GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Living in Europe = Major Upsets :("

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/01/02 at 14:40
Regular
Can anyone tell me why Game Developers continue to give late release dates for Europe take Metal Gear Solid 2 for example to my knowledge it has been avalible way over a month and god knows how long its been out in Japan and to just find out its not out here now till March 8th becasue of an extra CD well thats their excuse well imo i think thats unfair. What do you think?
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:33
adrian wrote:
> We do have NTSC tvs but we have PAL consoles. So the games have to be converted
> in to PAL for them to work on our consoles.

Japan gets games first because
> they have alot of Japanese game companies. They then have to convert the game to
> English for the American release and then convert it into PAL and put the other
> European languages in for the UK release.

We can actually get games before
> Japan and America. And alot of games come out in America before they do in
> Japan. Think of the X-Box its the first major console for years to be released
> outside of Japan.

The games industry is like the movie industry. America has
> a massive movie industry with most of the top films being made by an American
> company. They make it, so they release it there first. Japan has a massive
> Computer game market, so thats were all the games are released first. America
> also has a big market, so they get some of the games first. We have a few
> developers in England, and usually get the games they develop first.

Great reply thx 4 clearing it up :)
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
GTA3 came out in America on 23/10/01. Came out Europe 26/10/01. Came it in Japan, oh it hasnt been released yet.

See we get games just as quick as America and even before Japan. And GTA3 is one of the best PS2 games of 2001.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:25
Yep it's unfair. Though if you were desperate to get releases from Japan and the US earlier, there is always the option to get an import console (or move ;-)). OK, you shouldn't have to do that, and it's expensive, but at the end of the day, it's only a delay of a game.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
We do have NTSC tvs but we have PAL consoles. So the games have to be converted in to PAL for them to work on our consoles.

Japan gets games first because they have alot of Japanese game companies. They then have to convert the game to English for the American release and then convert it into PAL and put the other European languages in for the UK release.

We can actually get games before Japan and America. And alot of games come out in America before they do in Japan. Think of the X-Box its the first major console for years to be released outside of Japan.

The games industry is like the movie industry. America has a massive movie industry with most of the top films being made by an American company. They make it, so they release it there first. Japan has a massive Computer game market, so thats were all the games are released first. America also has a big market, so they get some of the games first. We have a few developers in England, and usually get the games they develop first.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:20
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
danny08 wrote:
> all the new tv now is multizone
so what the problem

Well the problem is that not everyone owns a brand new TV, some people cant afford to go out and buy a new TV and are still using the non NTSC TVs.

Therefore the software designers have to make it available on the old system for over here.

If only the whole world watched on one system we wouldn't have these problems but that's just the easy way out.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:19
Anyway back to the main point i think id rather have games sooner than get them 3 months later with a overhyped extra disk and a few modes i may never play or play only once :/
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:10
all the new tv now is multizone
so what the problem
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:03
Tyla wrote:
> The other delay is regional coding... theres a big difference between US/Japan
> and Europe... Framerates, Screen Rez/Htz, the usual PAL, NTSC compatabilities
> etc and most of these involve more than just "tweaking" the game
> code.

The NTSC thing confuses me a little is it possable to just buy a NTSC TV here dumb question probable but its one i sure dont know the answer to.
Thu 10/01/02 at 14:58
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
The other delay is regional coding... theres a big difference between US/Japan and Europe... Framerates, Screen Rez/Htz, the usual PAL, NTSC compatabilities etc and most of these involve more than just "tweaking" the game code.
Thu 10/01/02 at 14:52
aren't they doing the same with FFX :/

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.