GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NEO 4 chip looks in trouble"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/12/01 at 15:10
Regular
Just paid a visit to www.playstationmods.com to see if they have any info and the page opens with this statment:

Due to recent legal proceedings by Sony towards our sale of the NEO4 chip we have decided to close down all our modchip operations indefinitely.
At the end of the day we work hard on our main games and repairs businesses and it is simply not worth jeopardizing our staffs futures just to do modchips. This is the first time we've been asked to stop supplying modchips by Sony and we will comply without reservation and without prejudice.

Our new online Console Spares & Repair / DVD Player / Games & Gadgets shops will be open in the new year.

Thank you for your support and we hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

oh dear although i can't see how sony can do anything as it's just another mod which is no different to changing a sound card in a PC.
Fri 14/12/01 at 15:29
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
If you want to play imports why dont people get a US or JAP machine. Chips can cost alot to buy and fit, so wouldnt the safest bet be to get a seprate machine for imports.
Fri 14/12/01 at 15:20
"High polygon count"
uk_vamp wrote:
> oh dear although i can't see how sony can do anything as it's just another mod
> which is no different to changing a sound card in a PC.

Rubbish - it's a hell of a lot different!

A mod-chip lets you play pirate and/or import games. While import games are a matter of personal opinion, Sony - as with every other company - spent a lot of money developing anti-piracy systems for the PS2. No security system is ever foolproof, but of course Sony are going to threaten legal action against anyone who tries to sell such technology.

I say good on Sony for protecting their interests, and good on PlayStation Mods for respecting Sony's wishes. Of course, they shouldn't have been producing the chips in the first place.

Comparing a modchip to changing a PC soundcard is fantastically stupid!
Fri 14/12/01 at 15:19
Regular
"Back For Good"
I knew Sony were up in arms about the CD-R/DVD-R boot chip but does this mean i won't be able to get anything to boot imports??
Fri 14/12/01 at 15:10
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
Just paid a visit to www.playstationmods.com to see if they have any info and the page opens with this statment:

Due to recent legal proceedings by Sony towards our sale of the NEO4 chip we have decided to close down all our modchip operations indefinitely.
At the end of the day we work hard on our main games and repairs businesses and it is simply not worth jeopardizing our staffs futures just to do modchips. This is the first time we've been asked to stop supplying modchips by Sony and we will comply without reservation and without prejudice.

Our new online Console Spares & Repair / DVD Player / Games & Gadgets shops will be open in the new year.

Thank you for your support and we hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

oh dear although i can't see how sony can do anything as it's just another mod which is no different to changing a sound card in a PC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.