GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anti-Nintendo rant."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 11:57
Regular
(That got your attention, didn't it?)

Nintendo's arrogance annoys me.

As far as I can tell, the overriding reason most people would want to own a Nintendo console is purely because of the games, yes? All the Nintendo fans harp on about their exclusive Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's and so forth. It's these you own the console for, and it's these which give you faith in the company.

Am I far wrong here?

Does it make sense then, that Nintendo restrict these games only to one platform? Does it make sense that a company renowned for it's games abuses this reputation in order to sell hardware which is poorly advertised, badly marketed, and fails to appeal to the majority of gamers?

Nintendo are very good at making games.
Nintendo are not very good at pruducing and selling consoles.
Nintendo care little for marketing techniques and customer service beyond their arrogant attitude that people have to get their console if they want the best games.

I don't like this.

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be a better thing for the gaming public in general if Nintendo were a software-only company?

Diverging slightly, The games industry is in a ridiculous state if you think about it. If you bought a Panasonic DVD player over a Sony one, it's not because it will have DVD's released exclusively for it. You buy it for the hardware, and the hardware alone. That's the way it should be with consoles. Games and games console should be mututally exclusive. That is to say, choosing one should not restrict or otherwise affect your choice of the other.

How long will it take for the industry to become co-operative?

You might say it'll never happen, but I'd disagree. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the overwhelming pace with which the technical requirements of games are increasing, prevents anyone from getting a foothold. Eventually, we'll hit a barrier. Either the games won't become noticably more demanding, or perhaps more likely, the hardware reaches it's limitations. When that happens, we'll see things settle down. Eventually, someone will cotton on to the idea that nobody has any reason to buy a new console which plays a different format of games, so it simply won't take off. We'll then see consoles released which play games currently around, and this will eventually heat up into a situation reminiscent of the VHS VS Betamax rivalry. Sooner or later, one games format will dominate. From then onwards into the forseeable future, all consoles will be released to play those games. No exclusive titles. No other considerations. Just buy the console you want because of the features it has.

And if they are still around, Nintendo will seriously have to change their attiude.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:08
Regular
Interesting post.

All games could be "forced" by law to be multi-format. I suppose you could say at the moment, it's a bit like having Ford Petrol just for Fords, and Honda Petrol that just runs on Honda cars. People wouldn't put up with that, so why should they denied GTA-VC if they own a Gamecube, or denied Mario if they own an XBox or PS2.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:04
"Darkness, always"
Nintendo are not good at producing consoles?

Obviously you weren't around in the days of the NES or the SNES. Both of which were absolutely massive.

And now just because the Cube isn't on everyone's menu, Nintendo are a bunch of selfish arrogant tarts?

Shut up you fatuous mong.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:01
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
*cue Top Score*

He'll have a field day in a thread like this!

Still, never as good as the reply he made in the 'The Streets responsible for SEGA downfall'post...

Yes, it was a humourous post saying how Mikey Streets and co were responsible but then Top Score went on about something about their games!?!

Oh well...

And how is the customer service bad? I've never needed to phone them so I can't say anything...
Tue 04/03/03 at 11:57
Regular
"smile, it's free"
(That got your attention, didn't it?)

Nintendo's arrogance annoys me.

As far as I can tell, the overriding reason most people would want to own a Nintendo console is purely because of the games, yes? All the Nintendo fans harp on about their exclusive Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's and so forth. It's these you own the console for, and it's these which give you faith in the company.

Am I far wrong here?

Does it make sense then, that Nintendo restrict these games only to one platform? Does it make sense that a company renowned for it's games abuses this reputation in order to sell hardware which is poorly advertised, badly marketed, and fails to appeal to the majority of gamers?

Nintendo are very good at making games.
Nintendo are not very good at pruducing and selling consoles.
Nintendo care little for marketing techniques and customer service beyond their arrogant attitude that people have to get their console if they want the best games.

I don't like this.

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be a better thing for the gaming public in general if Nintendo were a software-only company?

Diverging slightly, The games industry is in a ridiculous state if you think about it. If you bought a Panasonic DVD player over a Sony one, it's not because it will have DVD's released exclusively for it. You buy it for the hardware, and the hardware alone. That's the way it should be with consoles. Games and games console should be mututally exclusive. That is to say, choosing one should not restrict or otherwise affect your choice of the other.

How long will it take for the industry to become co-operative?

You might say it'll never happen, but I'd disagree. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the overwhelming pace with which the technical requirements of games are increasing, prevents anyone from getting a foothold. Eventually, we'll hit a barrier. Either the games won't become noticably more demanding, or perhaps more likely, the hardware reaches it's limitations. When that happens, we'll see things settle down. Eventually, someone will cotton on to the idea that nobody has any reason to buy a new console which plays a different format of games, so it simply won't take off. We'll then see consoles released which play games currently around, and this will eventually heat up into a situation reminiscent of the VHS VS Betamax rivalry. Sooner or later, one games format will dominate. From then onwards into the forseeable future, all consoles will be released to play those games. No exclusive titles. No other considerations. Just buy the console you want because of the features it has.

And if they are still around, Nintendo will seriously have to change their attiude.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.