GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Deus Ex..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deus Ex'.
Thu 06/02/03 at 19:22
Regular
Thats right, remember it??

Its the game that was released to criticl acclaim and gathered numerous "Game of the year" tags from various magazines and websites. Now with Deus Ex 2 on the way, and promising to be "even more ground breaking than the first" I decided to buy this game, after a lot of deliberation (and seeing it in a shop for £5) , expecting to be in for a very cheap treat, oh how I was disappointed.

The game starts well, the training mission is helpful and the first real mision is also great, with all the sneaking about but after that....the game deteriorates, it just isn't enjoyable, tedious even. This may just be me, but its not...My friend also hates the game and he likes any first person shooter that you can move in (ie. all of them).

As the hype now begins for Deus Ex 2 and the anticipation to it being even better than the "world beating" original I must ask the question:

Did anyone actually like Deus Ex?? I didn't, and none of my friends did, yet it was an extremely well recieved game, maybe it was the RPG undertones, I don't know, but what I do know is that I am not on the Deus Ex 2 bandwagon and will be refraining from buying it.

Anyone else agree??
Sun 09/02/03 at 10:54
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
The thing i like is getting bonus points, however TS2 beats it.
Sun 09/02/03 at 10:31
"For the horde!!!!"
Deus ex as a good story line and is more of an RPG than a pure FPS.
Once you become master skilled in a weapon type then there is no problem
Sun 09/02/03 at 10:03
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Maverick42 wrote:
> No. Deus EX is the best FPS of all time. I'm not being a fanboy

Yes you are.

> - it's a fact. You probably can't handle the sheer scope and brilliance of it.

Scope?

> Idiots.

Where?
Sat 08/02/03 at 20:10
Regular
Muh?

I have XP Pro and SS2 runs fine for me
Sat 08/02/03 at 20:05
"Darkness, always"
Maverick42 wrote:
> No. Deus EX is the best FPS of all time. I'm not being a fanboy - it's
> a fact. You probably can't handle the sheer scope and brilliance of
> it.
>
> Idiots.

Are you serious? It was almost a full-on rip-off of System Shock II, which was also far far far superior.
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:29
Regular
"I like cheese"
Deus Ex isn't the best FPS' in terms of the actual shooting bits (sounds crappy, but the only way I could think of putting it), but it has so much more than most other FPS' that I would probably agree with Mav. And to be honest, I didn't think the fighting side was that bad, with upgrades for your weapons and having to choose which to pick etc.

Nearly finished Red Faction 2, I haven't enjoyed it as much as RF in terms of puzzles/bosses/plot, but the gameplay is much more frantic and is very enjoyable, especially towards the end. Weapons are great too.
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:22
"For the horde!!!!"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Oh
>
> And System Shock 2
>
> That's how you do it properly

this was gathering dust on my shelve and i wanted to install it but my new computer came with windows xp and it's not compatable :(
oh well at least i have Morrowind
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:27
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> No. Deus EX is the best FPS of all time. I'm not being a fanboy - it's
> a fact. You probably can't handle the sheer scope and brilliance of
> it.
>

Fair point, although I'm not a great fan of First-Person shooters at all. I played Red Faction, I thought it was boring, and I was surprised at how much the game had been hyped as a dark, sinister game when quite frankly you had a gun, the enemies had blood and that was just about it.
Red Faction 2 pretty much the same, although the Geo-mod worked to better affect which made the game a lot more enjoyable. RF seems to be full of surprises, the surprise here was that most people considered the original to be better even though this was the same thing implemented better.
Nightfire is crap, why did any magazine think it was good?
The only FPS games I've ever enjoyed are the TimeSplitters ones. The frantic gameplay, mixed with nice humour, makes for a fun, fast game that is great in small sessions. However, I only play Arcade mode, I find Story mode in both games a lot more dull that the aformentioned Arcade mode.
I played Deus Ex for a little while, I wasn't too impressed as I got lost a lot, and I always tended to go the 'wrong' way. By wrong, I mean the hardest way. I'm just not a very observant gamer, so vents and back alleys never seem to catch me eye as much as a well-lit corridor does.
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:06
Regular
Oh

And System Shock 2

That's how you do it properly
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:05
Regular
Dues Ex is a very good game, but nothing like the best FPS.

The 'freedom' is a common misconception, it gives the impression of being non-linear.

PC's are far superior for FPS, except for the N64 (because the pad was just made for them), which came lot closer.

Thats my contribution

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.