GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NEO 4 chip looks in trouble"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/12/01 at 15:10
Regular
Just paid a visit to www.playstationmods.com to see if they have any info and the page opens with this statment:

Due to recent legal proceedings by Sony towards our sale of the NEO4 chip we have decided to close down all our modchip operations indefinitely.
At the end of the day we work hard on our main games and repairs businesses and it is simply not worth jeopardizing our staffs futures just to do modchips. This is the first time we've been asked to stop supplying modchips by Sony and we will comply without reservation and without prejudice.

Our new online Console Spares & Repair / DVD Player / Games & Gadgets shops will be open in the new year.

Thank you for your support and we hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

oh dear although i can't see how sony can do anything as it's just another mod which is no different to changing a sound card in a PC.
Tue 18/12/01 at 10:52
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2545966,00.html
Tue 18/12/01 at 10:41
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I've read enough of your posts to know that you're a good man Wookie, so I appologise for making something of the first post. I think the *possibly* and *may* words just got twisted into *are* in my head as I was reading!

I'm planning on posting more often round here, and should leave the import/copying forums alone because I can be quite outspoken on the subject.

oh dear..... I'm going to say more!

Did you buy an American PS2/DVD player to play American DVDs? I remember you (as well as I) bought a swap-disk. Made by the same people that made my import game swap-disk. There's no difference, except that you care about the games industry more than you do about the movie industry. Someone who loves movies with the passion you love games might say that "you should wait for the UK release" or "buy a dedicated Region 1 DVD player" - do these sort of comments sound familiar??

There are loads of examples of "wrong doing", but look at an import game swap-disk without the passion and what have you got?? A piece of plastic to let me play US and JAP games! That's why I bought it.

I'm a big fan of beatmani games (esp. GUITAR FREAKS - I love this game!!! - 38/40 in Famitsu I think), but they are only sold in Japan. The Action Replay plays Japanese games with a simple swap-trick. It also plays copies - the man in HMV told me when I bought it. I think the reason it is allowed to be sold is because it's officially a 'cheat device'. I checked, and they don't actually sell them here at SR - sorry for saying you did!

I don't go to boot sales, and have never even seen a copied game, but I can guess the people who make money from copying are the sort of people who would bottle you for no reason in a bar. I prefer the sort of person who makes his money the old-fashioned way - by working. That doesn't include people sitting on the doll for months/years. I have infinatly more respect for those who work in fast food restaurants.

That's abit about what makes me tick! And it's also why I got a bit annoyed at even a hint of being called a thief.
Tue 18/12/01 at 01:11
"High polygon count"
Tellah wrote:
> The fact that I want to play quality import titles that are not heading to the UK,
> and don't want to buy a new JAP PS2 AND a new US PS2 AND 2 new step down
> transformers, does in no way suggest that I'm a pirate thank-you Wookie.

I didn't say it did. I've said throughout this thread that I don't see any problem with playing imports even though the various console manufacturers do. After all, if they didn't mind, they'd make the machines capable of running games from all regions and let you import games if you wanted to. It baffles me as to why they do it - I can't see that they gain anything financially or otherwise from region-coding.

I also said that MODCHIPS allow you to play pirate games and that most people eventually give in the the free or lower-price option of pirate games. I've never used a swap disc or seen one in action, so whether they allow the use of pirate software or not I don't know.

> And I would be stupid to have 3 PS2s in my flat,
> when I've only got 1 TV.

I don't see how that's particularly relevant as any number of people have more than one console and manage to connect them all to a single TV by some means.

> There's nothing illegal about buying games from
> America or Japan

I never said that import games were illegal. In fact I think I said quite the opposite; you can buy them, so you should be able to play them - it's just that the console companies don't want you to, for whatever reasons.

> I've got nothing to do with copies, and if I
> do buy a swap disk for PS2 when they are released in HMV - who the hell are you
> to say I've got the moral upstanding of a common theif???

I didn't say you *were* - I said you *could be*. In my experience, once people have the option to get something for less or nothing, they invariably take it.

> (That's slander by the way)

Yes, I admit it was a little strong and wasn't worded particularly well... but I did say *possibly* and "you may may not be willing" - I didn't say that you *are* tempted or that you *do* pirate software.

However, in the interests of peace and harmony on the forums, I humbly apologise for any offence caused. I don't wish to fall out with anyone on this particular forum.

I'd be surprised if there was anyone on these forums who hasn't had slightly dodgy software at some point - whether it be games or Shareware that they either haven't paid for or had downloaded a hack off the net. How many of you use WinZIP? It doesn't cease to function if you don't register it - but how many of you have bothered to register it, and how many have though "why bother"? Well, if you've been using WinZIP for more than 21 days and you haven't registered, you are using the software illegally.

