GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can Goldeneye Ever get beaten?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/12/01 at 17:32
Regular
I am a dedicated console follower and own PS1, 2 , DC, N64 and GBC/GBA. I have recently bought James Bond: Agent under fire but i think goldeneye was better, even though the ps2 was clearly the more pwoerful machine. Your thoughts here!
Mon 31/12/01 at 17:32
I am a dedicated console follower and own PS1, 2 , DC, N64 and GBC/GBA. I have recently bought James Bond: Agent under fire but i think goldeneye was better, even though the ps2 was clearly the more pwoerful machine. Your thoughts here!
Mon 31/12/01 at 17:42
Regular
"All about the Beats"
A classic example that goes to show that, more powerful consoles dont necessarily make better games. Long Live C64 and Mega Drive
Mon 31/12/01 at 18:00
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
In answer to the subject line, yes its a game called perfect dark.
Mon 31/12/01 at 18:00
Regular
What about Perfect Dark?
Mon 31/12/01 at 18:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Joe Dark wrote:
> What about Perfect Dark?

I was saying that it is better than goldeneye.
Mon 31/12/01 at 18:13
Regular
If you see we posted at the same time, just yours came on first. The topic question was 'Can Goldeneye Ever get beaten?' I was saying that Perfect Dark could fit into the GoldenEye beater position
Mon 31/12/01 at 18:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that Perfect Dark does beat it in graphics, originality, etc..., but they are both very similar. Because they have both been created by Rare. What if Goldeneye hadn't started as a film, but as a game. Do you think it would have been even better, because of the freedom of ideas that could be used to create it??
Mon 31/12/01 at 18:40
Regular
"Whatever!"
I prefer Perfect Dark to Goldeneye - I think the question is can Perfect Dark ever be beaten - In a word no (not yet anyway!!)
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:36
Me again. I have just (as i said) got Agent under fire. I think the problem with most game nowadays is people just want to show off what graphics they can get out of a console. Goldeneye, however did not focus overly on this aspect.
Tue 01/01/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
The problem with Bond titles now is that Rare set the mould. Other companies are now just trying to replicate the formula (The World Is not enough anyone?) but not doing it as well as Rare. I'm sure other Bond titles have outsold Perfect Dark, but none were anywhere near as good as PD or Goldeneye. Goldeneye was better in some ways to PD in my opinion.

With PD Rare were a victim of their own success. So many had played Goldeneye to death that they had become experts at that style of gameplay, and could do PD on agent mode in no time. Sure, it took longer to win on harder difficulties, but people had got in so much training in Goldeneye, it took less time to win on the hardest setting than Goldeneye (I won it quicker than GE anyway). The cheats were also easier to obtain (I think) just because the levels were more open ended. There were more routes you could choose, and more variables, so setting a challenging but obtainable time was more difficult for Rare. Also, the secret levels were pretty hard, but no level was quite as bad as Goldeneyes 'Killer' level 'Aztec' where you faced Jaws, and had to launch a space ship. That level was near impossible if you hadn't practiced it more than was healthy. Perfect Dark had some damn hard challenges, but none quite as difficult as that.

But PD was better in other respects. Graphics, Multiplay, variety (arguably), and other aspects. The one player may not have been as challenging (mainly because Goldeneye made us so good at Rares style of FPS), but there was more life in it because of Co-Op mode, counter op mode, the multiplay challenges (30 of em, and you could win them with 1-4 players), and the incredibly open ended multiplay. There was also a training ground to mess around in, and a really challenging target range. Perfect Dark did probably beat Goldeneye overall, but for a real fan, you just need them both.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.