GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox holds onto 2nd place in UK."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/02/03 at 17:31
Regular
From C&VG.com:

The stats for the week ending February 8 are in, and it's falls in sales across the board

Following a brief one week boost in overall unit sales, figures for the week ending February 8 (week six) in the UK show an overall drop in numbers.

Over the seven day period, PS2 sold 15,153 units, a drop of nine percent on the previous week's tally, with Xbox holding firm at number two, shifting 4,744 units, down 14 percent. GBA notched up 4,249 (down one percent), while GameCube continues to struggle with 1,764 units sold over the period, down one percent.

- - - - - -

Why is GBA selling so well, when the new one is out soon? PS2 still selling nearly 3 times the amount of Xbox, but GC really struggling.

Thoughts?
Mon 17/02/03 at 16:01
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Why is it that sales figures posts always end up being console war squabbles?
Mon 17/02/03 at 15:52
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> So let me get this straight, Asia and America are the biggest
> markets... Europe's third leaving Africa... Well blow me down with a
> feather Europe makes more money than Africa *cracks up*

No, Europe is not third. The UK is the third largest market. Meaning that the EU is the second largest, behind the US. The Jap market is now NOT the largest in the world, something Nintendo would be wise to remember...

(FACT taken from: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/ (space) news_story.php(que)id=85374 "the UK trouncing the Germans to become the world's third-largest leisure software market in the world, globally, on a planet-wide basis. Apparently we now spend more money per year on gaming pursuits than on going to the cinema, renting videos or buying edible underclothing - beaten only by the American Unified States and Japan. A proud boast for us all.")

So try reading stuff before you reply, that way you might not look such a fool in future...
Sat 15/02/03 at 21:25
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I don't get what you're saying.

I was saying that all europian gaming markets combined Ie UK France spain, Germany, make Europe the biggest market in Gamaing. Bigger than the US and Japan.
Sat 15/02/03 at 01:29
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> YH wrote is that the UK is now the third largest market in the world
> for videogames, behind Japan and the US.

So let me get this straight, Asia and America are the biggest markets... Europe's third leaving Africa... Well blow me down with a feather Europe makes more money than Africa *cracks up*
Fri 14/02/03 at 22:39
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Mav wrote:
> X-Box sold 16,000 that week - the most ever.

LOL. I bet MS Japan had a party.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:22
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Thats not what I read. I head that XboxLive, Splinter Cell, Xbox LIve
> games, MGS Substance cause Xbox to take 2nd place in the states.

It's close, but the GCN has second place for now.

> And that GC was 1,000 off PS2 in Japan is just nonsence. PS2 sells 3
> times as many GC in Japan every week.

No, it's true. For one week, GameCube sales were around 129,000 - 1,000 off the PS2 thanks to the Christmas boost and the convenient release of Zelda: Wind Waker. X-Box sold 16,000 that week - the most ever.
Fri 14/02/03 at 12:30
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> But europe, as a whole, is bigger than the US and Japan.

Not sure it works like that, they go by how much people spent on gaming over a year. We overtook the Germans last year to now be second.

But if you look at Jap console sales figures, they shift around 100,000 units a week, if you add all the consoles up. We shift about 30,000...
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:34
"For the horde!!!!"
so is jupiter :P
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:30
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
YH wrote is that the UK is now the third largest market in the world for videogames, behind Japan and the US.

But europe, as a whole, is bigger than the US and Japan.
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Mav wrote:
> Before Christmas, it seemed the X-Box had second place in it's grasp but with the timely releases of Resident Evil Zero and Metroid Prime, the GameCube overtook and now maintains second place in the States.

Thats not what I read. I head that XboxLive, Splinter Cell, Xbox LIve games, MGS Substance cause Xbox to take 2nd place in the states.

Whatever, its close.

And that GC was 1,000 off PS2 in Japan is just nonsence. PS2 sells 3 times as many GC in Japan every week.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.