GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anti-Nintendo rant."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 11:57
Regular
(That got your attention, didn't it?)

Nintendo's arrogance annoys me.

As far as I can tell, the overriding reason most people would want to own a Nintendo console is purely because of the games, yes? All the Nintendo fans harp on about their exclusive Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's and so forth. It's these you own the console for, and it's these which give you faith in the company.

Am I far wrong here?

Does it make sense then, that Nintendo restrict these games only to one platform? Does it make sense that a company renowned for it's games abuses this reputation in order to sell hardware which is poorly advertised, badly marketed, and fails to appeal to the majority of gamers?

Nintendo are very good at making games.
Nintendo are not very good at pruducing and selling consoles.
Nintendo care little for marketing techniques and customer service beyond their arrogant attitude that people have to get their console if they want the best games.

I don't like this.

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be a better thing for the gaming public in general if Nintendo were a software-only company?

Diverging slightly, The games industry is in a ridiculous state if you think about it. If you bought a Panasonic DVD player over a Sony one, it's not because it will have DVD's released exclusively for it. You buy it for the hardware, and the hardware alone. That's the way it should be with consoles. Games and games console should be mututally exclusive. That is to say, choosing one should not restrict or otherwise affect your choice of the other.

How long will it take for the industry to become co-operative?

You might say it'll never happen, but I'd disagree. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the overwhelming pace with which the technical requirements of games are increasing, prevents anyone from getting a foothold. Eventually, we'll hit a barrier. Either the games won't become noticably more demanding, or perhaps more likely, the hardware reaches it's limitations. When that happens, we'll see things settle down. Eventually, someone will cotton on to the idea that nobody has any reason to buy a new console which plays a different format of games, so it simply won't take off. We'll then see consoles released which play games currently around, and this will eventually heat up into a situation reminiscent of the VHS VS Betamax rivalry. Sooner or later, one games format will dominate. From then onwards into the forseeable future, all consoles will be released to play those games. No exclusive titles. No other considerations. Just buy the console you want because of the features it has.

And if they are still around, Nintendo will seriously have to change their attiude.
Tue 04/03/03 at 11:57
Regular
"smile, it's free"
(That got your attention, didn't it?)

Nintendo's arrogance annoys me.

As far as I can tell, the overriding reason most people would want to own a Nintendo console is purely because of the games, yes? All the Nintendo fans harp on about their exclusive Mario's, Zelda's, Metroid's and so forth. It's these you own the console for, and it's these which give you faith in the company.

Am I far wrong here?

Does it make sense then, that Nintendo restrict these games only to one platform? Does it make sense that a company renowned for it's games abuses this reputation in order to sell hardware which is poorly advertised, badly marketed, and fails to appeal to the majority of gamers?

Nintendo are very good at making games.
Nintendo are not very good at pruducing and selling consoles.
Nintendo care little for marketing techniques and customer service beyond their arrogant attitude that people have to get their console if they want the best games.

I don't like this.

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be a better thing for the gaming public in general if Nintendo were a software-only company?

Diverging slightly, The games industry is in a ridiculous state if you think about it. If you bought a Panasonic DVD player over a Sony one, it's not because it will have DVD's released exclusively for it. You buy it for the hardware, and the hardware alone. That's the way it should be with consoles. Games and games console should be mututally exclusive. That is to say, choosing one should not restrict or otherwise affect your choice of the other.

How long will it take for the industry to become co-operative?

You might say it'll never happen, but I'd disagree. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the overwhelming pace with which the technical requirements of games are increasing, prevents anyone from getting a foothold. Eventually, we'll hit a barrier. Either the games won't become noticably more demanding, or perhaps more likely, the hardware reaches it's limitations. When that happens, we'll see things settle down. Eventually, someone will cotton on to the idea that nobody has any reason to buy a new console which plays a different format of games, so it simply won't take off. We'll then see consoles released which play games currently around, and this will eventually heat up into a situation reminiscent of the VHS VS Betamax rivalry. Sooner or later, one games format will dominate. From then onwards into the forseeable future, all consoles will be released to play those games. No exclusive titles. No other considerations. Just buy the console you want because of the features it has.

And if they are still around, Nintendo will seriously have to change their attiude.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:01
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
*cue Top Score*

He'll have a field day in a thread like this!

Still, never as good as the reply he made in the 'The Streets responsible for SEGA downfall'post...

Yes, it was a humourous post saying how Mikey Streets and co were responsible but then Top Score went on about something about their games!?!

Oh well...

And how is the customer service bad? I've never needed to phone them so I can't say anything...
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:04
"Darkness, always"
Nintendo are not good at producing consoles?

Obviously you weren't around in the days of the NES or the SNES. Both of which were absolutely massive.

And now just because the Cube isn't on everyone's menu, Nintendo are a bunch of selfish arrogant tarts?

Shut up you fatuous mong.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:08
Regular
Interesting post.

