GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Elder Scrolls 3- Morrowind"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.
Mon 17/03/03 at 14:16
Regular
Hi everyone. Just wondering what people think of this game? I recently bought it and can see it has the makings of a great game yet i'm having trouble getting into it. I just seem to wonder around alot of the time trying to complete duties for someone but getting lost! Then by the time i've finally completed the task i've forgotten where the person is i was originally doing the task for in the first place! The journal is about as much help as a chocolate fireguard as well. So what do you lot think? Is it worth perservering with or should i trade it in for something else?
Thu 27/03/03 at 19:14
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I tend to think of the combat as you see it being only a rough guide to what's actually happening.

If I actually swing an axe at someone, they don't just stand there and take it, they'll do their best to get the hell out of the way. If you're a puny eight-stone wizard with no experience at armed combat, attempting to swing a twenty kilo battke axe at me, I'm pretty I'd be able to avoid it.

If I attack someone skilled in martial arts, who knows what they'll pull off?

Realistically, there's no way you can show such complexity of hand to hand combat accurately in game, even from a FPS perspective. The best you can really hope for is just to show who is attacking, when they are attacking, and roughly where they are - which is what Morrowind does. It then simulates all the other factors in the background to decide whether or not a hit lands.

There may be an overly exaggerated difference between starting skills and maximum skills, but Morrowind is all the better for it. There's a greater sense of achievement when you are finally able to fight creatures off, rather than the entire game involving nothing more than repeatedly hitting the 'attack' button, as would be the case if things were done your way.
Thu 27/03/03 at 19:16
Regular
"smile, it's free"
VenomByte wrote:
attempting to swing a twenty kilo *battle* axe at me, I'm pretty *sure* I'd be able to avoid it.

(typo's AND missed words. Ugh)
Fri 28/03/03 at 18:30
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Morrowind only becomes really good after about 50 hours game-time, when your character becomes powerful and you start creating your own magical weapons and items. That's when it turns into a classic. It can be daunting and frustrating in the beginning.

Stick with it and you'll be doing all sorts of things, like flying, summoning personal demons in combat, walking on water, pickpocketing oblivious aristocrats, assassinating people for the Morag Tong Cult..... there's so much in there.
Sat 29/03/03 at 15:25
Regular
"Unretired"
I've started playing morrowind again on my lvl 78 dunmer battlemage.
Haha giving up on morrowind already? You'll regret that....

If your really trully and utterly p***** off with not being able to hit anything try some of these

*Check your stats, maybe you have axe as a misc skill therefore very unlikely to hit anything, if you have long blade or others in your major skills, then use one!

*This is a glitch that may be abused, but if its really getting to you that you cant hit anything then do this.

Buy soultrap spell from balmora mages guild
Travel to sadrith mora, and purchase the wisdom spell

Go back to balmora and create the following spell:

soultrap duration 1 on target
fortify agility on self 100 to 100 for duration 1.

it'll cost you only 70 drakes and you'll need a fairly decent magicka skill.
Now aim at the ground (if you dont the game will crash) and cast the spell.
A glitch in the game means that you will keep that agility forever instead of it dissappearing after the certain time.

You can change agility to whatever you chose but be careful, for example if you choose chameleon, then you will not become visible again and no-one will speak to you, and if you pick water walk you may never go underwater again!

You've been warned!
Sat 29/03/03 at 16:24
Regular
"Laughingstock"
That's an interesting glitch/cheat there.
And level 78. Man, you must be one powerful mutha.
I'm level 57, but I've not played it for a while. I've reached the top of most of the Guilds and Cults.
I think I'll start a new game in the summer. I want to see what the Telvanni get up to.
Tue 01/04/03 at 21:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Was that glitch left in the final XBox version, or are you playing an unpatched PC version?

Seems a bit out of order if that is the XBox version, as that bug was one of the first things fixed on the PC.
Wed 02/04/03 at 11:24
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
i play this game when there are lull's in the gaming scene thats the only times I do heheheheh
Wed 02/04/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Remember me?"
Black Glove wrote:
> Morrowind only becomes really good after about 50 hours game-time....

If a game only becomes good after a whopping 50 hours of playing it, then frankly it's not worth the money.
Wed 02/04/03 at 13:30
Regular
Black Glove wrote:
> Morrowind only becomes really good after about 50 hours game-time,
> when your character becomes powerful and you start creating your own
> magical weapons and items. That's when it turns into a classic. It can
> be daunting and frustrating in the beginning.

I'm sorry but I don't consider a game that has to be played for around 50 hours before it becomes enjoyable as 'a classic'.

It's pathetic!
Wed 02/04/03 at 15:22
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Edgy wrote:
> I'm sorry but I don't consider a game that has to be played for around
> 50 hours before it becomes enjoyable as 'a classic'.
>
> It's pathetic!

No it's not pathetic, it's a game that evolves - you know, like RPGs do. Just because you didn't have the patience or don't have the necessary spirit of adventure doesn't mean Morrowind is pathetic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.