GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Smash Bros' Melee - disappointing"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 10:08
Regular
As far as recommendations go, I usually opt for others opinions, as opposed to that of a single-reviewer.

I was looking forward in immersing myself in Smash Bros’, bearing in my mind I had never played the Nintendo 64 incarnation. So, there I was quietly anticipating it’s arrival from the US.

Anyway, it turned up – I plonked it on. Played it. Finished it. I repeated this process for about a week, before I came to the conclusion that I really don’t like it. For me, I thought it was vastly over-rated.

There was no “middle-ground” with it, it was all played at a frantic rate. There’s no pacing to this game. It comes across as a button-masher for me. Sure, some of the scenarios looked all right, but I was expecting something special and ended up with a mediocre title. I mean, don’t get me wrong I love my beat-em-up’s, but for the life of me, I just couldn’t bring myself to like this.

Many rave about the multi-player aspects of Smash Bros, but even they wore thin after an hour’s play. To be honest, Super Monkey Ball has upstaged Smash Bros’, in my household.
Mon 14/01/02 at 10:08
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
As far as recommendations go, I usually opt for others opinions, as opposed to that of a single-reviewer.

I was looking forward in immersing myself in Smash Bros’, bearing in my mind I had never played the Nintendo 64 incarnation. So, there I was quietly anticipating it’s arrival from the US.

Anyway, it turned up – I plonked it on. Played it. Finished it. I repeated this process for about a week, before I came to the conclusion that I really don’t like it. For me, I thought it was vastly over-rated.

There was no “middle-ground” with it, it was all played at a frantic rate. There’s no pacing to this game. It comes across as a button-masher for me. Sure, some of the scenarios looked all right, but I was expecting something special and ended up with a mediocre title. I mean, don’t get me wrong I love my beat-em-up’s, but for the life of me, I just couldn’t bring myself to like this.

Many rave about the multi-player aspects of Smash Bros, but even they wore thin after an hour’s play. To be honest, Super Monkey Ball has upstaged Smash Bros’, in my household.
Mon 14/01/02 at 11:18
Regular
"DS..."
i seriously doubt if anyone shares youre point of view, fair enougth though, i mean you can't please eveyone.
slik ~_~
Mon 14/01/02 at 11:38
Regular
Smash Brothers is a disappointment to you because you didn't know what to expect (as you never played the original).

Also, the fact that you like beat 'em ups is irrelevant because Smash Brothers does not even closely resemble your average beat 'em up.

I was disappointed with the original for a week or so, but as I played it more and mastered the controls and tactics, it became much better.
Now I'd go as far to say that it's the N64's best multiplayer game and was masterfully designed.

Smash Brothers might seem weird at first, but it grows on you and before you know it, you wonder how people can enjoy the traditional "button combination learning" beat 'em ups.
Mon 14/01/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Horses for courses really.

I just didn't take to it. Ah well, nevermind eh?
Mon 14/01/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I'm gonna play it later on this week, so i'll tell you then what I think to it!

:)
Mon 14/01/02 at 12:30
Regular
Heh, i never really liked the original on the N64. Too much of a button basher for me. Not enough skill required. Played it a few times on 4 player with mates but we turned it off after a few minutes. Micro machines got more multiplayer action on my N64 than Smash brothers..
Mon 14/01/02 at 13:26
Regular
"not dead"
At least the Japanese like it.

Should be, if not already, the first Gamecube game to sell a million copies.
Mon 14/01/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> At least the Japanese like it.

Should be, if not already, the first Gamecube
> game to sell a million copies.

Without a doubt, it's certainly riding high in the charts over there and in the US too I'm led to believe.

But er, no thanks! I'll stick my Street Fighter's and Guilty Gear's :)
Mon 14/01/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> At least the Japanese like it.

Should be, if not already, the first Gamecube
> game to sell a million copies.

Without a doubt, it's certainly riding high in the charts over there and in the US too I'm led to believe.

But er, no thanks! I'll stick to my Street Fighter's and Guilty Gear's :)
Mon 14/01/02 at 14:01
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Heh, i never really liked the original on the N64. Too much of a button basher
> for me. Not enough skill required. Played it a few times on 4 player with mates
> but we turned it off after a few minutes. Micro machines got more multiplayer
> action on my N64 than Smash brothers.

You played it a few times... it shows...

If you'd played it until you were used to the style (it's a new style od game not done before so it would take a fair bit of getting used to), it's more skillful than the likes of Tekken and in a more fun way.

To a newbie it's press whatever and hope for the best.
Once you learn how the basic moves work, you'll be able to use them properly.
With Tekken it's spend ages learning button combinations and practice using them to perfect timing. Skillful, but in a pretty boring way when you thing about it.

In Smash Brothers, your moves are easily accessable at any time and it's just a matter of using spontaneous skill, timing, judgement and reactions to use them in a fitting way.

It took me almost a month to appreciate it properly.

Remember playing a platformer for the first time?
You probably spent 8 lives trying to kill one enemie or jump over one whole.

Remember playing a first person shooter for the first time?
It probably took you half an hour to aim properly and you found it awkward, and weird at first, to move around properly.

Proper control comes with practice and only then can you appreciate how good it is.

Quake is crap-meaningless-tap-fire-button-and-hope-for-the-best if you haven't learnt how to strafe.
Ortega, I can understand if you didn't like it at first, but try it again and this time try to actually get to grips with a character. I'm almost certain you'd love it if you did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.