GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Smash Bros' Melee - disappointing"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 10:08
Regular
As far as recommendations go, I usually opt for others opinions, as opposed to that of a single-reviewer.

I was looking forward in immersing myself in Smash Bros’, bearing in my mind I had never played the Nintendo 64 incarnation. So, there I was quietly anticipating it’s arrival from the US.

Anyway, it turned up – I plonked it on. Played it. Finished it. I repeated this process for about a week, before I came to the conclusion that I really don’t like it. For me, I thought it was vastly over-rated.

There was no “middle-ground” with it, it was all played at a frantic rate. There’s no pacing to this game. It comes across as a button-masher for me. Sure, some of the scenarios looked all right, but I was expecting something special and ended up with a mediocre title. I mean, don’t get me wrong I love my beat-em-up’s, but for the life of me, I just couldn’t bring myself to like this.

Many rave about the multi-player aspects of Smash Bros, but even they wore thin after an hour’s play. To be honest, Super Monkey Ball has upstaged Smash Bros’, in my household.
Sat 19/01/02 at 11:59
people like meka dragon who think their god just because they won loads of games need to lighten up. learn that its more fun just to say your own mind rather than spout out 'oh well i rather like the game actually, but good for you to say you dont like it.'

dont take everything so seriously. i have more respect for bleeders by coming up with a well tought up post after he read mine.

p.s. I dont care if you get affended again.
Thu 17/01/02 at 15:55
Regular
Smash Brothers Melee is multiplayer based although I reckon there's a fair bit of single play in there somewhere.
Thu 17/01/02 at 13:08
The thing Im worried about with Super Smash is that the multiplayer game gets so much more hype than the single player, and I have no mates that will be wanting to play on my cube.

As for pikmin, It may be short, but if you don't use cheats and faq's you would be a miracle worker to get all 30 ship pieces in 30 days. It will take at least 2 play throughs which is around 20 hours of gameplay.

Its like luigi, ppl slate the shortness of it but I reckon it will take me about 8 hours if i don't use the clues to defeat the ghosts and I play a bit each night. Its gonna last me a couple of weeks that way.
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure fans of the Smash Brothers series will undoubtedly love it. But, it wasn't for me.

On another note, Pikmin turned up for me the other day and it's an absolute gem. Short, but fun and addictive! ^_^
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:13
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
genie_destroyer wrote:
> YOUR AN IDIOT. BEST BEAT-EM-UP EVER. YOU HAVE NO TASTE

Have you played it?

Oh, who cares, go away and haunt someone else...
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:53
Regular
"not dead"
genie_destroyer wrote:
> YOUR AN IDIOT. BEST BEAT-EM-UP EVER. YOU HAVE NO TASTE

Heh. No, he has different taste.

Though I doubt you've even played the game.

You are an idiot of the highest order.

Please learn to respect the opinions of others, or remove yourself from the site.
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:49
Regular
"Back in black"
GrimMetal wrote:
> You just put me off buying the game! I'll just stick wit Pikmin and Sonic 2 as
> my next buys ;)

This tipic is an opinion, not a fact. Don't be put off by one posters negative views, which he is intitled to, put you off- you need a collective amount of reviews or play the game your self before making that asumption. I am sure gonna buy it(GAD SR:).
Thu 17/01/02 at 09:23
You just put me off buying the game! I'll just stick wit Pikmin and Sonic 2 as my next buys ;)
Wed 16/01/02 at 20:46
YOUR AN IDIOT. BEST BEAT-EM-UP EVER. YOU HAVE NO TASTE
Tue 15/01/02 at 08:49
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
They do - but the game isn't in a 3D-roaming environment, it's still a 2D fighter. The only time you'll really notice the 3D characters, is if you pause the game, then it allows you to roam around the character. The character models look good and some of the scenery looks alright and even the Adventure Mode is fun to a point, but other than that, there wasn't anything here to entice me back sadly.

Besides I've got Super Monkey Ball and trust me, you won't know what's hit you till you fire this baby up and test your wits against some of the hardest levels seen in a video-game (Yes, this phrase has been used a lot recently to describe some of the Master Levels)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.