GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discrimination against the Xbox: It has to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/02/03 at 14:18
Regular
How many times has the Xbox been criticized as a computer? Many people say that the Xbox is an overrated fraud of a console. The other day my friend started to criticize the Xbox, comparing it to his Playstation 2 saying how much better it was. He plays on my Xbox and sure enough after an hour gaming on Halo he suddenly had some different opinions about the matter. After another hours gaming on Sega GT 2002 and Colin MacCrae Rally 3 he finally decided to renounce his earlier opinions of the Xbox and admit that it was a pretty good computer. Computer? COMPUTER!!! I was enraged. I nearly hit him over the head with his Playstation 2 he brought to "play on". It didn't even get out of his bag.

OK, the Xbox may have been made by Microsoft, who make computers and software by trade but that does not mean people can treat and dismiss the Xbox as a computer. Even now the Playstation 2 is having a desktop software being created for it. It is having keyboards and mouse’s being adapted to work with it. Now if you were to compare that to the Xbox, which ones a computer now.

People also discriminated against the Xbox because of its size. So it’s big, size doesn't always matter. How else was Microsoft going to fit everything inside it to make it as powerful as it is today. Consoles were built for playing games on, not for carrying around. People might want to take their Console to a friend’s house but what’s the point. If you want a friend to play with you, invite them over to your house and play there. This reduces theft and damages to any console anywhere.

The main proof that people use to discriminate against the Xbox is the fact that Bill Gates is a rich git who does not care at all about the Xbox project. So what! Bill gates did not design or come up with the idea of the Xbox. It is not his dream. He really has no part to play in it other than fund its beginning. What people forget are the people who
actually build and manufacture the Xbox. Most don’t even earn as much as 0.00005% of Bill gates fortune. They have to work and make sure the Xbox sells for their own individual profit. That’s where quality control and quality manufacture comes in. Bill owns the Microsoft name, which only means he gets some of the money. If people want any of it they have to work and make sure their division of the Microsoft Empire sells; otherwise they either do not get paid or/and are out of a job.

In conclusion I would like to add that one of the biggest reasons why people do not like the Xbox is because they are jealous, jealous because its better than any of their consoles.
Mon 03/03/03 at 18:32
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Untitled wrote:
> it has ATI on it fool, ho0w can u even compare the crap x box service
> to the gamecubes line up. gamecube will have

No, FOOL, it has IBM on the packaging, and ATI on the cube, go check the Nintendo site for GC specs at http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/ GB/system/gcn_topic2.jsp and look....oh IBM duh !

> mario kart,
> animal crossing 2
> PSO
> f zero

Yes, brilliant, can I play them now please ? Oh dear, I can't, looks like it's PSO only doesn't it ?

> and more, x box, moto gp, and hmmmm and the rest arent even worth
> mentioning,. and before u get excited about capcom vs snk 2eo, its
> crap, ok, i have it on gamecube and its a let down, ghost recon is
> crap, sega gt is crap, what else is there????

Sega GT isn't online, and Ghost Recon, Mech Assault, Moto GP, even Unreal, are just four of the games that are some of the best online games for a while. Looks to me like you don't even know what you're talking about, not surprisingly.

> and u wonder why u get a years free subscription?????
> because no mug would pay for that line up, even if u do get a really
> good head set (snigger)

But...Gamecube "mugs" are paying 35 for an adaptor, plus a monthly fee for each game, plsu you have to put up with 56k users and the lag that entails, and you don't get a headset. Whereas Xbox users pay 40 , no game fees, two demos so they can get going straightaway, and a headset>

Think its pretty clear which gamers are being taken for a ride here, and it isn't those with an Xbox....
Mon 03/03/03 at 18:04
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Untitled wrote:
> ho0w can u even compare the crap x box service
> to the gamecubes line up. gamecube will have
>
> mario kart,
> animal crossing 2
> PSO
> f zero
>
> and more, x box, moto gp, and hmmmm and the rest arent even worth
> mentioning,. and before u get excited about capcom vs snk 2eo, its
> crap, ok, i have it on gamecube and its a let down, ghost recon is
> crap, sega gt is crap, what else is there????
> and u wonder why u get a years free subscription?????
> because no mug would pay for that line up, even if u do get a really
> good head set (snigger)

Ahhhhhhhh, the noisey mating call of the clueless mongoid...
4 Games huh ? Wow, thats a really impressive line up there.
So the likes of...
Halo 2
Project Gothem Racing 2
Amped 2
Steel Battalion 2
PSO (which is in your meager list)
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Star Wars Galaxies
True Fantasy Live Online
Moto GP 2
Brute Force
Counter Strike
Dead Or Alive 4
Midtown Madness 3
Soldier Of Fortune 2
Lamborghini

Plus it looks like both Perfect Dark 2 and a Conker's BFD game will be online too.
These aren't worth mentioning huh ? And thats before E3 in May. Enjoy paying out all that money for 4 titles.
Go away mate, you're really painfully humiliating yourself.
Mon 03/03/03 at 17:52
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Maverick42 wrote:
> No, but how about downloading things off the internet? And sending
> 'buddies' messages is effectively e-mail. What about MP3? CD? DVD? The
> Harddrive? The PC technology?

