GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Royals/Royal Weddings - do we need them?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/11/10 at 09:23
"possibly impossible"
With the announcement of the impending wedding of Kate and Prince William the country seems to have been made a little brighter in times of trouble.

Or at least that's what the press wants you to think. Does it, though, matter in this day and age whether a royal wedding is taking place? Is anyone that bothered by our Royal family any more?

The Case For
There certainly are plenty of people excited by a royal wedding. It does seem to be more of a soap opera style event though, a case of forgetting your own troubles for a fantasy wedding, the likes of which we haven't seen since Charles and Diana.

Companies who will benefit from merchandising must be happy too, plates, nick nacks and all sorts of anything that can have the likenesses of the Prince and his fiancée marked upon them will be being prepared for next year with the view of making money.

It will bring in visitors from other countries too, especially those royal-mad US citizens who will come over in their droves and hopefully bring some money into the country.

It may also mean that we have the option of another future King and Queen in addition to Charles and Camilla, a somewhat preferable one at that according to some.

The Case Against
Money. It will cost a fortune in a country that can barely afford to keep itself going at the moment. OK, so the Royal Family has publicly agreed to help out themselves, something unheard of in the past, but it will still be a drain.

Also, an official day off is going to have an effect on business. Many business are going to have to stay open and to do that they'll have to pay their staff more just to stay at work on a holiday, it's estimated to cost British business millions extra.

And do we really care about this couple? Aren't the royals outdated anyway?
Tue 30/11/10 at 22:28
"possibly impossible"
I think if we lose the royals we lose another part of what makes England England. I agree that they bring in money and tourists.

They may have been controversial but then part of that is the media and we all know what webs they can spin. I'm not saying they're all good but I do think they still serve a purpose.
Tue 30/11/10 at 22:09
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:
pb wrote:

[i]Aren't the royals outdated anyway?

Yes.[/i]

In what way are they outdated?

And

Are you implying that anything old has no value?
Tue 30/11/10 at 21:49
Regular
"How Ironic"
pb wrote:
And do we really care about this couple?
No.

Aren't the royals outdated anyway?
Yes.
Tue 30/11/10 at 21:25
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Hmmm... wrote:
Well I like the Royal Family!
I think our British history is interesting.

I'm sure they bring in more money than they cost us.
...and I would much rather our taxes pay for them than wasting it on some religious bloke in a dress like we did earlier in the year! :¬P

That's basically my feelings too. They bring in far more than they cost and I feel that by having this unelected head of state, it somewhat keeps political egos grounded. I also think the Queen has done a fantastic job of leading by example and being a calming influence.
Tue 30/11/10 at 20:14
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Butch wrote:
Personally, I couldn't care less about the Royal Family. Never have, never will. I feel they are outdated and archaic, although I do appreciate they bring plenty of tourists to the capital.

However, I am all in favour of the wedding if it means me getting a free day off work.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. The only member of the Royal Family I ever liked was the Queen Mother, the rest of them I couldn't care less about.
Tue 30/11/10 at 18:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Butch wrote:
However, I am all in favour of the wedding if it means me getting a free day off work.

Assuming that Freeola will be able to dispense of your admirable services on the day in question, eh Butch :¬)
Tue 30/11/10 at 17:25
"Are you sure?"
Well I like the Royal Family!
I think our British history is interesting.

I'm sure they bring in more money than they cost us.
...and I would much rather our taxes pay for them than wasting it on some religious bloke in a dress like we did earlier in the year! :¬P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 30/11/10 at 12:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I can't think how it could matter more (in a general "overstatement to get my point across" kinda way).

The Royal family represent an English tradition, an institution. It's our roots, and I think the majority (and more or less all of us on here have said it somewhere along the lines) realise that we seem to be losing that in this day and age.

I'm not saying we should cling on to the past, or that there is anything wrong with things now. But we should not forget our roots, and that was a powerful country ruled by a monarchy.

The Royal wedding is tradition, and I will certainly watch (for 1 minute before getting bored), and have a drink to celebrate.
Tue 30/11/10 at 10:54
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Don't really care that much, but of course the media will. Heard so much about them before, that it wasn't really a suprise. Think people are just interested in having a day off, but as you said that will also effect buisness days etc...
Tue 30/11/10 at 09:49
Regular
"And in last place.."
Put me in the Against category.

I tend not to get too excited about weddings involving people I don't personally know.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.