GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zeldas new style"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/02 at 15:16
Regular
Okay, i guess everybody know that Shiguru Miyamoto changed Zelda into a childish **** game, right? So what does it means, that the game´s got worse? Maybe, maybe not. Here´s what i think:

I bought my Nintendo 64 after i won in betting. Not long after i bought Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. I fell totally in love with it. The story, the graphics, the characters, it was all so very cool. (in all secret, i needed help in the first dungeon, though)And after i finished it(which took me some time) i just wanted number two to come. And some months later, i read in an mag: Zelda two WILL come to The N64. I got totally exited and started to buy every single mag to have as much info on it as possible. Then the big day came, i was in town with my mom and my two brothers, without knowing that it was released. Then i checked in on an shop and saw it. I took it, took out my wallet and bought it.

Then i see in a mag(i only buy one know) that Nintendo will release a new console called Dolphin. Some months it has changed to GameCube. I still buy the mag and see some brilliant shots off Zelda. Crystalclear graphics and a brilliant fight against Ganondorf and Link. Then at E3 they show a new video from Zelda. With a little kid sneaking around in a castle with cartoony enemies? What kind of **** is this, is the first thing i think.

Now, some months later, Nintendo still holds this cartoony style, but rumours are that Nintendo have chnged it into the old realistic style. Great news that, huh? Hopefully they will keep this style. What do you think, cartoony or realistic?
Thu 10/01/02 at 12:00
Regular
Besides, it's Shigsy's game, not yours.

Although it lacks detail, the cel shaded look runs smoother than any other game.

Download and watch the video and if you STILL don't like it then you're not a real Zelda fan. You just like to think you are!
Thu 10/01/02 at 11:18
Regular
"not dead"
I really don't know how a Zelda title can be criticized for it's graphical style.

Until we've played it, we won't know if it's suited to the game or not.

That said, Zelda titles have never been about graphics, which is why Oracle of Ages is the game I'm playing most at the moment.

Going right back to the original Legend of Zelda, it was about combining the action of a platform game, with the exploration of an RPG. To do this you get the top down look, and the ability to wander where you please. You could only go into the dungeons in the right order, but you could see much of the land any time you wanted. The graphics were nothing special, even for the NES, but the game was quite successful, becasue it was different. It wasn't an RPG, but had enough elements to appeal to fans, but it also had the real time fighting, with a sword, so it wasn't too geeky to appeal to the action freaks.

The first sequel, Adventures of Link, moved more towards RPG, with you able to gain strength by beating more enemies, and having a number of different spells you could perform. It still had plenty of action, in fact the dungeons were side scrolling levels. But again, it was the exploration of the land, finding the secrets, making progress, that made it really special.

What really made the series stand out though has to be the SNES version, a Link ot the Past. What I really liked about this game was the sher number of different items you could collect and use, and the way that the whole map seemed to be open, but you could only reach certain areas after gaining the items you needed to overcome some of the obstacles. Another think that made it special was the alternative world you had to go to. It made the adventure huge, and incredibly satisfying to finish!

Link's Awakening on the Gameboy made me see that it was the gameplay that made it special, as the graphics on the Gameboy have always been a little basic when comparedtothe home console. Link's Awaking had all of the ingredients that made the series special, and despite only having two action buttons, it was a joy to control.

Each title has added something new, Ocarina of Time again used the alternative world idea of A Link to the Past, but the key to the game was the Ocarina. Learning new songs opened new doors, and you could continue the game.

Majora's Mask introduced the wonderful time limit. Repeating the same three days, over and again sounds tedious. It wasn't. You were able to slowly piece things together by being in the right place at the right time, and there were dozens of mini-quests you could go on in order to get more and more masks, and see more of the game.

I haven't completed Oracle of Ages yet, but I've already found new aspects in this game that haven't been seen before, and could be further intergrated into other titles.