Nothing wrong with downloading extra content for games - its not as though we're saving website pics, movies, etc. As for sending messages, you mean a game invite ?? ;-)) Theres no speech involved, no typing or written message, just a simple symbol pops up to say that someone has invited you to their game - hardly the biggest PC communication ever is it.
Ok then, so now I'd like to know how this qualifies as a bigtime PC thing while the GC has online plans too - obviously you're not going to be getting access to this via the internet so what will you lot be using ? A bunch of cups and string add-ons ?

The DVD is no different to what the PS2 does and doesn't that Qcube thing in Japan play DVD's ? Or is this yet another exception that lets off the Nintendo console ?
As for the CD's - practically all latest consoles allow this and the MP3 thing is revolved around gaming on the console, allowing you to use you're favourite tracks as you play certain games which in my view is only a good thing if you prefer it or the music is not to your taste in a game.
If the harddrive is such a big PC sin, then what about your memory cards ? All they really are are glorified versions of disks that you'd shove in a PC.

> No. It's an entertainment system that looks set to be going the way of
> a PC.

Fine, whatever - but I still don't see how Nintendo and Sony are exceptions - face it, X-Box is used for playing games and bar the fact you can watch DVD's (something you can do also on PS2 and Qcube), everything to do with it is revolved around games.
I mean look at Sony's online plans - if I remember right you'll be able to surf the web on there, plus its getting a harddrive.
Then theres Nintendo - the little disks weren't made with the vision of "oh lets do that and not have a DVD player, therefore saving the player loads of money", it was done to be more effective against piracy so they don't lose money in that way. Why should they worry about DVD ? Its not as though they'll get any share in DVD's that are sold and watched on the GC.
The only reason they probably went ahead with the Qcube thing was because they realised there is an audience that looks for a DVD player in a console.
Mon 03/03/03 at 09:36
Regular
"aliens exist"
Star Fury wrote:
> Could've sworn the GC box has the words IBM on it.....

it has ATI on it fool, ho0w can u even compare the crap x box service to the gamecubes line up. gamecube will have

mario kart,
animal crossing 2
PSO
f zero

and more, x box, moto gp, and hmmmm and the rest arent even worth mentioning,. and before u get excited about capcom vs snk 2eo, its crap, ok, i have it on gamecube and its a let down, ghost recon is crap, sega gt is crap, what else is there????
and u wonder why u get a years free subscription?????
because no mug would pay for that line up, even if u do get a really good head set (snigger)
Mon 03/03/03 at 09:29
Regular
"aliens exist"
fact is it is basically a computer, k, deal with it, it has a built in modem, a hard drive, internet connectivity and u can play games on it and downlaod music, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like a computer to me. oh and its about the size of a computer tower, turned over, well shock horror,

if it looks like a computer, works like a computer, it must be a computer
Sun 02/03/03 at 23:54
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Nintendo only have one online game. One.

MS already have quite a few now, alot in the pipeline, and expect a whole load more come E3. I don't expect ninteno to come up with anything half as bold and innovitve as MS online service- thats presuming they do even offer anything good enough to be considered a service.

Face it, Xbox Live gives PS2 online and GC online game a swift kick in the balls.
Sun 02/03/03 at 23:01
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
As long as I can play my MarioKart online, I won't have any problems!

I just love the GC because it has some of the best multiplayer games around...

I'm not paying £25 a month for 600k broadband either...

My 128k line gives pings of 18 at the best, so although I can't play Xbox Live with it, if Nintendo are clever and make 'Low ping only' servers like there are on games such as Quake etc... then I'll be loving it when MarioKart goes online!

But with Super Monkey Ball 2 coming out and F-Zero, I'll have some offline madness too!

4 player multiplayer madness!

Yay!
Sun 02/03/03 at 22:05
Regular
Star Fury wrote:
> Listen to this, you have to buy the network adaptor at 34.99, then buy
> Phantasy Star Online, then pay a monthly fee to play it, and no
> headset ! Now MS gave us Live! which, for £40 included two demo
> online games, a headset of great quality, and a years fees paid ! And
> MS is the rip off company ? Not from where I'm standing it isn't.
> Incidentally GC + Online adaptor = £165, and when the free game
> offer ends 20th march the GC looks even crapper value compared to the
> Xbox.

GameCube + Free Game = 129.99
Broadband Adapter + PSO: I + II = 49.99

TOTAL: 179.98
Monthly fees depend on what ISP you have sorted out - but for PSO, there's no extra charge. You have to get a keyboard/headset sorted out though.
-----
X-Box = 159.99
X-Box LIVE Starter Kit = 44.99

TOTAL = 204.98
Monthly fees depend on ISP, but a headset and two demos are included. No games.
-----

I wouldn't call either of them bad value, and Nintendo aren't exactly rushing their service out - it's been ready for a while.
Sun 02/03/03 at 21:59
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> And hows that ? I don't remember using my X-Box as a word processor,
> surfing the net, e-mailing, etc.

No, but how about downloading things off the internet? And sending 'buddies' messages is effectively e-mail. What about MP3? CD? DVD? The Harddrive? The PC technology?

> The X-Box is a gaming console - simple.

No. It's an entertainment system that looks set to be going the way of a PC.
Sun 02/03/03 at 20:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Actually Star Fury has made a decent point there. What he said is definatly no worse than what people are saying against the X-Box and from what I've read, the points Star Fury made are true.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.