GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox holds onto 2nd place in UK."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/02/03 at 17:31
Regular
From C&VG.com:

The stats for the week ending February 8 are in, and it's falls in sales across the board

Following a brief one week boost in overall unit sales, figures for the week ending February 8 (week six) in the UK show an overall drop in numbers.

Over the seven day period, PS2 sold 15,153 units, a drop of nine percent on the previous week's tally, with Xbox holding firm at number two, shifting 4,744 units, down 14 percent. GBA notched up 4,249 (down one percent), while GameCube continues to struggle with 1,764 units sold over the period, down one percent.

- - - - - -

Why is GBA selling so well, when the new one is out soon? PS2 still selling nearly 3 times the amount of Xbox, but GC really struggling.

Thoughts?
Wed 12/02/03 at 09:14
Regular
Then again, the Gamecube isn't doing SO badly.

Sure, the sales are small compared to MS and Sony, but MS and Sony are going for large scale long term plans where they NEED the large sales.

Nintendo are making a tidy profit on relatively low sales so Nintendo fans have little to worry about.

Besides, GC UK sales will pick up once Metroid and Zelda roll into town.
Wed 12/02/03 at 09:08
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I've never really understood why people claim not to care much about how well their console is doing.

The general argument seems to be "As long they're the ones bringing out the games I want to play, I'm happy."

Which is a nice concept in theory, but completely misses the point that if your console is doing particularly badly, you will very quickly find it harbours fewer and fewer of those game you like to play, and shortly thereafter, none whatsoever. Not worrying about the console you own doing badly isn't about only being concerned with the games, it's about being shortsighted.

It was nice while it was around, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for the next Genesis release...
Wed 12/02/03 at 08:57
Regular
The reason why you should be bothered about sales figures, is that the UK is now the third largest market in the world for videogames, behind Japan and the US.

So, yeah, I'd guess it is quite important.
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:35
Regular
Well exactly
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:29
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Every xbox owner is perfectly aware that xbox is selling like crap in Japan. We've heard that from day one.
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:28
Regular
Yeah

And Robbie Williams tops our music chart while Muse linger around the 10s-20s.

That's justice foe you
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:24
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I don't think we should ever be too bothered about UK sales figures.
After all, Simpson's Wrestling, Harry Potter, The Weakest Link and a whole load of other rubbish games have topped the charts in the past few years, all bought by the stupid UK gamers, so facts and figures don't always show quality.
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:21
Regular
*shrug*

You go ahead and post it, and I will post how the GC beat the XBox in Japan by 60,000 units a week, in here.

What's the point
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
To have a good chuckle at Xbox owners who say its outselling the cube?
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:08
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> Heh, somebody should go post this in the Ninty forum...

Because...?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.