GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dare I ask........Intel or AMD?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/03/03 at 19:58
Regular
I bet I am gonna start a huge debate, but here goes. I am a gamer, and I want a fast processor. Is there any noticable difference between the AMD Athlon and the Pentium 4 when using a computer? I am talking about the top end ones here, over 2Ghz. I was going to get the P4 2.4Ghz for £1100, but SR have dropped the price, and the one for £1100 now is the AMD 2600+. Is this OK, cos I don't really want to fork out another £100 just to buy pentium.
Tue 11/03/03 at 20:11
Regular
Oh dear the old intel vs AMD war, well if you are going to overclock then i would go for a Pentium 4 as they overclock a lot more than athlons but if you are going for a gaming system and are not into divx movies and a lot of graphical content then got for the AMD, it is purely up to you.

c.b.
Tue 11/03/03 at 10:59
"Darkness, always"
Depends on what speed you're looking for. Right now, the P4 2.4Ghz is a steal, any faster than that, and you're better off with AMD though.
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Depends how much balls you have really. If you're not afraid of overclocking your AMD should blow any P4 out of the water, especially pound for pound. Else, well it's a close call. If I wasn't in to overclocking and I had more money than sense I'd buy a P4.

But that would be madness.
Mon 10/03/03 at 20:47
Regular
Well first of all you gotta take off 400mhz from the AMD to get a comparison to an Intel Pentium processor. ie. an AMD 2600 is equivelent to an Intel 2200. I dont know much about them but i have heard that AMD is the prefered choice. Cant tell you why though as i dont know
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:58
Regular
I bet I am gonna start a huge debate, but here goes. I am a gamer, and I want a fast processor. Is there any noticable difference between the AMD Athlon and the Pentium 4 when using a computer? I am talking about the top end ones here, over 2Ghz. I was going to get the P4 2.4Ghz for £1100, but SR have dropped the price, and the one for £1100 now is the AMD 2600+. Is this OK, cos I don't really want to fork out another £100 just to buy pentium.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.