GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning to drive - Should we be able to drive from the age 16?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/01/02 at 14:45
Regular
Well all I have to say is in America, Austrailia, France and many more countries people are allowed to begin to drive cars or ride motorbikes, when over here the laws change about the age limit people are to learn to drive I think we should be able to drive from the age of 16.
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:40
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
You have to be 21 to drink in America!
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:37
Regular
"not dead"
Slaveunit wrote:
> How many drivers here have been
> going down a road and then all of a sudden be at the end of the road and not
> remember driving there?

Actually, that's not a danger.

After we've been driving for a while we can do it automatically. Basically, the brain can go into auto-pilot. We still have to pay attention, but we are less likely to remember the journey at the end of the day, as we've done it a million times before.

If someone was to run out in front of you the brain would switch back to the conscious mind in plenty of time for you to react to it.

I attended a course last year, that went into a lot of detail on the working of the brain, you see.

But yes, other than this I agree with what you're saying. I can see the benefits of seeing things from a motor cyclist's point of view. Mind you, I wouldn't want to do it myself, too cold! But it would benefit some.
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I got my insurance through today for my Fiesta R reg 1.25 Zetec. £715 for 3rd party fire and theft. This will be me 3rd year at having insurance. I started learning at 17 and now iam 19.

I think that the age for driving in this country is right. Americans can drive eariler but look at there roads. There wider than UK roads and are straight. The cars they use are auto's so no need to do much just press the gas and go.
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:27
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
It should be compulsory for people to spend 1 year on a moped. Being restricted to 30mph is the safest option for people new to the road as they do not have the experience needed to be safe, and second, they would see many car drivers driving like a fool carving them up, and see how dangerous it is before they ever get in a car.

The moped rider would also be more observant on the roads. So often cars get to a junction, look and think "no cars, I'll go" and then knock a biker off. Bike riders are more aware of their surroundings as they know that if they come off, it's straight to hospital. The full motorbike licence is much harder than the car licence, the bike written test is valid for a car but not the other way around, and this is because the risks on a bike are so much more due to stupid car drivers. I actually get an insurance discount on my car because I have a bike licence.

Regardless of what size the engine is in a car, it is fast enough to kill someone. How many drivers here have been going down a road and then all of a sudden be at the end of the road and not remember driving there? How about driving along, looking for a tape? In the split second you look away, anything can happen.

With all this, added to the fact that everyone doubts the attention span of the 15-18 age group, the distraction of friends, radios, inexperience of the roads, lure of alcohol, and many more things make the roads very dangerous. The insurance on a car when you are young is because that is the age group where the most accidents happen. 9 out of 10 motorcycle accidents are caused by cars, and 70% of these are from car drivers below 25.

That got really long without me realising! Sorry!
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:27
Regular
"..."
OK, so do we really need more spoilt little rich kids on the road? I say this because the average sixteen year-old is not going to be able to afford the price of driving lessons let alone a car or the insurance for it. It's only the rich kids whose 'Mama and Papa' will shell out for this who will be on the road and they are likely to not care to much about driving the car recklessly as 'Mama + Papa' will pay for any damage they cause. 'Nuff said. keep 'em off the road.
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:20
Regular
"not dead"
bars-tard wrote:
> well i drive a 1.0litre and it can do 98MPH so the manual says but i hit 102 in
> it ha take that Mr manual :)

it doesn't matter what engine size it is it's
> how many people we kill.

my insurance hardly changes if i have a 1.0 or a 1.6
> it's my age that buggers it

I'm sure your parents are very proud.
Fri 11/01/02 at 09:12
Regular
Really?

It would cost me about £5000 to get insured on anything big.
Fri 11/01/02 at 01:05
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
well i drive a 1.0litre and it can do 98MPH so the manual says but i hit 102 in it ha take that Mr manual :)

it doesn't matter what engine size it is it's how many people we kill.

my insurance hardly changes if i have a 1.0 or a 1.6 it's my age that it
Thu 10/01/02 at 22:08
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
look, kids driving in this country at 16. Not a good idea.

Mainly because all our roads are smaller than those in america.

Strangly its true.

So over there they have more spaces so its easier to learn to drive when you are younger.

Also the average 16 year old here would be lethal on the roads.
Thu 10/01/02 at 21:11
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Quality thread.

Whats wrong with loud music?

Whats wrong with Oxide and
> Neutrino?

what is wrong with them?
they are wicked

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.