GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 anyone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Thu 20/02/03 at 09:19
Regular
Fools...

Sometimes I think that there are people on the xbox forum who have forgotten that the sequel to the best game on xbox is coming out.

Yeah, alright, so there isn't exactly dayly updates but still, maybe we can all say what we want in Halo 2 and when updates come, we can post them here...........
Wed 05/03/03 at 19:14
Regular
So in a couple of words - I agree.

:D
Wed 05/03/03 at 19:13
Regular
Some of Nintendo's games are, now I come to think of it, quite lacking in a decent storyline. That's not to say they don't have depth though - many of them actually are quite enthralling and interesting (e.g. Animal Crossing). To be fair though, how much storyline can you fit into a Mario game?

However, there's another side of Nintendo that CAN do a good storyline. The Legend Of Zelda, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Pokemon (to an extent) and others. These are equally enjoyable, but at the end of the day - I'd like to see Nintendo develop more games with better stories and plots.

I didn't get into Halo's storyline enough to comment.
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Star Fury wrote:
> Ah, but to me, and a lot of people, the background and story are the
> msot important thing of a game. Sure, you don't need a massive plot,
> just something that motivates on some level.
>
> I believe this is why Nintendo faces problems with the image of it's
> games - many gamers cannot identify with bounding a fat plumber around
> a teletubby coloured landscape, and so on. Sure, they have gameplay,
> but not enough to them to keep some gamers interested. It's partly for
> the same reason that Blinx did so badly at Christmas - its taken heavy
> advertising and press to get it anywhere near the top of the chart -
> because gamers can't identify readily with a grinning insane cat !

I agree. Nintendo do lack a certain draw in that sense. However, if like me, you KNOW Nintendo, then you don't care. But most monkeys don't. Damn them. I also like big storylines - backstory and stuff. Both Resident Evil and ED have a recognisable backstory and links to real events. Except Resi. But that has a mansion. And real people. See how easy to recgonise it is?!

:)
Tue 04/03/03 at 23:03
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Well all can identify with huge crime sprees in GTA however. :)
Tue 04/03/03 at 19:55
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Ah, but to me, and a lot of people, the background and story are the msot important thing of a game. Sure, you don't need a massive plot, just something that motivates on some level.

I believe this is why Nintendo faces problems with the image of it's games - many gamers cannot identify with bounding a fat plumber around a teletubby coloured landscape, and so on. Sure, they have gameplay, but not enough to them to keep some gamers interested. It's partly for the same reason that Blinx did so badly at Christmas - its taken heavy advertising and press to get it anywhere near the top of the chart - because gamers can't identify readily with a grinning insane cat !
Mon 03/03/03 at 22:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think thats the fundemental difference between us Star Fury. You obviously value a game for its story, and recognisable features. I like that as much as the next guy, but I also (not saying you don't) place much more value on the game, not its background.
Mon 03/03/03 at 20:01
Regular
Star Fury wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> I hope Halo 2 will be original.
>
> Like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkenss, Starfox
> Adventures, Mario Party 4, Legend Of Zelda, Final Fantasy.....need I
> go on ?

Well yes, but Mario Party 4 isn't especially original. It's got some new ideas - and kind of owns it's genre, but the mini games are the only original parts of the sequel these days.

> Halo 2 will be a damn good exclusive game, and unless Nintendo get
> with the European market - about as likely as no war in Iraq this year
> - it will help give Nintendo the kicking in the sales department they
> deserve.

Look - I'm not saying Halo 2 WON'T be a 'damn good exclusive game', because it's likely it will. I was expressing my hope that the game will feature some interesting and original ideas - being, for me, the game Halo should have been.

Nintendo actually are getting their act together with the European market. Though they managed to (marginally) sell more than Microsoft last year, it's common knowledge that weekly sales have been on a steady drop in the UK and other places. I'd go into their tactics and deals, but seeing as this is an X-Box forum - I doubt many would care.

And what's this about a deserved 'kicking in the sales department'?

> If you want original go buy a C64 or Spectrum, because that was
> original, everything else stems from the 80's anyway, originality is a
> dead concept now. If anyone thinks anything in a game is original then
> it just means they don't know about many of the early games that
> existed or that have done in videogame history.

Original ideas can be found quite a lot in today's games and movies - and are continuing to crop up. Sure, you can be petty about things and say to people that it's been done before - but that tends to almost always be a longshot. Though original concepts are quite rare (games like Blinx and Animal Crossing have them), there are new ideas all over the place and to say there aren't is just naive.
Mon 03/03/03 at 18:45
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I think one of the biggest differences will be the fact that it starts on Earth, it isn't about exploration, it's "kill them or they'll wipe out everyone" time.

Halo, through the plot, cut scenes, music, atmosphere and the characters you interacted with, created a world which made most of us want to keep playing.

We HAD to stop the flood, we HAD to stop the covenant.

In Halo 2, from the preview trailer, it's clear that the player will be dropped into a conflict that is essentially Earth's last stand, the planet is being bombarded, the defenders are in retreat and dying, mushroom clouds are erupting from the planet surface, I think that kind of situation is the kind of epic scifi story most people who played Halo can identify with. That earth may only be pixels and animation, but it's still Earth.

And because we've only ever seen Master Chief as a full 3d modelled character it's easier to relate to him, to suspend disbelief, whereas many of us will remember Metroid's Samus from the Snes days, and her appearance on the GBA, plus it's set in places that are entirely fictional, and as far as I know you see no more human characters.

It's harder to engage in the story with that kind of background. Same goes for Shemue 2 - real people, real(ish) storyline, and MGS2 Substance, heck even DOAX Volleyball. Real people in believable (ish) situations make for better games in my book. That's why I can never really appreciate Nintendo's stuff - and I have tried, used to have a GC, N64 and GBA - I just can't seem to give a toss whether Mario makes it, or whether Olimar survives, or whether the little monkey plumets to another splat on the ground.
Mon 03/03/03 at 18:06
"Tagline"
I can't wait for the online multiplayer! Just imagine tearing across the field in your "troophog" ,fully laden with other human players, to bring reinforcements to the front! It'll be amazing! I think there's the jungle hog, snow hog, warthog, troophog, destert hog and another.
Sun 02/03/03 at 21:20
Regular
Feel free to pick them apart I don't mind to talk about something in detail. If people just did one line replies then it wouldn't be much of a topic would it? It really is each to there own at the end of the day and in this instance I rate Halo as one of my all time favourite games. I am VERY excited about Metroid Prime because some have said it is better than Halo and others have said different. As a neutral owning both consoles and both games (I will get Metroid on the release date) I can't wait to see which I enjoy the most.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.