GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Girl Gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/12/01 at 02:46
Regular
Do girl gamers exsist or is it just something we guys dream about during loading times?

I mean i know very very few girl gamers. I once knew a girl which played for a counter strike clan i was in and she was the leader of the clan and no one knew for over a year that she was a female and not male.

My little sister is kinda into gaming but not as serious as us blokes take it.

Also there have been a few games which have tried to get girl gamers interested like barbie and echo the dolphin (yes it is a girls game i mean what bloke would have a dolphin as main charecter).

Gaming is one of those things that can split male's and female's down the middle.

I mean give a man and a woman a choice to either go shopping for the day or play GTA3 all day a guy would almost always chose GTA3 while a female would rather spend money on cloths she'll never wear or need.

And that's another thing you very rarely see females working in game shop's (i said rarely just incase someone starts blabbing "they got a girl in my local game shop") and they also very rarely know what there on about (no offence girls but it's true)

Like today i was in my local rip off merchant EB having a look around and saw a female shop assistant helping what seemed to be a confused mum getting a game.

The Mum said "my son said he'd like mario 64 on the N64 do you have it?"

Female shop assistant "i'll have a look"

A little while later and she comes back with Mario kart and say's to the Mum "we don't have mario 64 but we have mario kart which is the same but the charecters race on little go karts instead" (yes i know funny)

anyway the mum then said "ok i suppose it's not all that different" and bought it.

I then left wishing i could be there xmas day when the kid opens it.

Let's face it i am being a little sexist but if no one can show me a girl who can program a video and wire up a PS2 i'm standing my ground.

Anyway i'm off to wash my hair ;)
Sat 22/12/01 at 16:52
Regular
""
*bet
Sat 22/12/01 at 16:52
Regular
""
I beat Neo-Genetic had a go at you. Huh! =B0)
Sat 22/12/01 at 16:46
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> uk_vamp wrote:
1. what is needed to make
> a DVD drive on win 98SE multi
> region. say it's a pioneer drive (or any other
> region locked drive) with a
> holywood+ mpeg card?

you need a firmware hack for the drive plus something like zone selector for the mpg card

2. when i turn on my PC i
> hear 3 beep's and the
> screen doesn't come on what does this mean?

it means the graphics card isn't in properly or not working

3. Last
> question, i have a
> DVD player and when i play a region 1 disk it's in black and
> white,
> why?

The tv is probably not NTSC

None of those are common knowledge, only tech heads or nerds would
> know the answer to them.

ok myst ignore my silly question's anyway out of interest myst what games do you own and what consoles as i'm a bit interested now in the world of the girl gamer?

oh i've answered the questions above anyway just incase there was another nerd that gave a

it seems that i need to understand girl gamers a bit better and myst should try harder to change pig minded idiots like me :)

muffin anyone?
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:51
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Here's an interesting fact - I have 4 games shops in my town. 3 of them have women for managers, and she tends to know more about it than the male sales assisstant. This sort of attitude towards women just increases the divide. Many women play games already - they just don't all play the testonerone-charged FPSs like CS and UT. Neither do men. The only way to get more women is to encourage them to play, not to assume they would rather buy clothes.
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:49
Regular
uk_vamp wrote:
1. what is needed to make
> a DVD drive on win 98SE multi region. say it's a pioneer drive (or any other
> region locked drive) with a holywood+ mpeg card?

2. when i turn on my PC i
> hear 3 beep's and the screen doesn't come on what does this mean?

3. Last
> question, i have a DVD player and when i play a region 1 disk it's in black and
> white, why?

None of those are common knowledge, only tech heads or nerds would know the answer to them.
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Ah well vamp....

At least we can open our own jars ;)

Sonic :p
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:34
Regular
"Digging!"
my mum didnt even know which button was the on button untill recently. and she carnt program the video.
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Girl Ga,ers are like God...

You just gotta have faith that they exist, and if you do you may find some... If you don't believe they exist you'll never see any!

So girl gamers do exist... God on the other hand...

;-)
Sat 22/12/01 at 12:16
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
uk vamp those Q's prove nothing...

I bet Mystique could give you a set of obscure technology related Q's you couldn't answer... Anyway, I don't know what the hell all those mean... Well I don't have a DVD player, so 1 and 3 I couldn't really be expected to get anyway...
Sat 22/12/01 at 01:01
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Trust me, i've never actually met her but I get the feeling that she can program
> VCR's etc, hell she knows more about DVD players and Electronic doodas than I
> do.

As for playing games, a lot of girls are good at games, my last
> girlfriend used to whoop me on my N64 at quite a few games.

but you let her win didn't you?

We hope...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.