GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox holds onto 2nd place in UK."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/02/03 at 17:31
Regular
From C&VG.com:

The stats for the week ending February 8 are in, and it's falls in sales across the board

Following a brief one week boost in overall unit sales, figures for the week ending February 8 (week six) in the UK show an overall drop in numbers.

Over the seven day period, PS2 sold 15,153 units, a drop of nine percent on the previous week's tally, with Xbox holding firm at number two, shifting 4,744 units, down 14 percent. GBA notched up 4,249 (down one percent), while GameCube continues to struggle with 1,764 units sold over the period, down one percent.

- - - - - -

Why is GBA selling so well, when the new one is out soon? PS2 still selling nearly 3 times the amount of Xbox, but GC really struggling.

Thoughts?
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:31
Regular
From C&VG.com:

The stats for the week ending February 8 are in, and it's falls in sales across the board

Following a brief one week boost in overall unit sales, figures for the week ending February 8 (week six) in the UK show an overall drop in numbers.

Over the seven day period, PS2 sold 15,153 units, a drop of nine percent on the previous week's tally, with Xbox holding firm at number two, shifting 4,744 units, down 14 percent. GBA notched up 4,249 (down one percent), while GameCube continues to struggle with 1,764 units sold over the period, down one percent.

- - - - - -

Why is GBA selling so well, when the new one is out soon? PS2 still selling nearly 3 times the amount of Xbox, but GC really struggling.

Thoughts?
Tue 11/02/03 at 18:39
Regular
I couldn't care less about sales because they don't reflect how good the consoles are. In my opinion both the Xbox and GameCube have better exclusive titles thatn the PS2 and in nearly all cases the Xbox and GameCube have the better Multi-Platform games. As I said to Mav the other day, I believe that this is the year for the Xbox and GameCube and I feel that so many people now have a PS2 that sales are bound to drop this year. If the rumour about Sony adding sales for replaced consoles is true then the figures we see could be completley wrong.
Tue 11/02/03 at 20:48
Regular
GBA selling well? Why are'nt people waiting for the GBA SP?

Ah well, Not too bothered about sales, Xbox is selling nicely mind :)
Tue 11/02/03 at 20:56
Regular
I agree with Alistair - as long as Nintendo have enough cash to keep making quality games, I don't mind about sales. I'll soon have all three consoles anyway - if I have the cash.

On those PS2 sales - it was only in Japan. There was no warranty on the PS2 when it first came out, and what with so many bugs, about every PS2 owner in Japan who bought it in the first few months had to buy another one. Still, though, the PS2 is doing miles better.

C'mon Nintendo, get yer act together! They really seem to be taking a back seat in this whole 'advertising' lark.
Tue 11/02/03 at 20:57
"slightlyshortertagl"
What worries me is the way in which XBox sales decreased by the most of the four. :-/
Tue 11/02/03 at 20:59
Regular
On the GBA SP front - I don't actually think many people know about it. Not surprising really. I doubt Nintendo would get much business if they went around saying 'New GBA out in a few months, lay off the old one!'.
Tue 11/02/03 at 22:12
"For the horde!!!!"
i have had my PS2 for about 16 months and i have had no problems with it
Tue 11/02/03 at 22:50
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Heh, somebody should go post this in the Ninty forum...
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:00
Regular
Has a hold on to 2nd place?

I'd say it has a firm grip on 2nd place in the UK.

With a sh** load of AAA titles coming out in the next few months, the offer of Hardware and a game for £130 and also a budget range to be launched in the next few months, things can only get better for the Cube......hopefully
Tue 11/02/03 at 23:08
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> Heh, somebody should go post this in the Ninty forum...

Because...?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.