GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Smash Bros' Melee - disappointing"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 10:08
Regular
As far as recommendations go, I usually opt for others opinions, as opposed to that of a single-reviewer.

I was looking forward in immersing myself in Smash Bros’, bearing in my mind I had never played the Nintendo 64 incarnation. So, there I was quietly anticipating it’s arrival from the US.

Anyway, it turned up – I plonked it on. Played it. Finished it. I repeated this process for about a week, before I came to the conclusion that I really don’t like it. For me, I thought it was vastly over-rated.

There was no “middle-ground” with it, it was all played at a frantic rate. There’s no pacing to this game. It comes across as a button-masher for me. Sure, some of the scenarios looked all right, but I was expecting something special and ended up with a mediocre title. I mean, don’t get me wrong I love my beat-em-up’s, but for the life of me, I just couldn’t bring myself to like this.

Many rave about the multi-player aspects of Smash Bros, but even they wore thin after an hour’s play. To be honest, Super Monkey Ball has upstaged Smash Bros’, in my household.
Tue 15/01/02 at 08:27
"Don't mess with me"
What are you talking about it is amazing you may have finished it but the 3D characters look AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mon 14/01/02 at 22:21
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
well the game brings back memories, of all the old characters.
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:41
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
well it looks good.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:32
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Super Smash on the N64 was not exactly hard but multiplayer ruled. Against human or computer. That was why it kept ME coming back for more.

Shame about the GC release thought. Monkey Ball looks so fun. Res Evil, Metroid etc etc I think its time Nintendo took over.
Mon 14/01/02 at 18:51
Regular
Hmm, looking at the arguments, if you can virtually complete it without taking to it and mastering it (as Bleeders did), then unless you have friends of a similar skill level to fight in multiplayer, i don't really see the point in taking it any further. Keep playing it, maybe. But i wouldn't go out of my way to get better at a game i could complete anyway.

Or maybe it's just an example of the infamous short and sweet policy? I really hope not.
Mon 14/01/02 at 16:29
Regular
Yeah, Melee is supposedly Smash Brothers with a few tweaks, extra levels/characters/weapons, nice graphics and a better single player mode.

Still, if they'd given it a complete over-haul, I might've lost a lot that made it special.
Mon 14/01/02 at 16:23
Regular
Oh well, its a lost cause now anyway. I've packed my N64 away for good. PS2 takes the only available place on my desk. And i'm too lazy to set up the N64 downstairs. Sod it.

Melee aint changed soo much from the N64 version, so i will just wait for that...
Mon 14/01/02 at 16:11
Regular
The problem is, I think that it might well be the multiplayer that you have to play alot in order to get to grips with the game.

Perhaps if you went back to it (knowing what to expect) you'd like it.
I can sort of see why you might think it is button bashing at first, as the strongest moves are easy to pull off.

The moves consisted of pressing a button, or a direction and a button making them easy to do, but doing them in a way to hit your opponent and do damage while avoiding your opponents tactics requires plenty of skill.

Like any style of beat 'em up you play, it'll be button bashing at first, but any experienced player can make mince-meat out of a button basher.
Mon 14/01/02 at 16:00
Regular
I can understand what you are saying about Smash brothers strafex, I've noticed with quite a few games that you need to play them for longer until you can fully appreciate them.

But with Smash brothers I did. It was only multiplayer that was played a few times. I completed it loads of times on single with nearly every character, apart from Ness who i cant seem to unlock! he onky reason I was playing was to try and unlock the secret characters, I didnt really find it fun.

Although their are a few things I like. When I did play multiplayer, we always changed it so the only power ups that came down were Poke-balls and Hammers :) quality.

Maybe I was just expecting too much from Smash brothers on the N64, I was expecting it to be amazing as it contained all of Nintendo's main characters. I think the main thing i dont like about the game was the fact that each character only had 3 power moves. Maybe some people may say that is fine, considering you get the power ups and all...but i want more!
Mon 14/01/02 at 15:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Pah! Special editions!! Special editions are only 'gaming spam' to me!! SSBM will be no.1 here!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.