GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dare I ask........Intel or AMD?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/03/03 at 19:58
Regular
I bet I am gonna start a huge debate, but here goes. I am a gamer, and I want a fast processor. Is there any noticable difference between the AMD Athlon and the Pentium 4 when using a computer? I am talking about the top end ones here, over 2Ghz. I was going to get the P4 2.4Ghz for £1100, but SR have dropped the price, and the one for £1100 now is the AMD 2600+. Is this OK, cos I don't really want to fork out another £100 just to buy pentium.
Thu 03/04/03 at 20:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> ...or Flashpoint (man that game sucks right now)

BLASPHEMY
Tue 01/04/03 at 19:50
Regular
Well if u do get a good GFX card it should handle does 'wipe off the floor' games on high 32bit with no probs...
Tue 01/04/03 at 19:16
Regular
ya, i got a 2100+ with 512 DDR, but my graphics card aint up to ut2k3, but it wipes the floor with most other games, like C&C Renegade or Flashpoint (man that game sucks right now)
Mon 31/03/03 at 16:06
Regular
I dont think 2ghz + is slow... as long as you have 1.5ghz and 512mb DDR RAM and a fast GFX card it should be fine...... unless its Ut2k3.
Mon 31/03/03 at 07:18
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Until Intel release their 4Ghz project, I think we are stuck with slower PCs- but about 512Mb RAM could help performance.
Sun 30/03/03 at 17:57
Regular
True
Sun 30/03/03 at 16:50
Regular
theres note wrong with amd as far as i can see.

my processor is fine (athlon xp 2100+) but with ut2k3 i get around 25fps on anubis at high settings - im guessing it is because i have a wonderful system, and an adequate geforce II MX, but for these sort of games its just not adequate enough...........
Sun 30/03/03 at 16:46
Regular
oh............................o-kay-eee?
Fri 28/03/03 at 22:50
Regular
I actually know what overclocking is i have been doing it for years, if you read my post i was wondering why turbo put "overcock" instead of "overclock) you see without the "L", it was sarcasm, but hey you guys werent meant to know that :)

The main thing that kills cpu's when overclocking is heat fatigue so as long as you can keep it cool you will be fine, it's the higher voltages that cause the most damage as if you set the voltagr a lot higher than the cpu can take the the track on the cpu corrode and eventually you will get electrons jumping from track to track.

c.b.
Fri 28/03/03 at 19:53
Regular
in answer to your question, i dont know really. i have an Athlon XP 2100+ here, and although it only runs at 1733mhz, the techonology used actually allows it to run as fast as an ordinary 2.1ghz , which is just there to confuse ppl i think. The CPU is reliable, and because my mobo is specifically for Athlon XP i get the best out of it. cool.

Pentium 4? i dont have a clue, but it is creating a lot of fuss, but remember, AMD and Intel are practically rivals, so use it to your advantage and watch them fight to make cheaper and faster CPU :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.