
Fri 07/02/03 at 14:15
"For the horde!!!!"
agent under fire wrote:
>
> remeber when i first looked at the controls for the PS2 and thought it
> was going to be really bad but you get used to the many controls.

i was the same when i first bought Timesplitters 2
Fri 07/02/03 at 10:30
"Darkness, always"
First Person Shooters are better on PC. La la la la la la.

Consider Jedi Knight II. On Gamecube, you had to flick through all your force powers cumbersomely, one ata time, and could take you as much as 4-5 seconds to get to the power you need. During this time, you could be running around, desperately batting away at stormtroopers and/or shadow knights.

PC just has hotkeys for everything, not only to select different force powers, but to use them instantly as well. Same with scrolling through weapons etc etc.

And using a mouse is so far superior to using a joypad, it's not even worth comparing the two.
Fri 07/02/03 at 10:19
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Memorandum wrote:
> J-42 wrote:
> I love Deus Ex, t's got loads of "extra" bits in it, like
> getting more points for upgrades, if you got it on PC then you
> probably made the wrong decision.
>
> Are you kidding, First Person Shooters on anything other than PC are
> difficult affairs, with cumbersome aiming and slow movement.
>
> Also, look at the extra dimension mouse-aiming made to GTA3.

I think you have a point, but i think with this game i find it easier to use the PS2 controller, reather than typiing in loads of numbers on the keyboard.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.