GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dare I ask........Intel or AMD?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/03/03 at 19:58
Regular
I bet I am gonna start a huge debate, but here goes. I am a gamer, and I want a fast processor. Is there any noticable difference between the AMD Athlon and the Pentium 4 when using a computer? I am talking about the top end ones here, over 2Ghz. I was going to get the P4 2.4Ghz for £1100, but SR have dropped the price, and the one for £1100 now is the AMD 2600+. Is this OK, cos I don't really want to fork out another £100 just to buy pentium.
Fri 28/03/03 at 19:48
Regular
> AMD_MAN wrote:
> What is overcocking (dare i ask) :O
>
> c.b.
>
> I think it's when the processor clocks too much and slows down the
> PC.

from what ive learnt, overclocking is the term used to describe when the processor is commanded to generate extra power, at expense of generating higher heat and, if too much power is shunted through it can damage hardware and your whole system. Overclocking is usually done using windows-based tools and applications. im using gigabyte easytune 4, and it came with the motherboard disc so im guessing its reliable. my CPU is overclocked about 5mhz above normal bus speed (making a total of 140mhz), and is currently operating at 45 degrees C. (wanted to play it safe with a brand new motherboard ;) i know nearly nothing about the limits of my hardware)
Fri 28/03/03 at 17:59
Regular
There will always be a bottle neck (untill they change the way pc's are made)

c.b.
Thu 27/03/03 at 20:16
Regular
"The World is Dead"
it matters more the rest of your system not just the prosessor
Thu 27/03/03 at 09:42
Regular
"lag finder general"
I mean amd
Thu 27/03/03 at 09:42
Regular
"lag finder general"
AND by miles!!!
Wed 26/03/03 at 20:43
Regular
der nazi what sort are you then.

c.b.
Wed 26/03/03 at 16:11
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> I wonder if both chips can do sustained high clocks with normal
> cooling???, i mean are the clocks that we are all saying what we run
> our pc's at 24\7 or while crunching seti?, i know mine is are yours?
>
> just wondering.
>
> c.b.

Yep, I certainly do, believe Rob does as well, but not sure about that. Always on, and crunching when I'm not at it, cooling is largely thanks to the sodding big delta shoved on an otherwise feeble ooold alu heatsink. I'll upgrade to a decent heatsink and stick a quieter 80mm on it when I get some money (and have changed hdd/graphics..)
Tue 25/03/03 at 18:38
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Der Nazi wrote:
> AMD_MAN wrote:
> I must disagree with you turbo as i have used both AMD and P4 (all
> cores) for overclocking and the highesy clockers were the p4's.
>
> What is overcocking (dare i ask) :O
>
> c.b.
>
> I think it's when the processor clocks too much and slows down the PC.

I dunno- I'm not some type of nerd.
Tue 25/03/03 at 18:29
Regular
I wonder if both chips can do sustained high clocks with normal cooling???, i mean are the clocks that we are all saying what we run our pc's at 24\7 or while crunching seti?, i know mine is are yours?

just wondering.

c.b.
Mon 24/03/03 at 23:46
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Well, he may be talking about performance gained as the numbers go up, P4s certainly hit higher totals, but in terms of gain in real world speed from original speed to new one..

Dunno, speculating. Right now we both have beastly chips, heh, mine's an xp1700 running at xp2600 speeds (12.5x166, 2083mhz) - 'tis 49"C at the moment, but I'm using a cooler ripped from a duron 750, so I'll push it a bit more once I've got something a little more advanced on it.

Believe Rob's chip is at 2125mhz atm..must..beat..Turbonutter..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.