GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anti-Nintendo rant."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 11:57
Regular
(That got your attention, didn't it?)

Nintendo's arrogance annoys me.

As far as I can tell, the overriding reason most people would want to own a Nintendo console is purely because of the games, yes? All the Nintendo fans harp on about their exclusive Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's and so forth. It's these you own the console for, and it's these which give you faith in the company.

Am I far wrong here?

Does it make sense then, that Nintendo restrict these games only to one platform? Does it make sense that a company renowned for it's games abuses this reputation in order to sell hardware which is poorly advertised, badly marketed, and fails to appeal to the majority of gamers?

Nintendo are very good at making games.
Nintendo are not very good at pruducing and selling consoles.
Nintendo care little for marketing techniques and customer service beyond their arrogant attitude that people have to get their console if they want the best games.

I don't like this.

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be a better thing for the gaming public in general if Nintendo were a software-only company?

Diverging slightly, The games industry is in a ridiculous state if you think about it. If you bought a Panasonic DVD player over a Sony one, it's not because it will have DVD's released exclusively for it. You buy it for the hardware, and the hardware alone. That's the way it should be with consoles. Games and games console should be mututally exclusive. That is to say, choosing one should not restrict or otherwise affect your choice of the other.

How long will it take for the industry to become co-operative?

You might say it'll never happen, but I'd disagree. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the overwhelming pace with which the technical requirements of games are increasing, prevents anyone from getting a foothold. Eventually, we'll hit a barrier. Either the games won't become noticably more demanding, or perhaps more likely, the hardware reaches it's limitations. When that happens, we'll see things settle down. Eventually, someone will cotton on to the idea that nobody has any reason to buy a new console which plays a different format of games, so it simply won't take off. We'll then see consoles released which play games currently around, and this will eventually heat up into a situation reminiscent of the VHS VS Betamax rivalry. Sooner or later, one games format will dominate. From then onwards into the forseeable future, all consoles will be released to play those games. No exclusive titles. No other considerations. Just buy the console you want because of the features it has.

And if they are still around, Nintendo will seriously have to change their attiude.
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:16
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
VenomByte wrote:
> Sorry about that, my patience wore a little thin :)

It's okay, I see what you're getting at now. And, in an ideal world that might happen. Having said that, in an ideal world there would be world peace, free love, beer instead of water...
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:16
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Exactly, you're missing the point.
>
> It isn't about advertising, it's a pretty pathetic person who rants at
> a console for not being advertised enough. How does it affect you in
> anyway? If you want one, you'll buy it, if you don't, then you
> won't.

Now we're getting somewhere. In theory, I agree - I don't care. In practice however, I do because as things stand a less well advertised console will generally have fewer sales, and it follows that it will have fewer games.

> Consoles have been, and always will be, about the games. And the day
> it's not is the day I stop playing games.

The games should be about the games, and the consoles should be about getting the most out of the games. So yes, it's all about the games. The point I was making however, is that I fundamentally disagree with the idea that it should be about *which* games you'll be able to get the most out of.
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:15
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I did read it. What's your point?

That there should be be loads of different manafacturers selling consoles that run the same games on them?

Rather like the DVD markets, or video recorders?

I can see where you're coming from. But it'll never happen.
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:11
Regular
"smile, it's free"
gerrid wrote:
> Sony and Microsoft and Sega and Atari and all the games console
> producers have always done this. Why do you attack Nintendo?

I have already answered this in the post previous to the one you are quoting.
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:10
Regular
Exactly, you're missing the point.

It isn't about advertising, it's a pretty pathetic person who rants at a console for not being advertised enough. How does it affect you in anyway? If you want one, you'll buy it, if you don't, then you won't.

As for market share, Nintendo have the largest, and the GC has still sold more worldwide then the XBox has.

Consoles have been, and always will be, about the games. And the day it's not is the day I stop playing games.
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:09
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Sorry about that, my patience wore a little thin :)
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:08
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Unbeliever wrote:
> VenomByte wrote:
>
> Thirdly, I am saying that in complete conrast to current values,
> choosing a console should not be about the games it plays.
>
> What on earth are you talking about? That's the only reason people buy
> consoles.

ARGH! I GIVE UP!

CAN'T YOU READ THE FRIGGIN' POST INSTEAD OF PICKING OFF SENTENCES?
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:08
Regular
"bit of a brain"
VenomByte wrote:
> The other way around. Not a keyboard which only works with windows,
> but a version of windows which only works with that keyboard.

Sony and Microsoft and Sega and Atari and all the games console producers have always done this. Why do you attack Nintendo?

> I didn't say anyone had the consumer's interests as their main
> priority, just that Nintendo's interests are most at conflict with
> mine.

Again, you seem happy with Sony not producing games at all, rather you enjoy their, what? their console? Which is vastly inferior to the other two.

Nintendo's interests are to make money and be able to make money in the future as well. Which is the exact same interests as every other private company out there. Why do you pick on Nintendo? Because you want to play their games but you can't because you don't want to buy a GC?
If you want to play Project IGI, but you have a Mac, do you get angry at the PC community for the game not being on the Mac?
If you want to read an article in a newspaper but it's not the newspaper you usuallly get, do you get angry at the publishers?
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:07
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Whitestripes wrote:
> You're missing the point, Nintendo make perfectly good consoles.

Then why do they not have a bigger market share? Advertising and supporting a product is as important a part of the whole process as what it's specs are or when it hits the shelves.

Need I mention Sony and Nintendo's relative sales figures since the PSX era?

Now, if neither console had any exclusive titles, how do you think it would change those figures?
Tue 04/03/03 at 17:04
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
VenomByte wrote:

> Thirdly, I am saying that in complete conrast to current values,
> choosing a console should not be about the games it plays.

What on earth are you talking about? That's the only reason people buy consoles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.