If they can create a modchip/bootdisc to allow the playing of imports but not pirate copies, good luck to them - but for as long as they allow pirate games to be played, they should remain illegal. In my opinion.
Mon 17/12/01 at 18:54
good thing they stopped making chips. i was starting to gain 5 pounds a day
Mon 17/12/01 at 10:39
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I couldn't care less about copies. I'm not going to call anyone that buys a swap-disk from Special Reserve a thief. But I know that I can play my favourite PLAYSTATION games on my PLAYSTATION using one.
Including Final Fantasy Chronicles (US) and Guitar Freaks (JAP).
Should I buy 2 more Playstations for these games????! The law doesn't require me too. Only Wookie!
Mon 17/12/01 at 10:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Imports are fine as you are still giving your money to the developer. Swap disks or chips should be designed to play just imports. Region-X plays different region movies, so why cant this be the same for games. If they did bring one out I think that I would get one so and import games MGS2 and Final Fantasy X. I wouldnt not buy UK games but the must have games that arent over here for ages, would be the games I would buy.
Mon 17/12/01 at 10:27
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Sorry about the lateness of the reply! I've just remembered this thread.

The fact that I want to play quality import titles that are not heading to the UK, and don't want to buy a new JAP PS2 AND a new US PS2 AND 2 new step down transformers, does in no way suggest that I'm a pirate thank-you Wookie.
It's like me suggesting you're a total idiot for buying 2 PS2s for your house. I.e. completely unfair comment.
And I would be stupid to have 3 PS2s in my flat, when I've only got 1 TV.
There's nothing illegal about buying games from America or Japan, and you can buy swap disks for PS in HMV, Virgin, Electronics Boutique, Game and here a SPECIAL RESERVE!!!. Are they breaking the law??? No. Neither am I by using it for what it's designed for.
It's already happening with games - Mosquito is just one of the quirky Japanese games that wont see it over hear.
There will be American releases too.
I wasn't talking about pirate games - I was talking about playing imports. It's illegal to make pirate copies, it's not illegal to play imports.
I've got nothing to do with copies, and if I do buy a swap disk for PS2 when they are released in HMV - who the hell are you to say I've got the moral upstanding of a common theif???
(That's slander by the way)
Fri 14/12/01 at 23:43
"High polygon count"
Tellah wrote:
> Forget buying 2 consoles that are IDENTICLE except for
> one tiny modification. That's a disgracefull
> suggestion.

I'm not suggesting it's perfect, but until such time as all the console manufacturers remove region coding from games, it's the only legal way. For as long as mod-chips support pirate games, they will remain illegal.

> You must have money to burn, or are stupid. Anyone with a brain will
> get a swap-disk, or chip.

Neither. I just don't object to paying for things that I want. If I can't afford it, I'll wait until I can.

The situation with games may not be perfect, but it is the way it is. If you aren't willing to pay for the necessary hardware, you're not entitled to play the games, as far as I'm concerned.

We all know full well that if someone has a modchip to play imports, then a 'convenient side-effect' is that it will allow you to use pirate software. The temptation for cheap or free games will be there, and *most* people will make use of that ability - possibly even you. No offence intended, but the very fact that you're not willing to pay for the hardware suggests that you may not be willing to pay for the software either.

My PS2 is in my room, cabled in on a semi-permanent basis. I'm considering buying another for the living room downstairs for when friends and family visit. Hence if I was interested in import games, I'd have no hesitation in buying an import machine. You can call me stupid if you want, but I have no intention whatsoever of letting anyone put anything inside my PS2 that Sony didn't intend to be there.
Fri 14/12/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
As some people have said before it can cost £100 or more to chip a PS2. So have said £150. For that money I would rather buy a US/JAP PS2 for that extra bit more. If they release a product like Region - X or maybe a USB device which would allow imports to be played then I would get that rather than a US/JAP PS2. Chipping can cause the PS2 to break. I have had my PS1 chipped for 3 years and it still is working(was when I last used it). But chipping can go wrong. I wouldnt want somebody opening up my PS2 to put a chip in it that may cost £150 to buy and fit only to find out that it breaks after a few months and I need to spend another £200 to get a UK PS2 and then either get it chipped or get a US/JAP PS2. If you are serious at importing games you will want to spend that little bit extra on a US/JAP PS2 as you will at least know it will work. Also import games are maybe about £10-15 more than UK games so if you can afford to shell out for alot of import games then getting a US/JAP PS2 is a much better option at the moment.
Fri 14/12/01 at 18:30
Regular
"Bah"
Most games are pretty reasnoable in price bow compared to the PS games @ £50, but if you want to play imports etc is there a swap disk available, and the problem with this is the same as before, pirating. Games are sold at reasnoable prices on many sites - as low as £29.99 i paid for tony hakws 3,l you just gotta shop around
MM

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.