GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola FORMMAIL broken"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/03/11 at 09:20
"Are you sure?"
Just to add some details (as I see things) for other Freeola customers in the same position as me this morning with the 'formmail' outage.

The Service Status items reads:

Formmail on Unlimited Hosting Servers 17/3/11 8:32 AM:
We are currently investigating an issue with Formmail message sending on our free hosting servers. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this and we will resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

I'm finding forms using 3rd party scripts are still working and the email arrives as normal.

The problem is with sites using Freeola's formmail PHP script where visitors will receive a 'ERROR 500, Problem Running a Script..." message when attempting to submit the form.

Will be rather frustrating if they've just spend 20mins typing something!

*spooky* Someone's just contacted me via my non-Freeola form while I'm typing this!

If others are seeing anything different please post.
Hopefully this will be a quick fix.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/03/11 at 18:43
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out.

All seems to be well here Hmmm.....tests sent at 18.38 and received at 18.38 even though it did 'hang' following captcha and I did begin to wonder :¬)
Tue 29/03/11 at 17:54
"Are you sure?"
I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/03/11 at 17:51
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:
Re. "50ish people"
Sounds like you might be doing something different to me.

Previously my form submissions were as good as instant - now you can see some [i]processing
going on - but at least it's now working ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

I have a 'proper' form submission but I also use a script to submit updates to a mailing list.

The form mail now sits and thinks about things for a bit before returning whereas, like you, it used to be pretty instant.

It looks like the third party script is taking 50 x 'a bit' to process.

JTD
Tue 29/03/11 at 17:47
"Are you sure?"
Re. "50ish people"
Sounds like you might be doing something different to me.

Previously my form submissions were as good as instant - now you can see some processing going on - but at least it's now working ;¬)

When I wrote I could see image placeholders when a page loaded for the first time - not a normal occurrence. But now things do seem improved.
(NB I'm pretty sure it's not my Freeola ADSL connection! as it's only affecting certain sites)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/03/11 at 17:38
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:
Cheers JTD :¬)

I think others (non-forum customers) will probably find out the hard way over the coming weeks :¬(

Re. Speed.
Are you noticing that sites/images don't seem to be quite so snappy loading (standard hosting) ?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Re speed: I've been thinkning for a while now that sites are taking a while to load - again, thought it was my connection at fault. Browsing seems to speed up after a while though..

The other thing I've noticed about the speed is the amount of time it's taking for the mail script to return. It's taking so long to send a moderatly small text email I don't know if it's crashed or is still working on it.

As I write this the script finished - took about 5 minutes to send a text email to 50ish people.

Not great but better than not working.

I'll keep an eye on the image loading.

JTD

Edit: Timed a script to susmit text email to 50 people via thrid part script - started 17:40 finished 17:46. SIX minutes to do what used to take no more than 10-20 seconds..
Tue 29/03/11 at 17:27
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
3rd party scripts need changing if they follow the previous Freeola instructions here
-f is no longer required and will now make the script fail.

Just to update so say the -f instructions have been pulled from the page I linked to.

@Freeola - sorry if it's just me, but do you think this change could have been better communicated to your customers?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/03/11 at 15:45
"Are you sure?"
Cheers JTD :¬)

I think others (non-forum customers) will probably find out the hard way over the coming weeks :¬(

Re. Speed.
Are you noticing that sites/images don't seem to be quite so snappy loading (standard hosting) ?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 29/03/11 at 15:22
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:
For the info of others, even though this only seems to be affecting me!?

Received a reply to my ticket.
3rd party scripts need changing if they follow the previous Freeola instructions here

I would have thought it was worth mentioning this on the Status Page rather than just closing the item to make it easier for others to find?

*sigh* Thanks Hmmm.... good job I rewrote all of my mail procedure to only call the one script. :o)

FWIW formmail scripts seem to run much slower than before.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Also - good info - I had noticed this but thought it was my laptop/browser/connection.

many thanks for the update.

JTD
Tue 29/03/11 at 14:37
"Are you sure?"
For the info of others, even though this only seems to be affecting me!?

Received a reply to my ticket.

I would have thought it was worth mentioning this on the Status Page rather than just closing the item to make it easier for others to find?

FWIW formmail scripts seem to run much slower than before.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: I've updated my ticket.

FYI: The captcha code used with the standard Freeola script is often unreadable. This example is: box box z box box
Please let me know if you can't recreate this and need more details.

EDIT2: The captcha issue has now been fixed!
Tue 29/03/11 at 14:13
"Are you sure?"
I see this item has been closed on the Status page - Freeola's script seems to be back but I'm still getting "Error 500" on 3rd party ones (Tectite).

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.