GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Smash Bros' Melee - disappointing"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 10:08
Regular
As far as recommendations go, I usually opt for others opinions, as opposed to that of a single-reviewer.

I was looking forward in immersing myself in Smash Bros’, bearing in my mind I had never played the Nintendo 64 incarnation. So, there I was quietly anticipating it’s arrival from the US.

Anyway, it turned up – I plonked it on. Played it. Finished it. I repeated this process for about a week, before I came to the conclusion that I really don’t like it. For me, I thought it was vastly over-rated.

There was no “middle-ground” with it, it was all played at a frantic rate. There’s no pacing to this game. It comes across as a button-masher for me. Sure, some of the scenarios looked all right, but I was expecting something special and ended up with a mediocre title. I mean, don’t get me wrong I love my beat-em-up’s, but for the life of me, I just couldn’t bring myself to like this.

Many rave about the multi-player aspects of Smash Bros, but even they wore thin after an hour’s play. To be honest, Super Monkey Ball has upstaged Smash Bros’, in my household.
Sun 01/01/12 at 01:42
Evenin.........

Happy New Year to everyone involved in Team Adrenaline.

Hope that 2012 has loadsa good rides and is free from spills, punctures and mechs!!! (Yeah,right) lol!!

PK
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:24
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
dispppointing (checks his eyes) You sure you can see?

(check his brain ) hmmm there seems to be a section missing
Sat 26/01/02 at 14:03
Regular
The single player was never good it is purely a multiplayer game
Sun 20/01/02 at 21:54
Regular
The magazines say that it's like the N64 original. That's enough recommendation for me! :-)
Sun 20/01/02 at 21:30
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
cookie monster wrote:
> Well it got 95% from NGC magazine, thats enough recommendation for me.

Tony_Blair says "damn straight"
Sun 20/01/02 at 10:04
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
See this is it, every review I've read says the same about Pikmin and Luigi's. I have both and they seem short because they engross you so much.

But, still best Gamecube title at the moment is still Super Monkey Ball by far - the ultimate challenge!!
Sat 19/01/02 at 21:29
Regular
RBS, that'll be down to the fact that Smash Brothers is different to traditional beat em ups.

Shouldn't be compared to Tekken.
Tekken if you want to learn button presses and timing combo's and complex reversals, and Smash Brothers if you want spontaneous skill, dodging and counter attacking through quick thinking and skillful manuvering.

One note about Pikmin though.
Every review says that it's woefully short and you'd probably be better off renting it or borrowing your friends copy.
Sat 19/01/02 at 21:20
Regular
"You've upset me"
I picked up the original round a friends and for the next 3 hours I played it continuously. I'm not usually a fan of beat em-ups but this one just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. It's fantastic, and the fact that Melee is just a tweaked version is even better for me.

Pikmin looks awesome too, I'm getting that.

Oh and to that shouting idiot, there's no such thing as good and bad taste, just different taste. OK?
Sat 19/01/02 at 21:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well it got 95% from NGC magazine, thats enough recommendation for me.
Sat 19/01/02 at 15:08
Regular
Meka's point was that you put up no point of discussion.

That is you didn't say why you disagreed, you just spurted out something crap, saying he had no taste.

You don't do that on a discussion board.
You put forward an argument.
You say why you like Smash Brothers.

Read through the various posts in this topic and you'll get the idea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.