GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Belldandy Demonstrates Why PC Gaming Sucks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/03/03 at 19:16
Regular
Okay, after Friday's fun little trip to GAME Nottingham I ventured back today to pick up Command And Conquer Generals. The idea controlling the US military and ahhnilating all opposition finally broke my enforced no PC game buying rule. So, handed over the money, get home, install it, run it, start first mission. PC crashes on loading and goes to desktop with "Serious error occurred". I install new drivers, get Dirext X 9, reinstall, get the three patches for it, try again..."serious error occurred"

Look to the internet for help - now just over two hours since returning from Nottingham and closest I've got to gaming was playing snake on my nokia whilst it installed.... find the problem on the tech support pages, find that Westwood blame it on many things, mostly the end users PC's, offer no explanation, and claim it is rare. Search for term on Google, find it is so rare that every C+C Generals forum out there has at least a topic about it, so not rare.

Get fed up, return to Nottingham - now third time in two days, get money back, will not be buying any PC game ever again....

Morals of the story;

Xbox isn't a PC, it lets you play games for starters.
GAME still suck.
Erm........

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 01/03/03 at 21:15
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Belldandy wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> But, while I agree it DOES have its flaws, most of the time the
> games
> run perfectly. Take my entire collection for example....
>
> KEYWORD: most
>
> Who wants to have something that works most of the time ?
>
> "Good news everyone, airliners work most of the time now, who
> wants to go transatlantic ? Anyone ??? Come on, we get there most of
> the time...."
>
> Battle Engine Aquila is pretty impressive though, definitely a good
> purchase, don't know whether to get MGS Substance..anyone else getting
> it ?
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

Okay then. NEVER, once, ever, has any of my PC games crashed at a point where it would matter. I agree it is annoying, but hardly the end of the world. Never lost any important progress in a game.

Although your experiance does sound nasty.....
Sat 01/03/03 at 21:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> Happily plays Homeworld.
>
> This kicks XBox anyday.
>
> :)
>
> Wow, it must shat on the GC then. ;-)

Nah.

Its not as good as......

*can't be bothered to win an argument*

;)
Sat 01/03/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Cyclone wrote:
> But, while I agree it DOES have its flaws, most of the time the games
> run perfectly. Take my entire collection for example....

KEYWORD: most

Who wants to have something that works most of the time ?

"Good news everyone, airliners work most of the time now, who wants to go transatlantic ? Anyone ??? Come on, we get there most of the time...."

Battle Engine Aquila is pretty impressive though, definitely a good purchase, don't know whether to get MGS Substance..anyone else getting it ?

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 01/03/03 at 20:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Cyclone wrote:
> Happily plays Homeworld.
>
> This kicks XBox anyday.
>
> :)

Wow, it must shat on the GC then. ;-)
Sat 01/03/03 at 20:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
But, while I agree it DOES have its flaws, most of the time the games run perfectly. Take my entire collection for example....
Sat 01/03/03 at 20:51
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thats why I hate PC gaming a lot of the time - theres little worse than spending ages on a game only to have it crash and leave you shouting every swear word in the book while knowing that you've just wasted those hours.
Sat 01/03/03 at 20:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Happily plays Homeworld.

This kicks XBox anyday.

:)
Sat 01/03/03 at 19:16
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Okay, after Friday's fun little trip to GAME Nottingham I ventured back today to pick up Command And Conquer Generals. The idea controlling the US military and ahhnilating all opposition finally broke my enforced no PC game buying rule. So, handed over the money, get home, install it, run it, start first mission. PC crashes on loading and goes to desktop with "Serious error occurred". I install new drivers, get Dirext X 9, reinstall, get the three patches for it, try again..."serious error occurred"

Look to the internet for help - now just over two hours since returning from Nottingham and closest I've got to gaming was playing snake on my nokia whilst it installed.... find the problem on the tech support pages, find that Westwood blame it on many things, mostly the end users PC's, offer no explanation, and claim it is rare. Search for term on Google, find it is so rare that every C+C Generals forum out there has at least a topic about it, so not rare.

Get fed up, return to Nottingham - now third time in two days, get money back, will not be buying any PC game ever again....

Morals of the story;

Xbox isn't a PC, it lets you play games for starters.
GAME still suck.
Erm........

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.