GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discrimination against the Xbox: It has to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/02/03 at 14:18
Regular
How many times has the Xbox been criticized as a computer? Many people say that the Xbox is an overrated fraud of a console. The other day my friend started to criticize the Xbox, comparing it to his Playstation 2 saying how much better it was. He plays on my Xbox and sure enough after an hour gaming on Halo he suddenly had some different opinions about the matter. After another hours gaming on Sega GT 2002 and Colin MacCrae Rally 3 he finally decided to renounce his earlier opinions of the Xbox and admit that it was a pretty good computer. Computer? COMPUTER!!! I was enraged. I nearly hit him over the head with his Playstation 2 he brought to "play on". It didn't even get out of his bag.

OK, the Xbox may have been made by Microsoft, who make computers and software by trade but that does not mean people can treat and dismiss the Xbox as a computer. Even now the Playstation 2 is having a desktop software being created for it. It is having keyboards and mouse’s being adapted to work with it. Now if you were to compare that to the Xbox, which ones a computer now.

People also discriminated against the Xbox because of its size. So it’s big, size doesn't always matter. How else was Microsoft going to fit everything inside it to make it as powerful as it is today. Consoles were built for playing games on, not for carrying around. People might want to take their Console to a friend’s house but what’s the point. If you want a friend to play with you, invite them over to your house and play there. This reduces theft and damages to any console anywhere.

The main proof that people use to discriminate against the Xbox is the fact that Bill Gates is a rich git who does not care at all about the Xbox project. So what! Bill gates did not design or come up with the idea of the Xbox. It is not his dream. He really has no part to play in it other than fund its beginning. What people forget are the people who
actually build and manufacture the Xbox. Most don’t even earn as much as 0.00005% of Bill gates fortune. They have to work and make sure the Xbox sells for their own individual profit. That’s where quality control and quality manufacture comes in. Bill owns the Microsoft name, which only means he gets some of the money. If people want any of it they have to work and make sure their division of the Microsoft Empire sells; otherwise they either do not get paid or/and are out of a job.

In conclusion I would like to add that one of the biggest reasons why people do not like the Xbox is because they are jealous, jealous because its better than any of their consoles.
Sun 23/02/03 at 14:18
Regular
How many times has the Xbox been criticized as a computer? Many people say that the Xbox is an overrated fraud of a console. The other day my friend started to criticize the Xbox, comparing it to his Playstation 2 saying how much better it was. He plays on my Xbox and sure enough after an hour gaming on Halo he suddenly had some different opinions about the matter. After another hours gaming on Sega GT 2002 and Colin MacCrae Rally 3 he finally decided to renounce his earlier opinions of the Xbox and admit that it was a pretty good computer. Computer? COMPUTER!!! I was enraged. I nearly hit him over the head with his Playstation 2 he brought to "play on". It didn't even get out of his bag.

OK, the Xbox may have been made by Microsoft, who make computers and software by trade but that does not mean people can treat and dismiss the Xbox as a computer. Even now the Playstation 2 is having a desktop software being created for it. It is having keyboards and mouse’s being adapted to work with it. Now if you were to compare that to the Xbox, which ones a computer now.

People also discriminated against the Xbox because of its size. So it’s big, size doesn't always matter. How else was Microsoft going to fit everything inside it to make it as powerful as it is today. Consoles were built for playing games on, not for carrying around. People might want to take their Console to a friend’s house but what’s the point. If you want a friend to play with you, invite them over to your house and play there. This reduces theft and damages to any console anywhere.

The main proof that people use to discriminate against the Xbox is the fact that Bill Gates is a rich git who does not care at all about the Xbox project. So what! Bill gates did not design or come up with the idea of the Xbox. It is not his dream. He really has no part to play in it other than fund its beginning. What people forget are the people who
actually build and manufacture the Xbox. Most don’t even earn as much as 0.00005% of Bill gates fortune. They have to work and make sure the Xbox sells for their own individual profit. That’s where quality control and quality manufacture comes in. Bill owns the Microsoft name, which only means he gets some of the money. If people want any of it they have to work and make sure their division of the Microsoft Empire sells; otherwise they either do not get paid or/and are out of a job.

In conclusion I would like to add that one of the biggest reasons why people do not like the Xbox is because they are jealous, jealous because its better than any of their consoles.
Sun 23/02/03 at 14:58
"For the horde!!!!"
:s
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:52
Regular
"Remember me?"
*gives Shadow Knight his medication*
Sun 23/02/03 at 18:43
Regular
Lets face it - the X-Box is basically a cross between a PC and a Dreamcast. You can't blame people for calling it a computer - because it's the truth. At the end of the day though - is this a bad thing?
Sun 23/02/03 at 19:11
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Maverick42 wrote:
You can't blame people for calling it a computer - because
> it's the truth.

But I don't recall doing any word processing on my Xbox. Nor do I remember surfing the internet on it, or using any other similar type of application.

What I can do on my Xbox is play games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that *should* make it a games machine.
Sun 23/02/03 at 19:13
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Lets face it - the X-Box is basically a cross between a PC and a
> Dreamcast.

So not like the Gamecube which has IBM on the box then ?? Doesn't that make the GC a cross between a PC and a dreamcast and a child's play cube ? :)

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 23/02/03 at 22:15
Regular
> Maverick42 wrote:
> Lets face it - the X-Box is basically a cross between a PC and a
> Dreamcast.

No way.So I guess PS2 is a Ps1 and Dreamcast cross.

I agree,who cares about the size,it doesnt matter anyway,all it does is have a bigger space for a larger hardrive thus making it a better gaming system!
Sun 23/02/03 at 22:39
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Christ, we all know XBOX and GC are better than PS2.

Lets just leave the fools to think they know best.
Sun 23/02/03 at 22:50
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
PS3 and Xbox 2 will be "PC's under your telly" without any of the work stuff.

They will be the entertainment centre of the living room. Game's, DVDs, internet, downloadable music, everything. Nintendo better go the home entertainment route or they may get left behind.
Sun 23/02/03 at 23:02
Regular
This time around I will be picking up all three console and on there release dates. I felt that the GameCube and PS2 both had poor launches in the United Kingdom and for me the PS2 never picked up the quality which I was expecting. I had a feeling that Nintendo would pull though and thankfully they have. After the release of Resident Evil the GameCube has gotten considerably better and after picking one up straight after Christmas I got a chance to see what was on offer. I wouldn't be too bothered if the GameCube 2 (or whatever Nitnendo decide to call it) doesn't contain a DVD player because I know both the Xbox 2 and PS3 will do. The great price of the GameCube was a great attraction from day 1 but I didn't feel that there were enough games out at the time to warrant a purchase.

I will be picking up a PS2 (again) after I have finished my GCSE's in order to complete my illusive collection of all 4 next generation consoles. Next time around however I will be getting all 3 of the consoles on their launches so that I can build up my collection from day 1 and try to stop the problem of making one console better than the other. Although I still favour the Xbox as my favourite console I am VERY happy with the GameCube and at the end of March I will have built a superb collection for both my Xbox and GameCube. Let people think what they want about the Xbox because at the end of the day as long as you enjoy it other peoples opinions about it do not count. At the beginning I was annoyed at the number of people who were too ignorant to see a great console behind the Microsoft Xbox. However nearly 1 year on from that I can safely say that the majority of people have realised the quality on offer and the few who haven't I don't bother with.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.