GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discrimination against the Xbox: It has to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/02/03 at 14:18
Regular
How many times has the Xbox been criticized as a computer? Many people say that the Xbox is an overrated fraud of a console. The other day my friend started to criticize the Xbox, comparing it to his Playstation 2 saying how much better it was. He plays on my Xbox and sure enough after an hour gaming on Halo he suddenly had some different opinions about the matter. After another hours gaming on Sega GT 2002 and Colin MacCrae Rally 3 he finally decided to renounce his earlier opinions of the Xbox and admit that it was a pretty good computer. Computer? COMPUTER!!! I was enraged. I nearly hit him over the head with his Playstation 2 he brought to "play on". It didn't even get out of his bag.

OK, the Xbox may have been made by Microsoft, who make computers and software by trade but that does not mean people can treat and dismiss the Xbox as a computer. Even now the Playstation 2 is having a desktop software being created for it. It is having keyboards and mouse’s being adapted to work with it. Now if you were to compare that to the Xbox, which ones a computer now.

People also discriminated against the Xbox because of its size. So it’s big, size doesn't always matter. How else was Microsoft going to fit everything inside it to make it as powerful as it is today. Consoles were built for playing games on, not for carrying around. People might want to take their Console to a friend’s house but what’s the point. If you want a friend to play with you, invite them over to your house and play there. This reduces theft and damages to any console anywhere.

The main proof that people use to discriminate against the Xbox is the fact that Bill Gates is a rich git who does not care at all about the Xbox project. So what! Bill gates did not design or come up with the idea of the Xbox. It is not his dream. He really has no part to play in it other than fund its beginning. What people forget are the people who
actually build and manufacture the Xbox. Most don’t even earn as much as 0.00005% of Bill gates fortune. They have to work and make sure the Xbox sells for their own individual profit. That’s where quality control and quality manufacture comes in. Bill owns the Microsoft name, which only means he gets some of the money. If people want any of it they have to work and make sure their division of the Microsoft Empire sells; otherwise they either do not get paid or/and are out of a job.

In conclusion I would like to add that one of the biggest reasons why people do not like the Xbox is because they are jealous, jealous because its better than any of their consoles.
Mon 03/03/03 at 23:06
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Ok, I feel like crap now, but a very sobering post.

I respect my parents work hard too and the provide alot for me but, well, I was just saying.
Mon 03/03/03 at 23:02
Regular
Mantis I don't know about you but I have a lot of respect for my parents as they work very hard to give me a decent quality of life. You say it is only £10 extra every month but that is £120 a year and on top of the original installation fee it works out at over £200 for the first year. When you aren't paying the bills it is easy to turn around and say that it isn't a lot of money. £200 a year is a lot and if you had a job you would appreciate that parting with your own money is hard. We are going to order Broadband this month but I haven't pressured my parents into getting it, however they know it will make my life more enjoyable and for the few times a month that my mom uses it she is happy to get the service for Xbox Live nore than anything else.
Mon 03/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Its really quite enjoyable to watch the futile attemps to downplay Xbox Live. Why buy all the online kit for the Gc when there is only one game, and by Nintendos current stance its future support for online is almost non existant. You can get the same game (PSO) plus alot more aswell as an undeniable better service on Xbox.

And before you all rant"im not paying £25 pounds a month" like some old man who says the glass is half empty. Think about it this way, it may be only an extra £10 on top of what you are curently paying for, presumably £15 a month for 56k internet. And in the case with many it our parents paying this fee, not ourselves so why get worked up about it?
Mon 03/03/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Maverick42 wrote:
> It's cheaper than it sounds. There's no monthly fee for PSO (I think
> that's been confirmed), and you can buy the game (best version, mind)
> plus a BROADBAND adapter for fifty quid - tops. Sort out your ISP
> (which you have to do with X-Box too), and you can go.

Yes there is a monthly fee, no one is going to run the servers and maintain them out of charity ! Besides, Amazon and other sites all say there is a fee to pay, plus there is in America so why not over here ? Exactly. I don`t know where you have this idead of game + adaptor for 50 because again, I can`t find it online and SR do not have it. So that still sounds expensive to me.

> Monthly fees are a tricky business. I'm fairly sure there's nothing
> for PSO, but I do know that a lot of games will have them. Star Wars:
> Galaxies on X-Box and PS2 is said to have monthly charges - just like
> most MMORPGs, so I doubt they'll be eradicated on any service.

The only Xbox games that will have them are the MMORPG's with persistent worlds, all the rest are Live!, and free once the yearly sub is paid. The point is that Xbox Live!, by having its own infrastructure, allows the choice. With Nintendo it's pay per game or not at all.

> You don't get a headset - but a keyboard will most probably be
> available. Not as good, I know, but I expect Nintendo will come up
> with some kind of voice communication seeing as Microsoft and Sony are
> relying on that. Oh, and the starter kit is forty-five pounds and the
> two demos are nothing special.