All games could be "forced" by law to be multi-format. I suppose you could say at the moment, it's a bit like having Ford Petrol just for Fords, and Honda Petrol that just runs on Honda cars. People wouldn't put up with that, so why should they denied GTA-VC if they own a Gamecube, or denied Mario if they own an XBox or PS2.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:11
"Darkness, always"
No game could ever be forced by law to be made multi-format. Making a game multi-format increases the project delivery costs and time schedules, and being forced to do such when not prudent could easilly put a company out of business.

The net result would be that fewer games are on the market.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Because that was a crap idea...

Petrol cannot be customised to Ford cars just because Ford don't own any of the market in Petroleum! It would also cost them too much to become part of the market and people don't buy cars because of the fuel, they buy it for the car!

You buy consoles for the games, cars for the car features!

It's like Sony electricity to play your PS2! Don't be stupid!

Games cannot be forced onto all platforms by the law...

Again, you speak crap...
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:29
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
VenomByte wrote:
> (That got your attention, didn't it?)
>
> Nintendo's arrogance annoys me. As far as I can tell, the overriding >reason most people would want to own a Nintendo console is purely because
> of the games, yes?

No, I purchased my Gamecube to use as doorstop.

> Does it make sense then, that Nintendo restrict these games only to
> one platform? Does it make sense that a company renowned for it's
> games abuses this reputation in order to sell hardware which is poorly
> advertised, badly marketed, and fails to appeal to the majority of
> gamers?

Sega did the same until they realised they were going bust. Nintendo won't go bust for a while yet. I tmakes perfect sense to me. Nintendo aren't a young upstart company - they've established a reputation and damn people to hades who suggest they start making games for other consoles.

> Nintendo are not very good at pruducing and selling consoles.

Tell that to the millions of NES, SNES and Gameboy owners from the past 15-20 years.

> Nintendo care little for marketing techniques and customer service
> beyond their arrogant attitude that people have to get their console
> if they want the best games.

Why should they waste god knows how much money on promoting games when the games "speak for themselves?" Anyone remember The Getaway?

> Diverging slightly, The games industry is in a ridiculous state if you
> think about it. If you bought a Panasonic DVD player over a Sony one,
> it's not because it will have DVD's released exclusively for it. You
> buy it for the hardware, and the hardware alone. That's the way it
> should be with consoles. Games and games console should be mututally
> exclusive. That is to say, choosing one should not restrict or
> otherwise affect your choice of the other.

Utter poppycock. The games are the hard work of the company. Why shouldn't Nintendo restrict their games to their own consoles? CHOICE. We have choice, which is a good thing. If you want to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo console. Simple as that. And it's not as if they're expensive either - for the price of 3 PS2/Xbox games, you can pick up a GC.

Why would Nintendo change the habit of a lifetime?
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:33
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Nintendo are not good at producing consoles?
>
> Obviously you weren't around in the days of the NES or the SNES. Both
> of which were absolutely massive.
>
> And now just because the Cube isn't on everyone's menu, Nintendo are a
> bunch of selfish arrogant tarts?
>
> Shut up you fatuous mong.

Did I even mention the Cube, let alone single it out?

Whilst we're talking about the Cube though, let's not forget to mention the N64, which was not exactly a resounding success. In fact you could say that since gaming became more 'mainstream', Nintendo's consoles have begun to fare rather worse, relative to their competitors. Past successes in the 16 bit era count for little, the industry was completely different back then. No doubt you remember Atari's fall from grace.

As for any selfishness or arrogance, I need not tell you that if I mentioned Nintendo's treatment of the European market I wouldn't be the first to do so. Nor would I if I mentioned the thousands who felt conned after the N64's price plummeted so soon after release.
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:41
"Pain In My Dark Cri"
VenomByte wrote:
Did I even mention the Cube, let alone single it out?
>
> Whilst we're talking about the Cube though, let's not forget to
> mention the N64, which was not exactly a resounding success. In fact
> you could say that since gaming became more 'mainstream', Nintendo's
> consoles have begun to fare rather worse, relative to their
> competitors.

What about the gameboy, man? That's sold more consoles than all the Playstations in the world, dude. About 130,000,000 i think.

>Past successes in the 16 bit era count for little, the industry was >completely different back then. No doubt you remember Atari's fall from >grace.

Erm, in what way was the industry different, dude? I mean, it was the same wasn't it?

> As for any selfishness or arrogance, I need not tell you that if I
> mentioned Nintendo's treatment of the European market I wouldn't be
> the first to do so. Nor would I if I mentioned the thousands who felt
> conned after the N64's price plummeted so soon after release.

Yeah, well they've always concentrated on their home market in Japan which p*sses me off but if you're that concerned, Vb, just get a converter...
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:43
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
Nor would I if I mentioned the thousands who felt
> conned after the N64's price plummeted so soon after release.

Nintendo compensated for these customers in exactly the same way Microsoft did when the same thing happened with their Xbox.

Sony treated their PS2 owners even worse on release of their console by giving the majority faulty units! If I remember right, there was a huge number, beginning with 512, in amount of money being spent to repair and replace all the faulty units that had been rushed in for a quick release.

As for unifying the format used for console games. That would be like 02 allowing Vodafone's topup cards to be used on their tariff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.