GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zeldas new style"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/02 at 15:16
Regular
Okay, i guess everybody know that Shiguru Miyamoto changed Zelda into a childish **** game, right? So what does it means, that the game´s got worse? Maybe, maybe not. Here´s what i think:

I bought my Nintendo 64 after i won in betting. Not long after i bought Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. I fell totally in love with it. The story, the graphics, the characters, it was all so very cool. (in all secret, i needed help in the first dungeon, though)And after i finished it(which took me some time) i just wanted number two to come. And some months later, i read in an mag: Zelda two WILL come to The N64. I got totally exited and started to buy every single mag to have as much info on it as possible. Then the big day came, i was in town with my mom and my two brothers, without knowing that it was released. Then i checked in on an shop and saw it. I took it, took out my wallet and bought it.

Then i see in a mag(i only buy one know) that Nintendo will release a new console called Dolphin. Some months it has changed to GameCube. I still buy the mag and see some brilliant shots off Zelda. Crystalclear graphics and a brilliant fight against Ganondorf and Link. Then at E3 they show a new video from Zelda. With a little kid sneaking around in a castle with cartoony enemies? What kind of **** is this, is the first thing i think.

Now, some months later, Nintendo still holds this cartoony style, but rumours are that Nintendo have chnged it into the old realistic style. Great news that, huh? Hopefully they will keep this style. What do you think, cartoony or realistic?
Mon 07/01/02 at 23:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Only Nintendo makes their games look like plasticine. The rest of us just make them look good.

Dringo, lack of detail in cel shading is a fact of life. It's one of the main features of the style. Get over it.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:41
Regular
Realistic facial expressions i meant.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:40
Regular
The graphics we saw at E3 were crud, not because of cell shading oh no cell shading will make it smoother and more realistic oh no because there was basically no detail what so ever. Some mags saw this in both Mario and Zelda and were annoyned Nintendo gave into the public and showed them it anyway as it is obviously a long way graphically from compleation.
Mon 07/01/02 at 21:51
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> I personally really hate the cel-shading style in Zelda. It's different to ones
> like Jet Set and Fur Fighters, it looks more like those really crap 60's
> cartoons. It freaks me out. Anyway, I think it was the wrong move to make, but
> that's just me...

Yeah well, you said that Zelda 64 was crap so you're obviously anti Zelda so you don't count in this matter.

Sonic Rav wrote:

But for a game like Zelda, it is simply wrong. I'm sure the gameplay and all with be great, but the game does not warrant the cell shading... There's simply no reason for it- it doesn't enhance gameplay at all!

Have you seen the footage clip?
It runs smoother than any game I've ever seen and has animation that would've looked ridiculously stupid with the plastacine look, and it's still got huge potential to have a dark, deep storyline.

The animations and sound will bring the characters to life like they've never been done before.

Ortega wrote:

It was meka's idea wernt it? cel shading for little link. more relistic look for adult link. Sounds good to me.

Yeah. That's the ideal solution but unlikely with Shigsy's short 'n sweet madness. Also, I don't think he likes his Zelda fans at the moment after they had such a go at his cel shading idea.

Hopefully it'll have the cel shaded look for as a child when it's all fun, games and meeting characters, but as grown up Link, the more detailed Plastacine look will kick in for more detail and a darker atmosphere.

I doubt it'll happen though.

It would be nice though.
Sun 06/01/02 at 23:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I personally really hate the cel-shading style in Zelda. It's different to ones like Jet Set and Fur Fighters, it looks more like those really crap 60's cartoons. It freaks me out. Anyway, I think it was the wrong move to make, but that's just me...
Sun 06/01/02 at 22:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, just to reinforce my previous views...

I think cell shading is great for games like Jet Set- it emphasises the waky graphiti style.

But for a game like Zelda, it is simply wrong. I'm sure the gameplay and all with be great, but the game does not warrant the cell shading... There's simply no reason for it- it doesn't enhance gameplay at all!

Sonic
Sun 06/01/02 at 21:55
Regular
We still havnt been given anything yet though.

All we have seen is a few clips of cel-shading.

It was meka's idea wernt it? cel shading for little link. more relistic look for adult link. Sounds good to me.

Nothing is certain, i'm sure ninty have a little ace up thier sleeve, as they woudnt leave one of their main flagship titles like this after it has recieved a lot of negative feedback from casual gamers.
Sun 06/01/02 at 21:49
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I was nearly sick when I saw the new cartoony look for Zelda - especially after seeing the movie of link and ganon battling like loads of others.

Its all well making something like that and using it to show us how powerful the GC will be, but thats like holding a big fat juicy lolly pop upto a kid and saying "this is what i could give you" and then saying "but this is what i WILL give you" then passing them a smelly little lolly thats been dragged through dog spew.

Yeah cheers Shigs, thanks mate
Sun 06/01/02 at 21:28
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:

What does worry me is the
> "short and sweet" gaming idea Shigsy has talked about! Zelda is MEANT
> to be epic, and long, and amazing!

The same thing worries me too.
Hopefully, he knows that while the "short and sweet" suits plenty of his quirky ideas, he knows that Zelda is a big adventure.

By the way, the Cel shaded look is much more imaginative and smoother than the generic Plastercine look.
Perhaps "short and sweet" is Shigsy's way of getting back at all those idiots who slagged off the Cel Shading.
If so, it serves them right, but it's still not very fair on me!

:-D
Sun 06/01/02 at 20:28
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:

> it looks like the cell shaded look is here to stay...

That may be wrong as for the next Zelda game the look may be changed back

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.