Erm well I think anyone whose played Moto GP will tell you otherwise, fair play on Whacked, but it is still two more demos than Nintendo are giving away..... and rrp is 39.99 , check SR 's listing if you don't believe me. Nintendo will need a headset, and some games to support it, but how do you do reliable voice over 56k ? I fear that will take more than Nintendo's own brand magic...... Keyboard is okay, but for games where communication is essential it's too slow, no one can concentrage on the game and type that fast too keep up with the action. Take Ghost Recon, by the time I've typed "I've got one moving out of the tree line" I'm probably dead before I finished the sentence.
Mon 03/03/03 at 20:29
Regular
Star Fury wrote:
> But...Gamecube "mugs" are paying 35 for an adaptor, plus a
> monthly fee for each game, plsu you have to put up with 56k users and
> the lag that entails, and you don't get a headset. Whereas Xbox users
> pay 40 , no game fees, two demos so they can get going straightaway,
> and a headset>

It's cheaper than it sounds. There's no monthly fee for PSO (I think that's been confirmed), and you can buy the game (best version, mind) plus a BROADBAND adapter for fifty quid - tops. Sort out your ISP (which you have to do with X-Box too), and you can go.

Monthly fees are a tricky business. I'm fairly sure there's nothing for PSO, but I do know that a lot of games will have them. Star Wars: Galaxies on X-Box and PS2 is said to have monthly charges - just like most MMORPGs, so I doubt they'll be eradicated on any service.

There's an option for the 56K, as lots of people do not have broadband, and Nintendo wanted to make the service as widely available as possible. Therefore, those with 56K will have a bit of lag - while those with broadband will experience more or less the same as those on X-Box LIVE.

You don't get a headset - but a keyboard will most probably be available. Not as good, I know, but I expect Nintendo will come up with some kind of voice communication seeing as Microsoft and Sony are relying on that. Oh, and the starter kit is forty-five pounds and the two demos are nothing special.
Mon 03/03/03 at 20:19
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> Blah blah bleh

Look, I don't particularly care any more - we could argue until the cows come home. Nothing's going to change what I think, and what you think - it's just opinion after all. I just happen to have the views of Edge and GamesTM on my side :D.

At the end of the day though - this isn't an insult at all. How much is the X-Box? 159.99? That's bloody cheap for what is essentially a dressed up PC that's primary function is to play games. It would be a problem, if all these PC-esque features upped the price of the console - but they don't.

I therefore, see all these extras very much as a large bonus and for the fantastic price it's at now - who wouldn't? I'll be getting an X-Box in the future (I'm thinking after the next price drop, or bundle) and I'm going to appreciate it's games most of all. The extra features will be just a nice bonus.
Mon 03/03/03 at 19:44
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
But that's my point. A lot of people want to play games agaisnt others at times when there friends are not available, in some cases they may not even have friends who want to play games because, despite what the impression in the games press is, a lot of people still regard games as sad.
Mon 03/03/03 at 19:07
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I'm not saying that online play is crap...

Just that it can never take over the old 4 player madness!

Games like MarioKart will be good, but incredibly boring online due to the fact that you can't see the people that you are racing against...

Having a battle against 3 other mates is much more fun, your mates screaming at you, being hit when you kill someone!

Sure its good fun playing aginst loads of other people, but you're telling me that you'd rather play against people that you've never met and have never seen for hours on end rather than have a few mates around for a few hours...

Online games get boring after a while, having your mates over, doesn't!
Mon 03/03/03 at 18:52
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
4 Player ? Real life multiplayer cannot be like online play. Part of the beauty of team games in Mech Assault/Ghost Recon is that you can plan with your fellow team mates, often you've never talked to them before, and no nothing about them, yet for the span of a game you all work together and talk. That has to be better than any real multiplayer.

Plus, in real multiplayer games, how do you plan what to do ? Whisper ? Ever co ordinated a team of 4 mechs right around the back of another team and then opened fire, all in secret because you can choose to talk jsut to your team mates ? Thought not, it's brilliant.

And, there are always people on Xbox Live. I often play during the day, sometimes in the early morning, but whenever I choose I can play against loads of people, and I can play what I want, how I want. Fancy a team game on Mech Assault ? No problem. Want a standard deathmatch on Unreal ? No problem, online play puts the choice to the individual, not whichever game most of a group wants to play.

Key to all this is....the Xbox Communicator. Why Nintendo is neglecting this vital element is beyond me, it's what makes it so good. No more text scrolling on the screen, it's real people, real voices, spontaneous, even people who are pretty shy soon get used to it, I did !
Mon 03/03/03 at 18:43
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Star Fury wrote:
> But...Gamecube "mugs"

*enters thread of fanboy comments*

I can't be bothered to pay £25+ a month just to play an Xbox online...

My 128K line is fast enough and is cheap, I'm not upgrading for any reason...

I play 4 player on my GC all the time, that's why it's good, I can have a good laugh while playing ISS2/Monkey Ball...

When you compare online gaming to 4 player everyone around the same screen gaming, there's no question as to what's better!

How can you give someone beats online because they killed you?

And you may as well call the PS2 a computer because of the web access, DVD ROM drive, CD ROM drive and fan...

Don't forget the fan!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.