GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Big MGS2 Surprise From Play Magazine"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/01/02 at 19:28
Regular
as this months play magazine landed on my floor i quickly rushed and picked it up to be greeted by the words MGS2 IMPORT REVIEW INSIDE. i quickly tore open the wrapping and went to page 24 where the review started. around 6 pages of MGS2 bashing later saying the story was pants and you keep getting interrupted on codec every 2 seconds and raiden sucks compared to solid snake i saw the score. 77% SEVENTY SEVEN PERCENT?!?!?!!? damn man what's up with that i thought this was the games of all games. i hope this is just a crappy american version and the PAL version will be so much better
Thu 03/01/02 at 20:23
Yeah well even so i can't believe they would have knocked 23% off, the demo was fantastic and everything i've heard about it has been good till now. I still believe it will be a 90%+ game myself.
Thu 03/01/02 at 20:44
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Why have you just copied and posted one of your previous posts in this thread?
Thu 03/01/02 at 21:10
"High polygon count"
I used to get Play every month and loved it - I basically only stopped because I wanted PS2-only mags. But this surprises me a lot!

I have read in another PS2 mag that the Codec interruptions do grate a bit, but this is at its worst near the beginning of the game as the scene is set and certain snippets of information are given to the player.

Those of you who played MGS1 will recall that the situation was very much the same, with a lot of Codec interruptions early on, and some very long cut scenes.

Personally I don't mind either - they're all crucial to the atmoshpere of the game, and add a lot to the overall experience. I don't know why Play would have such a 'downer' on the game because of this... remember that despite similar 'problems', MGS1 is still considered by many gamers and industry figures as one of the best games - if not *the* best game - ever created on the PlayStation, and quite possibly any other platform.

So I say you should still be sitting back expectantly waiting for it to plop onto your doorstep! :-)
Thu 03/01/02 at 21:21
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i don't mind cut sceens as long as there cool.
Thu 03/01/02 at 22:13
heya guys,i live in the uk,and the game isnt here yet! :( ive read that in the tanker chapter,you play Solid Snake, and in the Plant chapter you play as Raiden!!!1, is this true? + wots Raiden like? is he good. all you people are slating the game,but even if it is like wot u say, like codec interuptions evey 5 mins,its gota be better than all the other game 4 the ps2!, apart from maybe Devil May Cry, coz that kicks ass!
Thu 03/01/02 at 22:16
Regular
"Bah"
PSM2 gave it 96% on import as well! I prove myself correct PAH!
MM
Thu 03/01/02 at 22:41
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
///M power wrote:
> heya guys,i live in the uk,and the game isnt here yet! :( ive read that in the
> tanker chapter,you play Solid Snake, and in the Plant chapter you play as
> Raiden!!!1, is this true? + wots Raiden like? is he good. all you people are
> slating the game,but even if it is like wot u say, like codec interuptions evey
> 5 mins,its gota be better than all the other game 4 the ps2!, apart from maybe
> Devil May Cry, coz that kicks ass!

You make it sound as though the rest of us live in the US or something and already have the game. Just to clarify, most of us, like yourself, live in the UK and this is a UK website (maybe the .com deceived you).
Thu 03/01/02 at 22:46
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I've not read any reviews yet, i'm waiting to judge for myself.

I think in a way no-body expected it to be anywhere near perfect. There's just been so much hype surrounding it, everyone expected to some extent that it'd end up being a let-down.

I'm still adament that it'll be everything we've waited for. And if it ends up just being another stepping stone towards the proverbial 'perfect' game, then i'll still be happy.
Fri 04/01/02 at 10:00
I find that I trust the PSM2 reviews -

They loved GTA3, OP2M gave it a credible 8.

They gave Jak & Daxter a good mid 80s %, OP2M needed to change their underwear after they played it.

I used to buy Play (in the early days), and thought it was a good mag. Then it started to seem to go down the 'big, colourful pictures' route (ie. less text). Haven't read it in ages, so can't really comment on what it's like now.

By the way, did anyone else think it funny that OP2M had Headhunter plastered all over their cover, yet gave it 7? A couple of pages later Wipeout Fusion gets a 9. Expect an Army Men game on the cover in the near future ;-).

(I realise they plan the covers in advance, but surely they had some inkling it wasn't going to be worthy of a cover in their own opinion?).
Fri 04/01/02 at 10:29
Regular
If you read the review, it states why it is bad. Two bugs in the gameplay, the technology has got wirse than better (the radar machine has to be activated in each area if you want the radar in the top corner of the screen). And it's unoriginal now. That's only a Japanese game review, though, and Japanese people buy Lawnmower Man for a lot of money.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.