GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Living in Europe = Major Upsets :("

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/01/02 at 14:40
Regular
Can anyone tell me why Game Developers continue to give late release dates for Europe take Metal Gear Solid 2 for example to my knowledge it has been avalible way over a month and god knows how long its been out in Japan and to just find out its not out here now till March 8th becasue of an extra CD well thats their excuse well imo i think thats unfair. What do you think?
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:57
Regular
"¬_¬"
The_King wrote:
> WTF are you talking about adrian!?

We all have NTSC tv's? No we don't.
>

UK TV sets run in PAL which run at 50mhz (this figure comes from the
> frequency of the power used in the UK.

However, US tv sets run in NTSC which
> run at 60mhz - again this figure comes form the fact that the US have a
> different power standard.

The mhz rate also defines the FPS that a tv can
> output, 25FPS on 50mhz pal systems and 30 FPS on 60mhz NTSC TV's. Which, as a
> side note is why US (and JAP) games run fater - because the TV have a better
> frame rate.

For this very reason somthing that is design to run on PAL will
> not work on NTSC and visa versa.

Have you ever tried to use an NTSC PS2 on a
> UK TV?

First you need a step-down power converter - this enables you to
> chnage the Uk power supply (50mhz) to that of the US (60mhz) and thus enables
> you to get a picture on the TV.

However if you simply use a AV areial with
> the PS2, the picture will be in black and white. This is because while you've
> converted the power, you still have the problem that NTSC TV's have less
> horizontal scan lines - 525 compaired with 625 lines on a PAL TV. This is why
> you need to use an RGB Scart lead and have a TV that can accept such a
> signal.

Again, as a side note the fact that UK PAL TV's have more scan lines
> mean that UK games have a slightly higher resolution than NTSC games - but as i
> said the trade of is the US games run faster due to the high mhz.

This isn't
> just try for consoles - ever tried recording a film on a VCR in the US and
> playing it on a uk VCR onto you TV through the regular arieal - its black and
> white and the picture is messed up!

For these reasons alone it does (belive
> me) take a little while for a game to be converted from NTSC to PAl. But not
> that long.

hmmmm, a long post, didn't mean to lecture you but it had to be
> said.

Anyway the reason MGS2 has been put back isn't because of the etxra
> DVD or the conversion time - it's because Sony want to try and steal the Xbox's
> thunder and what better way of doing this than releasing their best game so for
> 1 week before the xbox's release.

oh, and if anyone is still awake at the end
> of the....WELL DONE ;-)

-----------------------

OK. Most new PAL, and NTSC can play the other coding. The only real factor prohibiting the use of consoles in the wrong region is plugs. If its a simple factor of changing the plug; fine, but often you have to have, as you say, a step-down converter. These don't cost very much though.

-----------------------

D3AD_RAGE wrote:
>Can anyone tell me why Game Developers continue to give >late release dates for Europe take Metal Gear Solid 2 for >example to my knowledge it has been avalible way over a >month and god knows how long its been out in Japan and to >just find out its not out here now till March 8th becasue >of an extra CD well thats their excuse well imo i think >thats unfair. What do you think?

-----------------------

Metal Gear Solid 2 was actually out in America before it was out in Japan. Only by about a week, but that is true.
Thu 10/01/02 at 18:35
"You love us!"
WTF are you talking about adrian!?

We all have NTSC tv's? No we don't.

UK TV sets run in PAL which run at 50mhz (this figure comes from the frequency of the power used in the UK.

However, US tv sets run in NTSC which run at 60mhz - again this figure comes form the fact that the US have a different power standard.

The mhz rate also defines the FPS that a tv can output, 25FPS on 50mhz pal systems and 30 FPS on 60mhz NTSC TV's. Which, as a side note is why US (and JAP) games run fater - because the TV have a better frame rate.

For this very reason somthing that is design to run on PAL will not work on NTSC and visa versa.

Have you ever tried to use an NTSC PS2 on a UK TV?

First you need a step-down power converter - this enables you to chnage the Uk power supply (50mhz) to that of the US (60mhz) and thus enables you to get a picture on the TV.

However if you simply use a AV areial with the PS2, the picture will be in black and white. This is because while you've converted the power, you still have the problem that NTSC TV's have less horizontal scan lines - 525 compaired with 625 lines on a PAL TV. This is why you need to use an RGB Scart lead and have a TV that can accept such a signal.

Again, as a side note the fact that UK PAL TV's have more scan lines mean that UK games have a slightly higher resolution than NTSC games - but as i said the trade of is the US games run faster due to the high mhz.

This isn't just try for consoles - ever tried recording a film on a VCR in the US and playing it on a uk VCR onto you TV through the regular arieal - its black and white and the picture is messed up!

For these reasons alone it does (belive me) take a little while for a game to be converted from NTSC to PAl. But not that long.

hmmmm, a long post, didn't mean to lecture you but it had to be said.

Anyway the reason MGS2 has been put back isn't because of the etxra DVD or the conversion time - it's because Sony want to try and steal the Xbox's thunder and what better way of doing this than releasing their best game so for 1 week before the xbox's release.

oh, and if anyone is still awake at the end of the....WELL DONE ;-)
Thu 10/01/02 at 17:47
Regular
"Bah"
i see your point, its just a fob off from Konami the extra disk as i really dont care about it, y cant we have games the same time and if someone says conversions one more time ill shoot them!"
MM
Thu 10/01/02 at 16:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
D3AD_RAGE wrote:
> yeah but whats wrong with driving a bus and stopping at traffic lights :p j/k
> thx man never looked at it like that i feel all lucky now :)

They still get some great games months before us. They had GT3, FF10, MGS2, Devil May Cry e.t.c. But we do have alot of great gaems that the japanese will never get to play or have them months after we get them.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:50
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
adrian wrote:
> or drive a train down a track.

Whoooo-hoooo!

oops, sorry that should have been

Choooo-choooo!

*Think these late nights are getting to me, must get more sleep*
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:47
yeah but whats wrong with driving a bus and stopping at traffic lights :p j/k thx man never looked at it like that i feel all lucky now :)
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:45
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Just been having a look through japanese games. They have trian simulators and dating simulations every where.

Think if you lived in japan you could look forward to Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, or maybe True Love Story 3. Then you cold have fun driving a Bus around tokyo picking up passengers and stopping at traffic lights. Or maybe race a horse, or drive a train down a track.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:44
lmao yeah i guess that sux :/
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:42
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Timesplitters has never been released in Japan. Timesplitters 2 has only be confirmed as a european release.
SSX Tricky isnt out in Japan until 7/02/02.
Red Faction never been released in Japan.

As I said before the japanese love weird games. They would rather play a horse racing game, bus driving game rather than MGS2. They havent got quite a few of the good PS2 games.

So you think we get a bad time games wise, if you were in Japan right now the best selling game would probably be, Train simulator 2.
Thu 10/01/02 at 15:37
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Tony Hawks 3. Came out in America 31/10/01. Europe 30/11/01, and in Japan it hasnt been released.

Shenmue 2, has never been released in America.

Jak and Daxter. 5/12/01 in America, 7/12/01 in Europe and 20/12/01 in Japan.

Wipeout Fusion 8/2/02 in Europe. No dates confirmed for the Japanese or American release.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.