GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Legend of Zelda"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda'.
Fri 28/03/03 at 13:53
Regular
Ever since the early 1990s, when GMTV showed the 13-epsiode long series of The Legend of Zelda cartoons, whilst Mr. Motivator was pumping his stuff with baked beans cans and aerobics mats, i have been a great fan of The Legend of Zelda. A lot of people said the cartoon series was annoying, but it had a certain originality to it that made the other popular cartoons of the time seemed to lack.

It was about a princess, named Zelda, a teenage elf named Link, an evil wizard with pig-like features named Gannon and three jewels named the Triforce. Because the series was so short, only two of these jewels were ever focused upon, the red Triforce of Power, in the hands of the evil Ganon, and the blue Triforce of Wisdom, in the safe keeping of Princess Zelda. As Zelda's friend, Link, who wanted to be more than just friends, helped to keep the balance of power in order by protecting the Triforce of Wisdom safe from Gannon. Ofcourse, this led to some brilliant stories that could only be told in animated cartoons.

Now, thirteen years on, Nintendo have developed the story so much that it only resembles what it originally was in the cartoon and original NES game. But this is not, by all means, a bad thing. Who would want to play eight or nine different accounts of the same story? No one, and that's why each Zelda game has a new feel to it, that makes it unique from all the others and why the series is just as strong as it has ever been, if not stronger!

But Nintendo are doing something now that is to tease Zelda fans all over the world. First, Nintendo releases A Link to the Past, a Super Nintendo game, on the Game Boy Advance. Everyone, like me, wants to play this amazing game again, and so buys it. But it is just a port, despite it having the new Four Swords multiplayer game, a first for a Zelda title. Then, on May 3rd, Nintendo will be releasing a port of their Nintendo 64 title, Ocarina of Time, as well as the N64DD title that was never released, Ura Zelda, or Master Quest as it has now been renamed, with the brand new game The Wind Waker.

First of all, I know this sounds like I am complaining, but seriously, I couldn't be happier with Nintendo! They're potentially releasing five Legend of Zelda games across two systems in less than two months! This ofcourse will boost sales of Nintendo's knew Game Boy Advance SP, the frontlit Game Boy Advance, and sales of the GameCube will most likely be considerably higher than the Playstation 2's for atleast that week in May, as they were when Metroid boosted sales of the GameCube very recently.

Message boards across the net are already filling up with topics about Zelda, especially now that both the GBA cartridge and the GameCube discs are released in Japan and the United States. It is only a matter of time before the same fate reaches the shores of the British Isles and shops all across the country apologise to many gamers for selling out of their stock.

2003 is a brilliant year for gamers like me, and I can't wait for The Wind Waker's release on the GameCube. What's more, with so many mythical tales being popular at this time, Lord of the Rings being one of them, it is a brilliant time for Shigeru Miyamoto to release his own interactive mythical tale.

Edgy - currently playing A Link to the Past.
Sat 26/04/03 at 13:15
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I love all of the Zelda games, but sadly I thought that Marjora's Mask was the worst one, that is my personal opinion. The reason being it didn’t feel fresh to me.

The graphics where similar to OTT, which isn’t a bad thing but that’s what made OTT stand out. It was a leap forward on what the Zelda games weren’t about, the graphics. For the first time we had realistic (but not too realistic) graphics mixed with the great gameplay of the franchise.

The controls were the same, which again wasn’t a bad thing as finally someone had got it right on the concept of handling. But again this is what made OTT stand out and feel fresh. So this just made MM feel like it was copying.

The thing for me that makes Zelda games, are the dungeons with the mix of being able to roam a landscape at will. In search of hidden extras, clues on what to do, or just have good ol’ fun. It’s really the dungeons that have the concentration, action and think factor. While the puzzles outside the dungeons tended to be take this here at the right time and get a reward.

So in these games the mix of the different types of play was right, but in MM it was like the game was one big mini game. Mini games are great, as they are a distraction from the main game adding a bit of variety and preventing it becoming monotonous. But the main part of the Zelda games was the dungeons, trying to get into them, navigate them and solve the ever-changing puzzles that they hold.

MM seemed to forget this though, and it started to become one big mini game, so you just found yourself wandering from one place to another just to get a mask to get another mask. Once you had got one or two masks, you had basically played the whole game, as getting the other masks was the same idea. Turn up in the right place at the right time (sometimes with the right item) and get a mask and that was it. I felt that not enough emphasis was put on the dungeons and action parts of the game.

This is why I personally feel that Marjora's Mask was the worst in the series. But don’t get me wrong it was still a great game, which was worth the effort in playing. I just didn’t think that the different parts of the gameplay were broken up in the correct amounts compared to the others in the series.
Sat 26/04/03 at 11:58
Regular
The oracle games were class just damn hard.

I used to play my old Zelda games all the time I just don't have the time anymore.

Although shorter (a bit) Marjora's Mask was far more intelligent than Ocarina of Time but again more like a step sideways than a step forward. Oh and the saving is sht!

When I got the first Zelda (gold edition) signed by Shigsy i got my friend to sign Zelda 2 (gold edition) but he thought I wanted Mario Sunshine signed instead :P

Idiot.
Sat 26/04/03 at 00:32
Regular
I wasn't too keen on the Oracle games - they were ok, but had exactly the same style as Link's Awakening, which, although was great, is still the best Game Boy Zelda I've played.

