GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 anyone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Thu 20/02/03 at 09:19
Regular
Fools...

Sometimes I think that there are people on the xbox forum who have forgotten that the sequel to the best game on xbox is coming out.

Yeah, alright, so there isn't exactly dayly updates but still, maybe we can all say what we want in Halo 2 and when updates come, we can post them here...........
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> So, not very original then.
>
> Why does every game have to be original? New geners and styles of play
> do not need to be original just as long as they are good and in terms
> of Halo it is VERY good.

That was in response to that newbie. He was trying to prove it was. NOTHING is original any more.

>
> Everybody go an play AvP2, and play a decent FPS.
>
> Halo is the best FPS game I have ever played and FPS games are my
> favourite genre. The game doesn't do anything new for the genre but it
> certainly pushes it all the way to maximise the gameplay. So many
> games promise that the enemy AI is revolutionary yet Halo is one of
> very few games where the enemies actually try to out smart you. As a
> pure FPS game it doesn't get any better than Halo and 12 completions
> down the line I am still ready to start over again to use new tactics.
> A lot of games I complete on the hardest difficulty and then don't
> think about them again, however in Halo I keep thinking of how I
> escaped battles on Legendary in one piece and this is the sign of a
> quality game.

Sure, but then again, it doesen't do much new. Neither did Perfect Dark, and that was a classic, granted, but to be honest, I really can't see what the AI was all about. I meanthe fuss about it. I played it all the way through on Heroic. The AI was just like any other. Maybe a bit better, but they didn't *try* to outsmart me. They simply did their little things and I shot them - i.e run away, run/bounce at me, or hide and shoot. All I ahd to do was shoot back. Done in every other FPS ever. I grant you Halo is a little more special though.

> I don't know why Maverick and yourself keep saying the game isn't
> original because I aren't sure of who said it was in the first place.
> No one has said the game is anything other than what it is and that is
> a pure FPS game that takes what Half Life did and made it into a next
> generation version.

Yeah. And Half Life look crap too. :P (Joke) Like I said, nothing is original.

Not many puzzles (around 1-2), Superb graphics,
> along with MGS2 it has the best in game Audio I have ever heard and in
> terms of a quality polished performance Halo is up there with the
> best.

Granted, I have not heard it in 5.1, as you keep blabbering on about, but then again, a game should grab *ME* for something else.....that untouchable thing. The 'magic' as they call it. For *ME*, Halo has none of that. It is very polished too.

I honestly don't think it is fair to comment on the game unless
> you have played it through at LEAST once because otherwise you will be
> missing out on the BAFTA winning story line and excellent FPS
> gameplay.

Done diddly-done done. And on co-op (now that IS cool...) The storyline is pulled off with style, but to be honest, I did not care about it. The only twiest was that Halo kills all life, not just your enemies, and that weren't much of a shock.

> Sure, Halo is cool in parts. But AvP2 actualy...has ATMOSPHERE!
>
> To say the game isn't classed as a Survival Horror I was genuinely
> scared in places. If you have a Dolby Digital system then you would
> understand the levels which Bungie stretched to in order to create a
> astheticaly ear pleasing experience. When you first meet the Flood the
> Sub-woofer has a very deep sound (almost like the bottom of the ocean
> as the world lives on around it) and in terms of Atmosphere I would
> rate this up there with the likes fo Resident Evil and Eternal
> Darkness.

I don't have 5.1, but then again, neither did I on PD or AvP2. Of course, AvP2 is meant to scare you, but Goldeneye, PD etc scared you because you died, and that was it - you valued your life on the really ahrd bits, because you weren't given a checkpoint every 10 minutes. AvP2, as a marine, has more atmosphere in its intro, than Halo does ever. But Halo *is still good!* Yes i said that, but it DOES NOT deserve the hype it got.

> I'll stop now.
>
> Good idea because you are making yourself look stupid.

I don't often do that by the way (pick posts apart) and to be honest, whats the difference between an alien opinion to you, and stupidity. If you see what I mean.

I think.....

Anyhoo.

