GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NEO 4 chip looks in trouble"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/12/01 at 15:10
Regular
Just paid a visit to www.playstationmods.com to see if they have any info and the page opens with this statment:

Due to recent legal proceedings by Sony towards our sale of the NEO4 chip we have decided to close down all our modchip operations indefinitely.
At the end of the day we work hard on our main games and repairs businesses and it is simply not worth jeopardizing our staffs futures just to do modchips. This is the first time we've been asked to stop supplying modchips by Sony and we will comply without reservation and without prejudice.

Our new online Console Spares & Repair / DVD Player / Games & Gadgets shops will be open in the new year.

Thank you for your support and we hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

oh dear although i can't see how sony can do anything as it's just another mod which is no different to changing a sound card in a PC.
Thu 20/12/01 at 10:06
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I think they do. I remember on another forum, some guy had GT3 imported and his Jap memory card wiped his file. So he was going to get a UK one. Iam pretty sure that controllers and memory cards work on any machine. You may want to check it out first before buying.
Thu 20/12/01 at 00:23
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
thanx for clearing that up
Wed 19/12/01 at 20:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Controllers and memory cards work on any machine.
Wed 19/12/01 at 17:47
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
In the future of gaming chat there was a thread about borders in UK games the good thing about imports as there NTSC and run full screen yet another reason to buy import

also i know where i can get a memory card for PS2 for £15 on import will this work on my UK machine plus will US joypads ect work on my machine?
Wed 19/12/01 at 17:04
Regular
Benja man wrote:
> companies like neo4 just relie on the ps2 and suck on the game publisher hard
> effort, piracy does harm the publishers although i think it should be ok to buy
> imports.

Publishers dont make games, the effort is put in by the developers.
Tue 18/12/01 at 22:38
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
companies like neo4 just relie on the ps2 and suck on the game publisher hard effort, piracy does harm the publishers although i think it should be ok to buy imports.
Tue 18/12/01 at 21:36
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Slaveunit wrote:
> but if you win a game from here it won't work!

Why wont it work ?
Tue 18/12/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
but if you win a game from here it won't work!
Tue 18/12/01 at 16:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
What I forgot to mention was price. Region 1 DVD's that I get are as cheap if not cheaper than Region 2 discs. So iam not spending any extra money out, in fact iam saving money and get DVD's months ahead of the Region 2 release.

Games on the other hand are more expensive. PS2 import games are about £50 for US ones and maybe abit more for brand new Jap games. But here on SR PS2 games are between £33 - £39 depending on the game. Most games sit nicely at the £35/6 mark. So £15 more for one game is quite expensive. It may be ok if you only buy the odd game like MGS2 and FFX. But then you still are paying for 2 games when that money could have bought the UK releases of those games and another game aswell.

Some people may not care about the expense but I would rather wait for the UK release date than pay these higher prices.
Tue 18/12/01 at 16:26
"High polygon count"
adrian wrote:
> The films that are shown in the US can actually come out
> over here really quickly. Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy
> had only been out a few weeks before they came out over here.

True, they can - but as you've also indicated, more oten than not, they don't and we have to wait months. The situation has got better very recently though.

Hopefully it may eventually lead to a situation where there is little or no delay and we get DVD's at the same time, eliminating the need for a delay.

I'd rather we were considered Region 1 with DVD's anyway, as just like in the US/Canada we all speak English as a primary language. We should be grouped with them, and have just English on our discs, rather than tolerating reduced extras for the sake of 17 different Euro languages and their subtitles which we'll never use!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.