Majora's Mask didn't feel so fresh to me...but I never really got into it...I suppose when I buy my brother's N64 and games off him, I'll be able to give it a better chance.

Ocarina of Time is still one of my favourite games ever, rating level with A Link to the Past in my opinion. I can't wait to play it on my GameCube :)
Thu 24/04/03 at 02:18
Regular
What bothers me about the Zelda series is how everyone seems to forget about Majoras Mask... its as if the last game was Ocarina of Time. (The last 3 games were in fact all Gameboy ones).

I loved Majoras Mask more due to the increased interaction. One thing I admire about Zelda is that it always stays the same but always feels fresh as the big gameplay edition is different in each game and makes them always a joy to play, they have to change tact in Mario Kart but Zelda has a new puzzle instrument each time...

Ocarina of Time - Ocarina based puzzles
Majora's MAsk - Mask based puzzles
Oracle of Seasons - Season altering based puzzles
Oracle of Ages - Time travelling based puzzles.
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:52
"period drama"
I've never played a Zelda either, god have mercy upon my soul.

But I've claimed it for my GAD, so shall be soon be playing it, and OOT, which (so I hear) kick some serious bootang.
I'm quite moist with excitement.
Sat 05/04/03 at 14:41
"possibly impossible"
I'm going to eventually get a GP32 and play all the old SNES games and NES games on that, as well as waiting for the lovely Gamecube version to appear through my door in May.

Didn't those Zelda cartoons come out on DVD? I thought I saw them.

Yey Nintendo.
Tue 01/04/03 at 21:51
Regular
Having had the misfortune of NEVER playing a Zelda game, I'm getting quite giddy...
Sat 29/03/03 at 14:44
Regular
The axe is still with me, ready for my every hunt as and when I need it. But lately I have been training with a sword. Quite a powerful sword that I found in a strange forest. It was set in stone and I couldn't quite pull it out. So I got out my axe and smashed the stone.

Anyway, I can't stop whistling the Zelda theme now! It's always in my head! It has brought back many memories of being sat infront of an old TV with a bean-bag holding the amazingly comfortable SNES controller as I worked my way through each and every dungeon until I had completed the game and unlocked all secrets.

I shall return to my GBA very soon...I'll have to get myself an SP when I can afford one for batteries are expensive and I don't like the EB adaptor that came with my GBA...
Fri 28/03/03 at 14:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
Duh! Cool post Edgy. Where have you been hiding recently? Oh and where's the axe? Anyway... Yeah, I have an incredible strange urge to play Zelda: Ocarnia of Time on my N64... Better have a duster handy.
Fri 28/03/03 at 13:53
Regular
Ever since the early 1990s, when GMTV showed the 13-epsiode long series of The Legend of Zelda cartoons, whilst Mr. Motivator was pumping his stuff with baked beans cans and aerobics mats, i have been a great fan of The Legend of Zelda. A lot of people said the cartoon series was annoying, but it had a certain originality to it that made the other popular cartoons of the time seemed to lack.

It was about a princess, named Zelda, a teenage elf named Link, an evil wizard with pig-like features named Gannon and three jewels named the Triforce. Because the series was so short, only two of these jewels were ever focused upon, the red Triforce of Power, in the hands of the evil Ganon, and the blue Triforce of Wisdom, in the safe keeping of Princess Zelda. As Zelda's friend, Link, who wanted to be more than just friends, helped to keep the balance of power in order by protecting the Triforce of Wisdom safe from Gannon. Ofcourse, this led to some brilliant stories that could only be told in animated cartoons.

Now, thirteen years on, Nintendo have developed the story so much that it only resembles what it originally was in the cartoon and original NES game. But this is not, by all means, a bad thing. Who would want to play eight or nine different accounts of the same story? No one, and that's why each Zelda game has a new feel to it, that makes it unique from all the others and why the series is just as strong as it has ever been, if not stronger!

But Nintendo are doing something now that is to tease Zelda fans all over the world. First, Nintendo releases A Link to the Past, a Super Nintendo game, on the Game Boy Advance. Everyone, like me, wants to play this amazing game again, and so buys it. But it is just a port, despite it having the new Four Swords multiplayer game, a first for a Zelda title. Then, on May 3rd, Nintendo will be releasing a port of their Nintendo 64 title, Ocarina of Time, as well as the N64DD title that was never released, Ura Zelda, or Master Quest as it has now been renamed, with the brand new game The Wind Waker.

First of all, I know this sounds like I am complaining, but seriously, I couldn't be happier with Nintendo! They're potentially releasing five Legend of Zelda games across two systems in less than two months! This ofcourse will boost sales of Nintendo's knew Game Boy Advance SP, the frontlit Game Boy Advance, and sales of the GameCube will most likely be considerably higher than the Playstation 2's for atleast that week in May, as they were when Metroid boosted sales of the GameCube very recently.

Message boards across the net are already filling up with topics about Zelda, especially now that both the GBA cartridge and the GameCube discs are released in Japan and the United States. It is only a matter of time before the same fate reaches the shores of the British Isles and shops all across the country apologise to many gamers for selling out of their stock.

2003 is a brilliant year for gamers like me, and I can't wait for The Wind Waker's release on the GameCube. What's more, with so many mythical tales being popular at this time, Lord of the Rings being one of them, it is a brilliant time for Shigeru Miyamoto to release his own interactive mythical tale.

Edgy - currently playing A Link to the Past.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.