:)
Sun 02/03/03 at 19:35
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Maverick42 wrote:
> I hope Halo 2 will be original.

Like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkenss, Starfox Adventures, Mario Party 4, Legend Of Zelda, Final Fantasy.....need I go on ?

Halo 2 will be a damn good exclusive game, and unless Nintendo get with the European market - about as likely as no war in Iraq this year - it will help give Nintendo the kicking in the sales department they deserve.

If you want original go buy a C64 or Spectrum, because that was original, everything else stems from the 80's anyway, originality is a dead concept now. If anyone thinks anything in a game is original then it just means they don't know about many of the early games that existed or that have done in videogame history.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 02/03/03 at 19:05
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> So, not very original then.

Why does every game have to be original? New geners and styles of play do not need to be original just as long as they are good and in terms of Halo it is VERY good.

> Everybody go an play AvP2, and play a decent FPS.

Halo is the best FPS game I have ever played and FPS games are my favourite genre. The game doesn't do anything new for the genre but it certainly pushes it all the way to maximise the gameplay. So many games promise that the enemy AI is revolutionary yet Halo is one of very few games where the enemies actually try to out smart you. As a pure FPS game it doesn't get any better than Halo and 12 completions down the line I am still ready to start over again to use new tactics. A lot of games I complete on the hardest difficulty and then don't think about them again, however in Halo I keep thinking of how I escaped battles on Legendary in one piece and this is the sign of a quality game.

I don't know why Maverick and yourself keep saying the game isn't original because I aren't sure of who said it was in the first place. No one has said the game is anything other than what it is and that is a pure FPS game that takes what Half Life did and made it into a next generation version. Not many puzzles (around 1-2), Superb graphics, along with MGS2 it has the best in game Audio I have ever heard and in terms of a quality polished performance Halo is up there with the best. I honestly don't think it is fair to comment on the game unless you have played it through at LEAST once because otherwise you will be missing out on the BAFTA winning story line and excellent FPS gameplay.

> Sure, Halo is cool in parts. But AvP2 actualy...has ATMOSPHERE!

To say the game isn't classed as a Survival Horror I was genuinely scared in places. If you have a Dolby Digital system then you would understand the levels which Bungie stretched to in order to create a astheticaly ear pleasing experience. When you first meet the Flood the Sub-woofer has a very deep sound (almost like the bottom of the ocean as the world lives on around it) and in terms of Atmosphere I would rate this up there with the likes fo Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness.

> I'll stop now.

Good idea because you are making yourself look stupid.
Sun 02/03/03 at 18:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
So, not very original then.

Everybody go an play AvP2, and play a decent FPS.

Sure, Halo is cool in parts. But AvP2 actualy...has ATMOSPHERE!

I'll stop now.
Sun 02/03/03 at 18:45
Regular
there are mele combo ataks, steath bits where u can shoot out lights , damage like using a grenade to make a cover hole, u can also now sprint,armor gets coverd in mud,theres a quad bike and other viehcles, new gorila aliens, the flood can drive, online alien v marine and more how cool
Sun 02/03/03 at 17:34
Regular
I hope Halo 2 will be original.
Sun 02/03/03 at 15:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Cyclone wrote:
> As long as they make it exciting, and you don't rant on about it.
>
> :D

Well if we're talking about it now, with 9 months to go, imagine how bad we'll all be when it gets closer, or when a new trailer is released :P

To use the well known phrase; "you ain't seen nothing yet" :D

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 02/03/03 at 14:24
"Tagline"
I think there needs to be more marines with you this time, and maybe some Master cheifs. It sounds good about the new vehicles you'll be able to drive. Also, in Halo 1 they used the same level a few times, just added some new bodies to it. Many of the areas looked exactly the same too. It would be good if they include a plane in the multiplayer too.
Sun 02/03/03 at 13:39
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Oh it will be exciting cause Halo IS the best game ever afterall (ooo, the controversy). ;-)
And I'll be sure to rant about it just on the pure reason that it'll wind you up. ;-))
Sun 02/03/03 at 13:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
As long as they make it exciting, and you don't rant on about it.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.