GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMEADAY=GAMEACON"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/09/00 at 20:35
Regular
Have any of you noticed that most days if you log on at 6pm (I got surftime so it's free after that) then the winner is already announced! I think thats a con! Admins mods can you tell me why I am being conned into spending all my time here making your site look popular when I could just go on a chat room with the knowledge that no one has any of my records like email, whereabouts I live, etc!

Also I have been on this site for over a year! Some people I know from my area have been on once or twice and have won cos they are new members! (Like Python, I know him! He's only been on once or twice and not came back since he won!)
Tue 05/09/00 at 12:30
Right. For a start, stop moaning. Edgy - to me, it seems like you are just bitter because you haven't won anything, so shut it. If they want to give away games at lunchtime, why shouldn't they? It's not like they have to stay up til 12 o'clock and then go through all the days discussions and review comments and cheats, is it? Perhaps they thought the winner for that day was so good, they wouldn't find a better one? I don't know, but you should stop moaning - these people are giving away games for FREE dammit! Which brings me to the second culprit - sad Dan. So you got a broken case...big deal! You got a free game didn't you, what are you complaining about? And whats that rubbish about you being 'awarded' 4 Wheel Thunder - dont you have to pick it yourself? It's not their fault you dont like it, its yours. And it's not like they broke it themselves before they sent it to you, it was broken in the post, so it has nothing to do with them! I happen to know for a fact that once they have sent you your products, once they pass it to Royal Mail or whoever, it is no longer their responsibilty. Besides, don't you think the staff at Speccy have better, more important things to do than send out empty cases?

Anyway, to end my rant, i will say one thing. lay off the staff at Speccy - they give out loads and loads of games for free, and people still complain? Honestly. Oh and Edgy, maybe the reason you haven't won is because you MOAN ALL THE TIME!

Tue 05/09/00 at 12:48
Let's set the record straight. The Gameaday winner is chosen everyday, sometimes on Mondays, after the weekend. Who the winner is... well, that depends on you. We like to give new people a chance to win, which is why you see a lot of new winners on the site. Do you really think it would be fair to keep rewarding the same people with games over and over again? Come on, that's just unreasonable. We like to spread the winners around, most come from discussion comments, some come from review comments, and every now and again, a cheat wins. It has nothing to do with whether you have 'bad-mouthed' Special Reserve in the past, we don't hold grudges against anyone! The winner, quite simply, is the best comment/review/whatever that day, whether it is found at 12.00, 2.00, 6.00 or midnight, like Morrison said - if we like it, they are the winner for that day.

In response to Dan - the Special Reserve team are also very busy - there are a million and one things going on in these offices, I kid you not - and I apologise if your e-mails were not responded to. Just think how many e-mails we get a day - most of them are tat and spam, so you have to forgive us for that. I will look into your broken case, so rest easy about that aswell. If you send me another e-mail confirming what you want and your address, then I will sort it out.

To sum up, all we are saying is that Winners are chosen by us, and we can pick whoever we want to be the winner, whether they are a boy, a girl, whether they have won before or whether they are newcomers to our sites. All of the discussions/comments we receive are great, so keep them coming - it's one of the high points of my day going through all the comments by you mad lot. Just keep it up, but don't be disappointed if you haven't won yet - maybe it will be your turn soon...
Tue 05/09/00 at 13:19
Thanks ali@. That is agreat help, really. I am sorry to complain about the games case - but it wasn't broken in the post as parts of the case were missing.
Anyway - I hope everyone wins. goodbye.
Tue 05/09/00 at 17:11
I'm not complaining or anything of the like as I have not been at this site for very long but can the winner be chosen at random?
For example a while back Diablo won for his "Pokemon Idea" sure it was funny but I'm sure that there were many usefull posts that had solved peoples problems or revealed some news nobody had heared so was it fair to give it to that?
Winning gameaday is a bonus how many other places give away free games.
One more question.
In the Perfect Dark forum I have posted many realy usefull secrets and walkthroughs but have not won. Fair enough they were not the best messages on the day but if there are loads of them couldn't they be added together at a later date?
I spent about 4 hours on this site in one day posting everything i knew and now i have nothing left to say. In other words i blew it all at once leaving me with no way to win.
I'm not askng you to turn over any desicions just think about if its realy fair or not.
Tue 05/09/00 at 17:30
Regular
If I were ye, I would spend more time in the future of gaming forum. If I were ye that is.
Tue 05/09/00 at 18:25
I completely agree, I worked very hard on a message I posted in the WWF forum (I posted after 6, I got surftime too) and I think either a random person is chosen or your view, some guy who has posted nothing or very little. I like writing my opinions and was glad when I found out I could get awarded for them so I enter quite often. All my entrys have been of good quality and what have I got? Nothing, Zip, Ziltch!
Ah well, I suppose I'll have to try again,
Well Done whoever started this topic,
RebelRich
Thu 07/09/00 at 10:47
I haven't won yet, but I'm just having fun posting! I just see it as s a bonus, I'm quite happy to discuss gaming with people who enjoy it. It's nice to see from 'Ali's' reply that SR do read complaints and comments directed at them though. Mind you, I wonder how many people have only posted things until they win and then are never heard from again?!
Thu 07/09/00 at 20:58
Thanks Rebelrich! (I started the topic)

The reason I started the topic was because I don't think it's fair that people that come on here almost everyday get NO credit for coming on the site at all! Others who come on once or twice win a game then S@d off and never return!

Special reserve should make new members wait a while before they give out prizes! This will give new members time to get used to this and stay!

Also, the other day I started a topic in the SNES forum! Someone gave a two line pathetic reply and won! (No offence to whoever posted it) It's just that some people spend all their time on here thinking (or trying to) of original ideas but there time is wasted when someone replies and wins!!!!
Thu 07/09/00 at 21:41
Regular
"Under the Wall"
I feel now that I owe it to Special Reserve to stand up for them. I am very happy to say that today I won my second game a day prize (not trying to rub it in anyone's faces, just showing that it can be done), and although it was a long time between entries (how much of a factor this was I don't know), 2 free games is 2 free games, and I'm very greatful. Anyway, the point being, you can win twice, though speccy may well (quite rightly really) chose to give to lots of people as oposed to, say a bunch of greedy system-milkers with degrees in english or something.

If I were to offer you any advice on helping your odds, I'd tell you to try to write something well thought out, non-offensive, and the kind of thing that could make someone smile when they read it.

Anyway, speccy's good will towards me has pursuaded me to go buy Road Rash for my N64. I suggest you do the same.
Thu 07/09/00 at 21:56
i havent won any free games yet, and i've been posting for weeks, but i'm not going to give up hope, i'll keep posting in hopes that i win, i dont dis special reserve if i dont win, i just try again, its lucky for you to win twice, because most of us are having a hard time winning once! but never mind, i'll keep trying, and now i dont even care anymore, the chances of winning are 1 in a million so whats the point in getting all worked up about it? i just post because i enjoy it, and i enjoy reading and replying to what people say about games and stuff

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.