It seems to me that the evolution of the Zelda titles has lead to something that played a small part in one game becoming a bigger part of a later adventure. In Link's Awaking you could get an Ocarina, and there were 3 different songs you could play. Ocarina took this, and developed it into an integral part of the gameplay for Ocarina of Time. OoT also featured a couple of masks you could wear. Majora's Mask took this aspect, and built it into an integral part of that game. The two Oracle games feature secrets that can be unlocked only by completing both games. Could that be used in the future?

There are so many things that the new Zelda game could be. Yes it has a cel-shaded look, but what does that matter? I want to know what the key to this game is going to be. Will it be music? Masks? Seeds? A link feature with a new GBA title? There is so much to speculate on with this new game, and no doubt when the truth comes out at E3 it will surprise us all, so why are we going on about the look of the game?
Wed 09/01/02 at 10:29
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
zeldapro wrote:
> I don't know why they couldn't stick with the original version, then after its
> release carry on with the cel shaded version.

> = Everyones happy

Because times move on and so does technology...

You can play the original Zelda on a GBC? ...

Why would you want to spend a few hundred quid on a new consoles if your just getting the same game that you could have on your N64?

Equally... PacMan was popular... but would you still want ot be playing it 20 years on?
Tue 08/01/02 at 19:49
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I don't know why they couldn't stick with the original version, then after its release carry on with the cel shaded version.

= Everyones happy
Tue 08/01/02 at 18:38
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:

I say opinions as heated as many here should be held firm
> until some real gametime has been put into this title and you can make a
> judement based on your own experiences...

Coundnt agree with this statement more.
Tue 08/01/02 at 17:14
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Jonman wrote:
> Christ, you lot need to take deep breaths and a long hard look at yourselves in
> the mirror.

> ...

The lot of you, go and stand in the corner
> until it you've played it.

I reckon you've pretty much nailed the problem...

I know Ninties a pretty passionate about their system... and very protective about thier AAA titles...

It does seem a little unfair for you to shoot down Shigsy on the basis of very little actual factual information...

Not that I'm suggesting that discssing your feelings is bad... but wisly kept inperspective of what is known both of the title and the developers...

After all, it was you Ninties who put Shigsy into that unattainable plinth in the first place... he just wanted to create a few games and get rich :)

I say opinions as heated as many here should be held firm until some real gametime has been put into this title and you can make a judement based on your own experiences...

(Was it Meka or Grix who used to say that, when Nintendo were showing their demo animations, that at least Nintendo would never use FMV to show off their machine like MS or Sony, and that all shots were in game graphics? :) )
Tue 08/01/02 at 14:54
Regular
"DS..."
Jonman wrote:
> Christ, you lot need to take deep breaths and a long hard look at yourselves in
> the mirror.

You've seen a few static shots and a short video clip, and
> you're slagging the game from here to Kyoto and back.

Books? Covers
> anyone?

*sigh*

Anyone actually played it? no, thought not. Anyone know any
> details about it whatsoever (except for Meka, who has a link to the future
> (geddit?))? Nah, thought not.

The lot of you, go and stand in the corner
> until it you've played it.

*pretends to stand in corner, then grabs Jonman, throws him in cell and disposes of key*
slik ~_~
Tue 08/01/02 at 10:26
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Christ, you lot need to take deep breaths and a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror.

You've seen a few static shots and a short video clip, and you're slagging the game from here to Kyoto and back.

Books? Covers anyone?

*sigh*

Anyone actually played it? no, thought not. Anyone know any details about it whatsoever (except for Meka, who has a link to the future (geddit?))? Nah, thought not.

The lot of you, go and stand in the corner until it you've played it.
Tue 08/01/02 at 09:42
Regular
"DS..."
Whatever it looks like, it will still retain the gameplay and it's reputation for being great that it has had from the very start, it just can't come soon enougth!
slik ~_~
Tue 08/01/02 at 00:03
Regular
Oh shutup.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.